Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by Ian Pluck

Following the win at Fleet last week, manager Ben Williams was forced to make one change to the starting line up, with Aaron Berry forced to miss the match against his former club with a broken toe. Ben Seaton replaced the striker, with Maciej Tajs and Jamie Keen starting on the bench, the latter having signed on for the club this week.

Against a team which has had wholesale changes to their squad since the recent arrival of new manager Simon Lane and has only picked up one point in their last 7 games, the Ducks started cautiously. Indeed, the first quarter of the match went by with very little goalmouth action of note to report. The closest either side came to testing the goalkeeper came in the 20th minute, after the Ducks forced a corner down the left. Jake Bewley’s delivery was headed back into the six-yard box, where a scramble ensued before the ball was cleared.

The breakthrough wasn’t long in coming though, as a through ball found Horatio Hirst in a good position. He turned and shot, but saw his attempt hit the near post, but Jeanmal Prosper was alert and following up to tap in his first goal for the Ducks. 1-0 Aylesbury

Straight from the kick off the Sarnies called home keeper Jack Hopwood into action for the first time. A cross field pass found Dylan Randall on the left, who managed to find space to shoot towards the far corner of Hopwood’s net, only to see the keeper make a smart save to keep out his effort.

The next attack saw Ben Seaton pick out Hirst on the right, who played in Harry Jones; the youngster’s first time shot was well saved by Matthew Nolan at his near post.

The Ducks were well into their stride by now and in the 26th minute extended their lead. Hirst did well to force a corner on the left, which was taken by Ollie Hogg to the near post. Prosper rose above the defence and headed across goal, where skipper Jack Wood stole in at the far post to tap in. 2-0 Aylesbury

By now the Ducks were in total control of the game, reacting fastest to the second balls and winning tackles at will. In the 33rd minute a long diagonal ball by Seaton inside the full back found Jones, who advanced into the penalty area before shooting and drawing a good save from Nolan.

As the half was nearing completion came the golden moment of the game. A corner was cleared as far as Hogg, who found Callum Mapley infield. He in turn found evergreen midfielder Greg Williams in space, who looked up and curled a delicious shot into the far corner form 25 yards; a fine way to celebrate the birth of his son 3 days earlier! 3-0 Aylesbury

Half-time: Aylesbury 3-0 Egham

The start of the second half saw Hirst replaced by Aaron Couch, after the striker sustained an injury to his foot in the closing stages of the first half.

The visitors, no doubt on the end of an ear bashing from their manager during the break, had the first opportunity of the second period. A ball down the left side found Brendan Matthew, who looked up and forced a good save from Hopwood.

On 50 minutes, another fine crossfield ball from Seaton found Jones on the left; the wide man cut inside his marker and shot just wide of the near post.

By now the Ducks were firmly in control of the match, playing some attractive passing football and penetrating the defensive line almost at will.

On 59 minutes a quickly taken free kick by Mapley reached Jones at the far post, who found Prosper in support; the defenders acrobatic attempt just clearing the bar.

With 10 minutes remaining on the clock, substitute Aaron Jewell lost the ball to Sonny French in midfield, who played the ball forward to Seaton. The young midfielder’s first shot was saved by Nolan, but Seaton followed up to convert at the second attempt. 4-0 Aylesbury

With two minutes left to play and there was almost a fifth goal. Good work by substitute Jamie Keen, on to make his debut at 16 years of age, found Couch 25 yards out, whose shot on the turn just cleared the cross bar. The final action of the match saw Hopwood comfortably save a 25-yard shot from Jewell.

This was a fine performance by the Ducks, probably their best of the season and the largest winning margin, condemning their opponents to their 7th defeat in 8 league games. It wasn’t just the result, but the manner in which it was achieved, with the team playing some fantastic football and playing with confidence throughout. More worrying will be injuries to both strikers, joining Jack Sillitoe on the sidelines with foot injuries.

Next up is a trip to bottom of the table Arlesey Town next Saturday, where the team will be hoping to build on their recent form.