Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury kept up their fine recent record at Hanwell Town as goals from Ollie Hogg, Ben Seaton and Jeanmal Prosper helped them to a 3-1 win at the out of form West Londoners – whose only three wins in the last three months of the season had been against bottom three sides Arlesey Town, Aylesbury FC and Barton Rovers.

With a tough run in of three games a week, Hanwell understandably were much changed (five in total) following their defeat at Northwood, with the experienced Nick Turner amongst those coming in.

Aylesbury also showed changes, with Jonny Miller handed his first start of the season after long-term injury and recalls given to Aaron Berry, Sonny French and Jeanmal Prosper.

The latter was involved in the first notable attacking moment, beating the offside trap to a right sided through ball before cutting it back for French who shot wide.

Much of the opening quarter saw both sides restricted to harmless long shots, although Berry went agonisingly close in the 17th minute when he took a long ball on his chest before unleashing a dipping shot that had Lewis Everett beaten all ends up but came back off the angle of post and bar.

At the other end Jack Hopwood was called into meaningful action for the first time just before the half hour mark when Tom Hunt bent a shot goalwards that had to be parried away by the United stopper.

The Ducks couldn’t complete the clearance and when the ball was worked back in it fell invitingly to Ricky Pither who was unable to get hold of his shot and pose the questions of Hopwood that he really ought to.

With Aylesbury having shaded the opening quarter, Hanwell were now enjoying a dominant spell and another cross in from the left was headed out as far as Charlie Mitchell who blazed high and wide.

United sustained the pressure and then had a good chance of their own when Greg Williams was teed up on the edge of the box after a good passing move, but he placed the ball wide when appearing to go for a finesse shot with the outside of his boot.

As it looked increasingly like a half time stalemate was on the cards, Aylesbury took a firm grip of proceedings with two goals in two minutes just before half time.

Firstly, excellent work by Aaron Berry saw him win the ball back on the byeline before pulling it back for Ollie Hogg to jab home his 10th goal for Aylesbury United. 1-0 Aylesbury

Hanwell were unhappy with an alleged offside in the build up to the goal and for his protests captain Oliver Duffy was shown the game’s only yellow card.

Then, Berry’s shot from just inside the box looped up off a defender where Everett did well to claw it away but only as far as Jake Bewley. His shot was hacked away off the goal line straight to Ben Seaton who gratefully accepted the gift of a close range goal. 2-0 Aylesbury

Half-time: Hanwell 0-2 Aylesbury

Whilst the interval scoreline was a little harsh on the home side, Aylesbury were totally comfortable in their lead after the break, particularly following the withdrawal to injury of Hanwell’s most dangerous attacking player Charlie Mitchell.

After a couple of half chances for French and Berry, French produced a spectacular miss on 61 minutes, Berry latching onto a through ball before drawing the keeper and squaring for French who somehow contrived to miss the open goal from a yard out.

Seaton was next to waste a gilt-edged opportunity when Callum Mapley’s excellent crossfield free kick picked out French who in turn squared for Seaton who fired straight at Everett from six-yards.

Moments later a half-hearted penalty appeal from Berry fell on deaf ears as he appeared to be pushed to the ground as a cross came in over his head, but two minutes later United at last had their third.

Seaton and French combined again, with the former’s cross from the left fired goalwards by French where Everett produced another good save but could only watch on as Prosper reacted first to hook home the rebound. 3-0 Aylesbury

Another good opening came and went as a ball in to French saw him buy space to get a shot away but he crashed the ball over the bar.

The introduction of Majiec Tajs and Matt Peake-Pijnen renewed Aylesbury’s attacking play, Peake-Pijnen playing on the right of attack where he was able to regularly cut inside and make use of his powerful left foot.

The two substitutes combined with 15 minutes remaining as Peake-Pijnen switched the ball to Tajs who progressed into the box but shot wide across goal.

Five minutes later and am Aylesbury corner kick had to be scrambled off the goal line as it came all the way cross, before Tajs’ shot was blocked in the box having been set up by Prosper.

The closing stages of the game had seen some enterprising play from Hanwell, with Mergim Qarri looking lively, and it was he who grabbed a consolation two minutes from time; Qarri producing a fine finish into the top corner, although it was slightly controversial after he appeared to push the ball on with his arm in breaking into space. 1-3

What certainly hadn’t been the typically dull end of season affair still had further action to come, and with 90 minutes ticking onto the clock Peake-Pijnen was found in the box where he shot towards the top corner only for Turner to get back and miraculously head the ball off the line.

Seconds later Hanwell substitute Gabriel Piorkowski came close to pulling another goal back for his side when he crashed a long shot goalwards, only for Hopwood to tip it onto the crossbar and deny him.

Full time sounded almost immediately to bring an end to another good, solid win for the Ducks.

Aylesbury now finish the season at Hartley Wintney, and with a win will match their 2016/17 points tally of 55 points – a remarkable achievement considering the Ducks were second bottom on just 15 points at the turn of the year.