Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Saturday 3rd February 2018

Evo-Stik League South East

The Meadow, Chesham Attendance: 116

Aylesbury United

0 2

Kempston Rovers

  Half-time: (0-1)  
Mo SAMPATPlayer Image1
12 87m Jeanmal PROSPERPlayer Image2
Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image3
(c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
Callum MAPLEYPlayer Image5
Ollie HOGGPlayer Image6
Harry JONESPlayer Image7
Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image8
Horatio HIRSTPlayer Image9
Ben SEATONPlayer Image10
15 52m Aaron COUCHPlayer Image11
2 87m Gavin HINDS-CADETTEPlayer Image12
Ollie STANBRIDGEPlayer Image14
711 52m Aaron BERRYPlayer Image15
  Ben WILLIAMSManager ImageM
1Player ImageCarl KNOX
2Player ImageRobbie GOODMAN
3Player ImageHateley MERCER12 76m 
4Player ImageSeb SIMPSON (c)
5Player ImageAlex STOYLES
6Player ImageAlex COLLARD
7Player ImageSam JOHNSON16 65m 
8Player ImageIeuan RILEY14 46m 
9Player ImageJake NEWMAN
10Player ImageJamaine IVY
11Player ImageLuke HENEGHAN
12Player ImageKyal MCNULTY3 76m 
14Player ImageNathan TSHIKUNA8 46m 
15Player ImageAsh FULLER
16Player ImageJosh CRAWLEY7 65m 
Match Report



Match report by Ian Pluck

Manager Ben Williams made just two changes to the starting line up for the visit of Kempston Rovers; new signing Mo Sampat replacing Jack Sillitoe in goal, who faces a 6-8 week lay-off following the injury sustained at Uxbridge last week, and Aaron Couch lining up on the left side of midfield in place of Connor Furlong who has returned to his parent club MK Dons following the completion of his loan spell. The second new signing of the week, Aaron Berry took a place on the substitute’s bench.

Right from the off, the Ducks came under pressure, as uncertain defending following a Jack Wood defensive header saw the ball fall to visiting skipper Seb Simpson 25 yards from goal, who hit a first time shot just over the crossbar.

Following this, Callum Mapley hit a long diagonal ball to Harry Jones on the right wing; his cross was deflected behind for a corner which was taken by Ollie Hogg and met by the head of Wood but was directed over the bar.

After 15 minutes Jones had a good chance to open the scoring; a free kick in the centre circle was taken quickly by Hogg, placing the ball inside former Duck Hateley Mercer, setting the wide man free on goal with just the keeper to beat. However his shot was straight at Knox and easily saved.

A training ground free kick routine saw Jake Bewley make a run down the side of the wall and collect a pass from Mapley; his driven cross across the six-yard box was palmed away for a corner by Knox.

Just before the half hour mark, a long throw was headed across goal by Jeanmal Prosper as far as Robbie Goodman at the far post, who shot over the crossbar. Five minutes later Ollie Hogg was dispossessed by Sam Johnson in the middle of the park, who sent the ball wide to Jake Newman on the left. The striker cut inside but saw his shot blocked away for a corner by Mapley. Luke Heneghan’s first delivery was sliced behind by Bewley; his second attempt was headed goalward by Alex Collard, but blocked and rebounded out to the former Ducks favourite. His follow up shot was lacking power, but was deflected twice, wrong footing debutant keeper Sampat and trickling into the corner of the net to give the visitors the lead. 1-0 Kempston

It was a cruel blow for the home side, having had the majority of the possession in the match so far. Four minutes before the break, a ball through the defence saw Horatio Hirst through on goal, but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Collard got back well to make a goal saving block.

The last action of the half saw Ieuan Riley lucky to escape an early bath. Following an earlier yellow card for a foul, he lunged in high on Greg Williams, but would have been relieved to see the referee give him the benefit of the doubt and issue a stern warning instead of a card.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Kempston

After a slow start to the half, manager Williams made his first change of the half after 10 minutes, with Aaron Berry making his debut in place of Aaron Couch, joining Hirst up front with the Ducks changing shape to a 4-4-2. Berry almost made a dream start, as good combination with strike partner Hirst saw him have space to get a shot away from the edge of the penalty area, sadly the shot was narrowly wide of the target.

On the hour mark, a good run down the left by Newman resulted in the ball being crossed to Simpson joining the attack. His shot was deflected off a Ducks defender and crashed off the post with Sampat well beaten.

Berry was again involved shortly afterwards, this time he held the ball up well and played it to Hogg, whose shot from 20 yards was weak and didn’t trouble Knox.

With fifteen minutes on the clock, Jones did well to beat 3 defenders on the right and passed to Berry, who this time saw his shot saved. Berry was proving to be a bright spark in his cameo from the bench. With 9 minutes left on the clock he collected a pass from Greg Williams and turned Alex Stoyles on the edge of the area and had a strong shot saved at the expense of a corner.

With nothing to show for the possession in the second period, the Ducks gifted a second and crucial goal to the visitors. Sampat collected the ball and attempted to get it back into play quickly. His throw out caught Mapley on his heels, the ball skipping past him off the slick wet surface. Left winger Heneghan collected the ball and advanced past Mapley towards the penalty area, where he drove a shot from 20 yards past Sampat to double the lead. 2-0 Kempston

With the game well into added on time, Newman beat the offside line and rounded Sampat; however the third goal wasn’t forthcoming as the striker dithered before shooting, allowing Bewley to get back on the line and block his shot away for a corner.

The final action of the match in the 6th minute of added on time saw a long ball from Hogg find Jones, who did extremely well to control the ball and shoot, only to see his effort go wide of the target.

A frustrating afternoon for all in green and white and their supporters. Despite having the majority of the possession, decision making and decisiveness in both penalty areas cost them dearly. Plenty for manager Ben Williams to ponder as he plans ahead of next week’s match at Fleet Town.