Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Greg Williams was once again the Ducks hero as he volleyed home a late winner in a crucial win over Dunstable Town. An impressive display from United allows them to snatch all three points and climb the table.

The Ducks got the ball rolling quickly and it was in the back of the Dunstable net even quicker. On the 6th minute, Aaron Berry’s persistence paid off as he went into a challenge with Dunstable keeper James Connell and came out the other side with the ball, which allowed him to slot into an empty net. 1-0 Aylesbury

After the quick start, the game suddenly became very quiet and the chess match begun as both sides were cancelling each other’s ideas out. Then in the 27th minute, United had a free kick wide on the right-hand side, Jake Bewley’s cross found Jeanmal Prosper’s head and the ball drifted wide of the post. Dunstable came back at the Ducks immediately, on the half hour mark, Daniel Trif found some space but was denied by United stopper Archie Davis.

5 minutes before half-time, Prosper would go close again, After some fancy footwork and skills, he drifted past the Dunstable defence and rocketed a shot on goal, only to have it blocked off of the line.

Half-time: Dunstable 0-1 Aylesbury

With the second half kicking off, goal scorer Berry would have to leave the field injured and he would make way for Tre Mitford. 10 minutes into the second half United would go close again, Ollie Hogg whipped in a free kick onto the head of Williams, his header would again fall past the post.

Dunstable attacked quick and took advantage of the Ducks missed chances, James Lauder cut open the Ducks defence with a through ball which met Trif on the other side, who dispatched to level the scores. 1-1

Dunstable nearly made it two. Chris Wreh ran through one on one with Davis and attempted to go around the young stopper. Davis however would claw the ball away from his feet fantastically to keep the scores level.

With half an hour to go, Aylesbury took it up a gear, a Hogg cross took a big deflection and forced Connell into making a save. Hogg would again put in another cross minutes later, this one finding Benjamin Aghadiuno, who’s effort deflected off a defender and out of a United corner. On the 68th minute, Callum Mapley drifted a ball into Mitford who touched down and struck wide. The Ducks continued to knock on the door into the last 20 minutes.

Dunstable saw an opportunity with 15 minutes to go as a Trif strike was held onto by Davis. 5 minutes later, Aylesbury were back on the ascendancy as Mitford found some space and tested Connell. Then on 82 minutes, The Ducks finally had the lead again. Mitford again found space and delivered a cross which was blocked and fell nicely for Williams to smash home on the volley. 2-1 Aylesbury

Aylesbury United were still looking to add to their lead and showed no signs of holding on as again Mitford steamed through and was denied by Connell with only 2 minutes to go. A minute later, United produced some beautiful passing football which allowed Max Hercules to slot Mitford in again and Connell was awake to stop him.

The Ducks will now look forward to a trip to Shrivenham on Tuesday to try and continue this form. The win sees United rise to 10th in the table only 5 points off the top five.