Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

The Ducks returned to winning ways following a 2-1 win at home to Kidlington FC at the Meadow. Despite plenty of chances in the first half, United were anything but comfortable in gaining the three points.

The Ducks began strong and couldn’t have hoped for a better start. With only three minutes on the clock Ollie Jones won a free kick on the edge of the box. Max Hercules stood over it and he whipped the ball up and over the wall, and straight into the top corner. 1-0 Aylesbury

Three minutes later, it could’ve been 2. Bewley found space on the right and delivered a cross onto the head of Tre Mitford, whose header fell just wide.

With 9 minutes gone, United had another free kick on the edge, this time Mitford tried his luck but fired narrowly over the bar. Aylesbury were firmly on top and again had another chance on ten minutes as Jake Bewley drove down the left-hand side and forced a good save from Sam Warrell in the Kidlington goal.

On the 18th minute, Kidlington equalised against the run of play. A corner caused all sorts of problems for the Ducks defence and a goalmouth scramble fell to Kidlington full-back Josh Tooke to hammer home the leveller. 1-1

5 minutes later, The Ducks were back on the ascendancy. Matt Peake-Pijnan drove down the left-hand side and nearly caught Warrell out at his near post, but the keeper made a good save. Minutes later, Aylesbury retook the lead. A lofted ball caught the Kidlington defence napping and Mitford found himself clear through to easily slot home the second, continuing his fine form in front of goal. 2-1 Aylesbury

Kidlington attempted to bite back on the 39th minute, Lewis Gabbidon’s in-swinging cross found the head of Anaclet Odhiambo, who could only glance wide. Mitford nearly had his second a minute later as he got onto the end of an Ollie Hogg cross, but was to only be denied at the near post by Warrell. Aylesbury’s first half dominance continued as again Mitford found himself clean through but this time another great save denied him.

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-1 Kidlington

The Ducks were immediately on the back foot in the second half as Kidlington came out strong. On 49 minutes, Gabbidon tested Jack Hopwood with a good drive on goal but the Ducks keeper was equal to it.

Ten minutes later the Ducks had a chance of their own, Mitford, after a great turn, had the run of the defence and forced yet another save from the Kidlington keeper Warrell. Aylesbury had the first change of the game with Horatio Hirst coming on for Ollie Jones.

Aylesbury found themselves a massive chance to add another as Bewley went down in the box and the Ducks had a penalty. Ollie Hogg stepped up to the task and thundered a strike to the left of the goal. Sam Warrell somehow stretched his right arm up to deny what looked a certain third for the Ducks.

The Ducks made their second change of the evening as Max Hercules made way for Harry Jones, and he was straight into the thick of the action as he was next to test Warrell’s hands from 20 yards. The Ducks final change saw Mitford come off for Kieran Lataille with five minutes of the game to play.

In the fifth minute of stoppage time, Hopwood saved the three points for the Ducks. After a scramble for possession, Kidlington’s Brad Singh struck towards goal and forced a top quality save from Hopwood as he tipped over the bar.

A huge three points for the Ducks as they look to work their way up the table. Next up is an away trip to Cambridge City, and United will want to add to their three points they fully earned today.