Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United

5 0

Newport Pagnell Town

  Half-time: (1-0)  
    7Archie DAVISPlayer Image1
    7(c) Jeanmal PROSPERPlayer Image2
    7Matt PEAKE-PIJNENPlayer Image3
    8Callum MAPLEYPlayer Image4
    8Chris CROOKPlayer Image5
    8Ollie HOGGPlayer Image6
    9Max HERCULESPlayer Image7
    7Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image8
    918 72m Aaron BERRYPlayer Image9
    814 66m Ben SEATONPlayer Image10
    817 66m Horatio HIRSTPlayer Image11
    Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image12
    10 66m Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image14
    11 66m Sean COLESPlayer Image17
    9 72m Harry JONESPlayer Image18
      Ben WILLIAMSManager ImageM
    1Player ImageMark OSBOURNE
    2Player ImageOli WILKINSON
    3Player ImageDamon HERBERT15 77m 
    4Player ImageLiam SMYTH
    5Player ImageAdam PRYKE
    6Player ImageDave BAKER
    7Player ImageDom LAWLESS12 59m 
    8Player ImageMike LYON
    9Player ImageTom LIVERSEDGE
    10Player ImageJake STRONGE14 59m 
    11Player ImageHarry STRATTON
    12Player ImageFazel KORIYA7 59m 
    14Player ImageStuart SMEATHERS10 59m 
    15Player ImageYaw OFOSU3 77m 
    Match Report


    Aylesbury eased into the next round of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup with a 5-0 win over Newport Pagnell Town, as Aaron Berry became the first player to score a hat-trick for the Ducks since Zack Reynolds in 2014.

    His treble was wrapped up in the space of 23 second half minutes as United unleashed a show of clinical finishing, but manager Ben Williams will no doubt be just as pleased with the clean sheet which was hard earned against a spirited Swans side who fought to the end.

    It was Berry’s strike partner Horatio Hirst who got the ball rolling for the Ducks, marking his return to the club having left Sheffield United by taking just three minutes to get on the score sheet. Max Hercules went on a dazzling run past several players before playing the ball through to Hirst who finished confidently past Mark Osbourne. 1-0 Aylesbury

    The goal was a welcome boost and helped settle any nerves with Newport Pagnell having made a charging start to the match and subjecting the home penalty area to an early barrage.

    That continued in what was a frenetic, end-to-end first half; Harry Stratton saw a shot blocked having shown good skill to beat his marker, before Dom Lawless burst into the box moments later but crashed an effort over the goal.

    After Callum Mapley’s near post header from Ollie Hogg’s corner flashed across goal, Hirst had a fine chance to double Aylesbury’s lead. A ball clipped over the defence freed Ben Seaton on the right who had time to cut it back for Hirst on the edge of the area, but he swept his first time shot over.

    Hercules’ pacey running was causing the visitors all manner of problems, and having earned a free kick following one desperate attempt to stop him, he pulled the ball wide from 25-yards.

    The irrepressible youngster then seized on a loose ball on the left flank before playing it in low where a panicked clearance very nearly resulted in an own goal.

    Berry then blazed an attempt over the bar, before a remarkable passage of play saw both sides inches away from finding the net.

    First, a whipped ball across the goal was met by the outstretched boot of Tom Liversedge who hit the post from close range. The ball was quickly moved from one end of the pitch to the other as Hercules popped up on the right this time and crossed in where Sonny French slid in but could only balloon over from 3-yards out.

    Another foul on Hercules lead to another free kick shooting opportunity, but it was again wasted as French’s shot sailed over.

    The half came to an end with another clear opening for Aylesbury when Hirst was put clear of the defence. He unselfishly squared for Berry who, clearly still devoid of confidence at that point, took far too long over his shot and allowed the defence to block. The ball still broke for Hercules whose fierce shot was also charged down.

    Half-time: Aylesbury 1-1 Newport Pagnell

    The second period started in much the same way as the first, with a very early goal for Aylesbury. Callum Mapley crossed the ball in from the right where it was helped on by Jeanmal Prosper, and the alert Berry nipped in and adjusted his feet quickly to slot past the exposed Osbourne. 2-0 Aylesbury

    Five minutes later and the Swans were nearly back in the game when ex-Duck Liam Smyth produced a great through ball for Lawless to run onto, but his touch took him too wide as he went around the advancing Archie Davis and the goalkeeper was able to get down and make a good smothering save.

    A superb piece of control by Ollie Hogg then set up the next chance for Aylesbury, as he took down an aerial clearance before playing in Hirst whose shot was parried behind by the goalkeeper.

    The resulting corner was cleared, but the Ducks had soon won another from which Hogg’s delivery picked out Mapley. His initial header was blocked on the line by his own teammate Berry, but he kept his composure to collect the rebound and fire home United’s third. 3-0 Aylesbury

    On 66 minutes Berry had his second, and Aylesbury their fourth. Sonny French’s pass picked out the striker who cut inside his marker and struck an early shot that seemed to catch out Osbourne as the keeper was left wrong footed and rooted to the spot. 4-0 Aylesbury

    Now in complete control, the home side kept probing for more. Hercules’ cross was headed wide by Berry, whilst substitute Greg Williams delivered a cross from the left wing which was headed out as far as French for an effort that was blocked.

    Substitute Fazel Koriya – who had scored 31 goals in the 2017/18 season – looked lively following his introduction, and he came as close as anyone on the away side to scoring when he cut inside and fired in a well directed shot that had to be cleared off the line.

    Just a minute later and the scoring was wrapped up, as Berry completed his hat-trick. Matt Peake-Pijnen – who had a good game at left back – was the provider this time as he fed Berry in the area with the striker turning smartly and finding the bottom corner with the aid of a deflection. 5-0 Aylesbury

    As the game entered the final fifteen minutes proceedings rather petered to a close. To their credit, Newport Pagnell continued to fight until the last whistle though, and Aylesbury had to defend hard at times to preserve their clean sheet, most notably three minutes from time when a near post corner kick was met by former United defender Stuart Smeathers but his header was blocked.

    With their clean sheet intact Aylesbury were able to celebrate their first win in the competition in some three years. Hopefully the Ducks can use this fine performance to take some confidence when they return to league action with a first ever trip to Yaxley.