Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South

Saturday 21st April 2018

Evo-Stik League South East

The Meadow, Chesham Attendance: 112

Aylesbury United

1 2

Chalfont St. Peter

  Half-time: (0-1)  
    6Jack HOPWOODPlayer Image1
    6Ollie STANBRIDGEPlayer Image2
    6Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image3
    7(c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
    7Callum MAPLEYPlayer Image5
    8Ollie HOGGPlayer Image6
    614 50m Jamie KEENPlayer Image7
    7Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image8
    615 67m  70m Harry JONESPlayer Image9
    7Ben SEATONPlayer Image10
    616 50m Matt PEAKE-PIJNENPlayer Image11
    Maciej TAJSPlayer Image12
    77 50m Aaron BERRYPlayer Image14
    69 67m Jeanmal PROSPERPlayer Image15
    611 50m Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image16
      Ben WILLIAMSManager ImageM
    1Player ImageCarl DENNISON
    2Player ImageMark GOODMAN
    3Player ImageRyan HAUGH
    4Player ImageGeorge FENTON
    5Player ImageAdam KIRBY
    6Player ImageJack MULLAN
    7Player ImageRobbie HASTINGS
    8Player ImageAlex PAINE
    9Player ImageAlan HEDLEY (c)
    10Player ImageLouis STEAD12 88m 
    11Player ImageRemmell CLARKE15 78m 
    12Player ImageMax HOLLAND10 88m 
    14Player ImageFrankie JONES
    15Player ImageAlex LAFLEUR11 78m 
    16Player ImageDaniel NIELSEN
    17Player ImageKieron VICKERS
    MManager ImageDanny EDWARDS
    Match Report



    Manager Ben Williams chose to keep faith with the team that started last week’s match at table toppers AFC Rushden & Diamonds, with Aaron Berry, Jeanmal Prosper and Sonny French having to settle for watching from the substitute’s bench after being unavailable last week.

    The visitors started strongly, forcing 3 corners in the opening 4 minutes, all well delivered by Louis Stead, but well defended by the Ducks. On 12 minutes a good run down the right by Remmel Clarke saw him cut inside and fire in a goal bound shot which was well blocked in characteristic style by skipper Jack Wood, on his 400th appearance for the club.

    The best chance of the match so far fell to the visitors on 15 minutes. Clarke was again prominent on the right, forcing a good covering tackle from Greg Williams, at the expense of a corner. Stead’s delivery was flicked on at the near post, into the path of the onrushing Adam Kirby, but the centre back couldn’t keep his header down, his attempt clearing the crossbar.

    Shortly afterwards the Ducks, who in truth had experienced problems getting a foothold in the game, had their first attacking opportunity. Ben Seaton spread the ball wide to Matt Peake-Pijnen wide on the left, whose low cross-cum-shot just evaded Harry Jones as he attempted to get a final touch.

    The visitors took the lead in the 18th minute. A good ball down the left from skipper Alan Hedley saw Robert Hastings outpace Ollie Stanbridge and advanced on goal, placing a shot beyond Jack Hopwood from the edge of the penalty area. 1-0 Chalfont

    On the half hour, Stead did well on the left side and played a ball square to Alex Paine, whose shot from 25 yards was wide of the target.

    The best opportunity to come the Ducks’ way presented itself in the 40th minute. Jake Bewley received the ball from Seaton and passed to Peake-Pijnen on the left; the full back continued his run into the penalty area and met Peake-Pijnen’s cross with his head, but his effort from 12 yards flew over the bar.

    Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Chalfont

    With the second half 5 minutes old, manager Williams chose to shuffle things up a little, introducing Berry and French in place or Peake-Pijnen and Keen. Berry in particular was straight into the game, offering a different, more physical threat to the visiting defence. A long ball down the right from Callum Mapley saw Berry outmuscle Kirby on the right flank and moved inside before passing to Harry Jones, who saw his shot blocked for a corner.

    The 65th minute saw a match turning moment, as Wood was penalised for a foul on Hastings on the left flank. What seemed like a fair challenge was penalised and to add insult to injury, the skipper was awarded a yellow card by referee Gavin Muge. Stead’s free kick was poor, being intercepted by Jones, but as he attempted to work his way forward with the ball, he was dispossessed by Jack Mullan. The midfielder looked up and saw Hedley in space towards the left side of the penalty area and picked him out with a good chipped pass. With Hopwood coming off his line to attempt to collect the ball, Hedley carefully looped his header over the keeper and into an empty net. 2-0 Chalfont

    The third and final Ducks substitution was made immediately, with Jeanmal Prosper replacing Jones and filling the position wide on the right of midfield. Like Berry, Prosper was to make an immediate impact, first to pick up a yellow card for a late challenge just 4 minutes after coming on, then in the 75th minute setting up Berry to shoot, with a delightful pass. As Berry shot, George Fenton did well to block and concede a corner.

    The Ducks were back in the game in the 79th minute, Bewley overlapping on the left and crossed deep to the far post where Prosper was well placed to head the ball back into the 6-yard box, to find Wood on hand to power home a header to score his 36th goal in his 400th match for the club, not a bad return for a central defender! 1-2

    While this sparked an upsurge in the attacking from the Ducks, there was little of note to trouble Carl Dennison in the visiting goal, with the game petering out in the final few moments.

    Overall, the game, played on a bumpy dry pitch had the feel of an end of season encounter written all over it, although the introduction of the substitutes did offer some hope that the game could be saved.

    Next up is the rearranged match at Hanwell Town on Thursday evening, before the season closes away at Hartley Wintney next Saturday.