Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com


3 7

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (3-4)  
Ollie SUTTONPlayer Image1
John-Paul DUNCLIFFEPlayer Image2
Josh PIKEPlayer Image3
Joe BUTTERWORTHPlayer Image4
(c) Ross WATSONPlayer Image5
12 68m Dalton BETTLESPlayer Image6
Matt SPARROWPlayer Image7
Liam HOOKPlayer Image8
14 78m Tom WAUMSLEYPlayer Image9
Dan COTTONPlayer Image10
James WARDPlayer Image11
6 68m Charley SANDERSPlayer Image12
9 78m Phil STEBBINGPlayer Image14
Andrew FURNELLPlayer Image15
James BLAKEPlayer Image16
1Player ImageArchie DAVIS7
2Player ImageJeanmal PROSPER7
3Player ImageMatt PEAKE-PIJNEN7
4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
5Player ImageCallum MAPLEY7
6Player ImageOllie HOGG7
7Player ImageMax HERCULES14 82m 7
8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS7
9Player ImageAaron BERRY15 70m 7
10Player ImageSonny FRENCH8
11Player ImageHoratio HIRST16 60m 7
12Player ImageJake BEWLEY
14Player ImageBen SEATON7 82m 
15Player ImageBenjamin AGHADIUNO9 70m 
16Player ImageHarry JONES11 60m 
17Player ImageChris CROOK
MManager ImageBen WILLIAMS
Match Report



Match report by Ian Pluck

After the confidence boosting Berks and Bucks Cup win over Newport Pagnell, manager Ben Williams chose to bring the experience of skipper Jack Wood and Greg Williams back into the team in place of Chris Crook and Ben Seaton, who both took a seat on the sub’s bench.

Buoyed by scoring five goals on Wednesday, the Ducks started brightly on the 3G pitch, taking the game to the home side. The dominance of their attacking play was rewarded in the 8th minute as a long ball from defence was collected well by Jeanmal Prosper, who exchanged passes with Max Hercules before firing across keeper Oliver Sutton from 15 yards and into the far corner to open the scoring. 1-0 Aylesbury

Four minutes later and the lead was doubled. Sonny French picked up the ball in midfield and drove forward. After playing a one-two with Aaron Berry, the midfielder shot from the edge of the penalty area and saw the ball find the back of the net after being parried by Sutton. 2-0 Aylesbury

From the kick off the home side had a great opportunity to reduce the arrears; a ball forward was flicked on by Thomas Waumsley into the path of Daniel Cotton, who cut inside from the left flank and fired a shot towards the far corner, only for Archie Davis to rise high and tip the ball over the bar. From the corner, Davis launched a ball forward which created indecision between Sutton and Dalton Bettles, with the latter heading the ball over the advancing keeper, to give Horatio Hirst the easiest of chances, walking the ball into the net. 3-0 Aylesbury

Just as the travelling fans were pinching themselves at the scoreline, it got even better. Callum Mapley won the ball in the centre circle and slid a ball in behind the defence for Berry to run onto. Finding himself with just Sutton to beat, the centre forward did just that and scored a fourth goal inside 20 minutes. 4-0 Aylesbury

Straight from the kick off and it could easily have been 5-0. A cross from the left from Hirst was superbly collected by Hercules, but his shot was well saved by Sutton. His clearance was miskicked by Prosper, into the path of James Ward, who squared the ball across the penalty area, where it was met by Joe Butterworth, just ahead of Wood, to reduce the arrears. 1-4

Just one minute later and the Cuckoos scored a second to get their comeback well under way.

Daniel Cotton escaped down the wing and crossed to Ward who slid the ball past Davis and into the far corner of the net. 2-4

The end to end action continued as Hirst won the ball and passed to French, who this time saw his shot well saved at the far post by Sutton. Just a minute later and a free kick from French was won by Berry, flicking it on the Williams who saw his volley well saved by Sutton.

Amazingly, in the 36th minute came the seventh goal of the game; Ollie Hogg was dispossessed in midfield with the ball worked forward to Ward, whose shot from 25 yards was well saved at the expense of a corner. From the delivery, the ball half cleared before it was met by home skipper Ross Watson who fired home to reduce the deficit to just the one goal. 3-4

The home side were firmly on top by now, with the Ducks defending looking quite ragged in the face of some fast attacking football. As half time approached, the scores could easily have been level. A Prosper clearance rebounded to Cotton, whose shot from 25 yards rattled the cross bar, with Davis managing to tip the ball over the bar as it came down.

Half-time: Yaxley 3-4 Aylesbury

After a breathless first half, the Ducks came out determined to tighten up in defence, and prevent the free scoring hosts from drawing level.

It was the Ducks who extended the lead, and in some fashion. Hirst did well to win the ball on the left flank and passed to Berry, who in turn found French 25 yards out, who took a touch and hit an unstoppable shot which crashed against the post and into the back of the net. 5-3 Aylesbury

In the 70th minute, new loan signing Benji Aghadiuno was given his debut, replacing the hard-working Berry. He was straight into the action, winning a free kick 30 yards from goal. Hercules took the kick and found Harry Jones whose volley was into the ground and bounced over the cross bar.

Three minutes from time and a calamitous own goal gave the Ducks a 6th goal. A back pass from Liam Hook who was under no pressure at all, somehow slipped past Sutton and trickled into the net. 6-3 Aylesbury

As the clock ticked towards the 90th minute, the icing on the cake was applied by Aghadiuno. French found Jones on the left who pulled the ball back to the substitute on the edge of the penalty area, whose left foot shot was steered accurately enough to beat Sutton and nestle in the corner of the net. 7-3 Aylesbury

Shortly afterwards, the referee blew the whistle to end a quite remarkable game. It is the first time in living memory that 7 goals have been scored away from home, and including Wednesday evening’s victory against Newport Pagnell, 12 in two matches. Next up is the home fixture in the Southern League Challenge Cup against Landlords Chesham United, which the team must go into full of confidence.