Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South

Cambridge City

3 4

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (1-2)  
Jamie HEADPlayer Image1
Ben ROBINSONPlayer Image2
Seb SIMPSONPlayer Image3
16 84m Josh SIMPSONPlayer Image4
Keano ROBINSONPlayer Image5
Joe ROBINSONPlayer Image6
Isaac MAYNARDPlayer Image7
Adam WATKINSPlayer Image8
James HALLPlayer Image9
17 65m Ryan SHARMANPlayer Image10
12 55m Matt BAXTERPlayer Image11
11 55m Mickey DAVISPlayer Image12
Adam CAPELPlayer Image14
Lewis WHITEHEADPlayer Image15
4 84m Ross PATERSONPlayer Image16
10 65m Nathan OLUKANMIPlayer Image17
  Robbie NIGHTINGALEManager ImageM
1Player ImageJack HOPWOOD
2Player ImageOllie HOGG
3Player ImageMatt PEAKE-PIJNEN
4Player ImageJack WOOD
5Player ImageCallum MAPLEY12 63m 
6Player ImageBen SEATON
7Player ImageMax HERCULES
8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS
9Player ImageTre MITFORD19 82m 
10Player ImageHoratio HIRST18 80m 
11Player ImageJake BEWLEY
12Player ImageKierran LATAILLE5 63m 
14Player ImageHarry JONES
17Player ImageGeorges EHUI
18Player ImageOllie JONES10 80m 
19Player ImageBenjamin AGHADIUNO9 82m 
MManager ImageBen WILLIAMS
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Matt Peake-Pijnan stole the show with a stunning free kick in a huge win for the Ducks on the road. The Ducks have now made it 2 in 2 and are climbing the Southern league table but it was by no means easy.

A quiet first five minutes suddenly exploded into life as the Ducks took the lead. A loose ball was picked up in the middle by Ben Seaton, he travelled forwards and weighted a pass beautifully to set Horatio Hirst in behind who slotted away. 1-0 Aylesbury

Cambridge immediately looked to bite back as Jack Hopwood was forced into action on the 9th minute. James Hall found space in behind, however Hopwood stood tall and pushed his strike away.

After 12 minutes, The Ducks were somehow still leading as Hall made space for himself down the left-hand side and put a low ball in across United’s six-yard line, an on running Ryan Sharman got on the end of the cross but somehow put it wide.

The game then became a chess match and the two sides began to work each other out. Cambridge had to wait until the half hour mark for the next chance as a short corner from Adam Watkins fell nicely to Ben Robinson who could only place wide.

After withstanding huge amounts of pressure Aylesbury countered and found a second. Ollie Hogg wins a challenge in his own half and charges up the field before putting Tre Mitford in behind who thunders his strike home. 2-0 Aylesbury

Minutes later, Cambridge missed a good chance to pull one back as Hall fired a free kick over from 20 yards. Matty Baxter then found himself in the book for a challenge on Hogg. However, he nearly made up for it as he headed wide after meeting a cross from Isaac Maynard, letting the Ducks off.

Matt Peake-Pijnan saved the Ducks from conceding on 44 minutes as a goalmouth scramble fell to Sharman who blasted goal wards, only to be denied by Peake-Pijnen’s wonderful block. The resulting corner would prove to be the Ducks downfall as their great defending was finally broken. The corner was swung in by Adam Watkins and was met by Sharman to head home to grab one back just before half time. 1-2

Half-time: Cambridge City 1-2 Aylesbury

The Ducks came out firing and had two chances early in the second half, first the ball landed at Hirst’s feet whose shot was blocked out for a corner. Then Mitford’s cross found Jack Wood, who could only head wide. Aylesbury continued their charge, Hirst battled well on 57 minutes to win the ball back and immediately fed Mitford who saw his shot blocked wide.

Aylesbury kept coming. On the hour mark, Max Hercules showed a great turn of pace to beat his man down the right and set back for Mitford to shoot on goal, but he was denied by City stopper Jamie Head. The Ducks were then a victim of a counter attack as Cambridge rushed up the field and Hall was released in behind and slotted away for the home side to level the scores. 2-2

Aylesbury wanted to strike back straight away and Mitford met Hercules’ cross and headed against the post. The Ducks then made their first change with Callum Mapley being replaced by Kierran Latallie.

On 65 minutes, The Ducks retook the lead. Ollie Hogg’s in swinging corner finds Greg Williams, who heads into the near post. 3-2 Aylesbury

4 minutes later Peake-Pijnan produced some magic! A free kick from 22 yards was beautifully whipped into the top corner in what was a beautiful strike. 4-2 Aylesbury

The Ducks second change came with Hirst coming off for Harry Jones. On the 81st minute, Jones was straight involved flicking on a long ball to Jake Bewley who fired wide at the near post.

With 2 minutes to go, Cambridge were awarded a penalty to which Hall dispatched to claim his second of the game. 3-4

With the game in added time, Mickey Davies had space for City but was denied from a wonderful block by Ollie Hogg.

The game fizzled to a close with the Ducks stealing the points. It’s now 6 from 6 for United and Mitford is also 5 from 5 in front of goal. The Ducks next task is a home fixture against Berkhamsted.