Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Aylesbury United

3 1

Welwyn Garden City

  Half-time: (2-0)  
    Archie DAVISPlayer Image1
    Jeanmal PROSPERPlayer Image2
    Matt PEAKE-PIJNENPlayer Image3
    (c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
    Callum MAPLEYPlayer Image5
    Ollie HOGGPlayer Image6
    Max HERCULESPlayer Image7
    14 68m Ben SEATONPlayer Image8
    19 85m Aaron BERRYPlayer Image9
    Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image10
    912 77m Benjamin AGHADIUNOPlayer Image11
    11 77m Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image12
    8 68m Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image14
    Kierran LATAILLEPlayer Image18
    9 85m Harry JONESPlayer Image19
    Chris CROOKPlayer Image17
      Ben WILLIAMSManager ImageM
    1Player ImageDan GREEN
    2Player ImageJosh HOLMES17 72m 
    3Player ImageJonny SEXTON
    4Player ImageAdam HUNT
    5Player ImageLee CLOSE
    6Player ImageJay ROLFE
    7Player ImageNick ELLIOT
    8Player ImageBen SPAUL
    9Player ImageKaan FEHMI14 76m 
    10Player ImageDaniel BOND12 39m 
    11Player ImageJosh BRONTI
    12Player ImageJon CLEMENTS10 39m 
    14Player ImageAshley KERSEY9 76m 
    15Player ImageTony WILLIAMS
    16Player ImageSam OYENIRAN
    17Player ImageIonut RADU2 72m 
    Match Report



    Match report by Leon O'Sullivan

    A chilly and wet October afternoon wasn't enough to dampen the Ducks' form as they took their chances well to secure a fourth win on the trot against the Spartan South Midlands League champions, Welwyn Garden City.

    Aylesbury manager Ben Williams was able to name an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday night's win over landlords Chesham. The only amendment to the Ducks squad was Kierran Lataille's return from suspension to take the departed Horatio Hirst's seat on the bench.

    The game got off to a slow start, and the closest either side came to scoring early on was a cross-cum-shot from the left by Benjamin Aghadiuno, which forced visiting goalkeeper (and ex-Duck) Dan Green to tip the ball past his post in the 12th minute.

    The game changed in the 19th minute as the Ducks produced a quick break to take the lead. A fine Ollie Hogg through ball sent Max Hercules flying down the right wing, and Hercules' low cross found Aghadiuno, whose shot was powered home off the underside of the crossbar. 1-0 Aylesbury

    With half an hour on the clock, United doubled their lead. Jeanmal Prosper's deep cross was touched back towards the penalty spot by Aghadiuno, and Hercules was on hand to sweep the ball into the net past Green. 2-0 Aylesbury

    The visitors were largely kept at arms' length despite a good share of possession, and Welwyn were unable to force young Archie Davis into a save for the duration of the first half. City's Daniel Bond was forced off through injury 39 minutes in, and was replaced by Jon Clements, who would prove to be a significant threat from Welwyn's left side for the rest of the game. As the first half wound down, the rampant Hercules created himself a half-chance by nutmegging an opposing defender, but his shot from a tricky angle was well saved by Green.

    Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Welwyn

    The visitors began the second half looking rejuvenated, and forced a double save from Davis in the 51st from Kaan Fehmi and Josh Bronti's respective low shots. Three minutes later, the Ducks saw a clever Matt Peake-Pijnen corner kick find Hercules on the edge of the area, but his shot looped over the bar.

    It came as no real surprise however when the visitors halved the deficit on 63 minutes. Archie Davis could only parry away a hard shot from Welwyn sub Clements, and in the ensuing chaos Nick Elliott prodded the ball into the net. 2-1 Aylesbury

    A couple of minutes later, Welwyn threatened to equalise as Clements was once again found in a dangerous position on the left, but he was only able to ripple the side netting with his shot, much to the relief of the Ducks.

    Welwyn's fightback would however prove to be very shortlived, as Aylesbury restored their two-goal advantage on 67 minutes. Some more fine work from Benjamin Aghadiuno on the left wing led to a half-chance for Aaron Berry 15 yards out. With the poise of a man in fine form, Berry curled the ball into the top corner for his fifth goal in the last four games. 3-1 Aylesbury

    Ben Williams replaced Ben Seaton with the more defensively-minded Greg Williams as Aylesbury looked to secure their position. They were able to do so with great success as Welwyn's efforts were repelled by some solid defending. Jake Bewley also returned to action for the first time in a few weeks, replacing the excellent Aghadiuno for the final 15 minutes. In addition to seeing out the remainder of the game, the Ducks remained a threat on the counter attack, and were unlucky not to add to their lead in injury time when an outnumbered City defence were rescued by a decent save from Green.

    And so Aylesbury's first home league win since opening day brings to an end a busy and successful fortnight, which has seen the Ducks treble their points tally and progress in two competitions, while scoring eighteen goals. They will be hoping to continue this form next Sunday in yet another cup competition, the FA Trophy, as they host Mildenhall Town.