Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


Match report by Chris Howarth

Goals win games was the story of a very frustrating evening for Aylesbury United at the Broadwater Stadium. Despite plenty of chances the Ducks bowed out of the CSS League Challenge Cup to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Berkhamsted FC.

The Ducks were looking to bounce back from defeat last time out and the way they started certainly showed that. In the 4th minute Ben Seaton showed clever footwork in the middle before he shifted the ball to Sonny French who shot over. Berkhamsted then showed their desire a minute later as Emmanuel Folarin swung a cross into the near post which narrowly missed everyone including the post.

Despite a strong start from both sides the game levelled out and neither side saw too much in the final third until the 26th minute. Berkhamsted tested Archie Davis hands as a cross came in and was headed goal bound by Matthew Bateman. Bateman’s header forced a good low save from the Ducks stopper. A couple minutes later The Ducks went back up the other end and saw a chance of their own as the ball fell nicely to the feet of Ollie Hogg, but the midfielder fired over from twenty yards.

The game then finally saw its first breakthrough. Berkhamsted took the lead from a long throw-in that fell to Bateman’s feet. The striker turned a shot into the top left corner to cause the game’s first breakthrough. 1-0 Berkhamsted

Just before half time the Ducks looked to level the score. Benjamin Aghadiuno drifted by two defenders before shooting wide.

Half-time: Berkhamsted 1-0 Aylesbury

The second half started off in the worst possible way for the Ducks. Two minutes in they were 2 down. Louis Austin drilled a low cross in for Berkhamsted which found Bateman who turned in for his brace. 2-0 Berkhamsted

However, the Ducks started finding their feet and chances began to come. In the 50th minute Jeanmal Prosper headed over from an in-swinging corner. United then made a change, Harry Jones was replaced by Max Hercules. 2 minutes later, Aaron Berry rolled his defender and charged towards goal before firing wide.

The Ducks closest chance came on the hour mark as Seaton found space on the edge of the box and drilled in a shot which narrowly missed the post. United had another chance on the 67th minute. A free kick from the half way line caused problems but Aghadiuno’s header was held by Berkhamsted keeper Luke Daley.

The Ducks made another change as Seaton was replaced by Ollie Jones. 73 minutes in and The Ducks weren’t giving up, a Hogg corner fell invitingly for Aghadiuno, who’s strike was blocked out for a corner. 5 minutes later another chance came. Jake Bewley’s cross bounced nicely for Hercules who whipped just passed the post. Aylesbury United kept the chances coming, minutes later Aghadiuno out-muscled his defender before firing his shot wide.

Aylesbury were then frustrated for the last 10 minutes of the game and the chances slowed up and the game trickled to a 2-0 close. The Ducks will now have to turn their attention to this Saturday and back to the league against Dunstable. United will feel hard done to however after bowing out of the challenge cup despite a strong showing.