Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Archie Davis starred in the Ducks goal producing a number of wonderful saves as Aylesbury United went down 2-1 to a late Thame United goal on the road.

The Boxing Day derby started out quickly with both sides feeling each other out. Thame were first to throw the first punch in the first five minutes. Lynton Goss whipped in a corner to Liam Tack’s head but Archie Davis was quick on his feet to tip the ball out of the top corner. The Ducks went straight back when Benji Aghadiuno span his defender on the left-hand side and fired in a pass to Tre Mitford but his shot was well blocked by Thame’s back line.

On the 17th minute the home side forced another save from Davis, Tack crossed the ball in from deep and Dan West rose highest to head goal wards but again Davis was up in the top corner to make the save.

Three minutes later, The Ducks were ahead! Harry Jones beautifully touched down a lofted pass with his chest and set the ball for Mitford who curled in his eighth goal in nine games. 1-0 Aylesbury

On 24 minutes, Matt Peake-Pijnan set up a free kick on the edge of the box, He drilled his strike under the wall and forced Craig Hill into a save.

On the half hour mark, the home side were level. Lynton Goss superbly outmuscled Jack Wood to keep the ball over the top and travelled into the Ducks box before setting off Dan West to level the scores. 1-1

Straight after the restart, Aghadiuno latched onto a long ball and rounded the keeper but his attempt was cleared off the line by Jamie Essex.

The game had to wait until the 40th minute for the next chance, Peake-Pijnan crossed in from the half way line towards Mitford who headed wide. Just before half time, Thame went close. Tack set Ben Sturgess on the edge of the box but he could only blaze his shot over the bar.

Half-time: Thame 1-1 Aylesbury

The second half got off to a fiery start with Kieran Lataille getting booked for a challenge on West. The resulting free kick forced Davis into another excellent save. West whipped his free-kick towards the top corner, but Davis was there again to tip over. The Ducks then proceeded to take Lataille off for Horatio Hirst in the games first substitution.

On the hour mark, The Ducks came very close to retaking the lead, Harry Jones beat his man down the right-hand side and crossed into the box, Thames backline cleared but only as far as Ben Seaton who’s half volley was superbly denied by Hill in Thame’ goal. Jones then made way for Max Hercules in the Duck’s second change.

On the 64th minute, Goss was again sharp for Thame as he put in a strong challenge to win the ball off of Callum Mapley which set him on his way through, he travelled as far as the Ducks’ box but could only fire wide.

With 20 minutes to go, the ball could’ve gone in at either end. First, Mitford grabbed the ball down the right-hand side and cut in beyond the defence and fired into Hill. The ball immediately travelled up the other end and Goss found himself round Davis but his chance was blocked off the line by Jack Wood.

2 minutes later the home side had another chance. Davis again produced a great save. Tack was in bags of space after twisting his way through the Ducks defence but his shot was denied by the Ducks stopper. With 15 minutes to play, Thame should’ve been in front. Excellent play from Tack as he played Goss down the line and he squared the ball to West, but he somehow placed wide from six yards.

The Ducks had their chance 2 minutes later, Peake-Pijnan crossed in towards the near post and found Hercules in a lot of space, but he fluffed his lines and the ball fell into Hills arms.

On the 81st minute, Jake Bewley came onto the pitch for Harry Tucker and he was immediately involved. He drilled a cross over the top of the defence and Mitford headed just past the top corner. The Ducks closest chance of the second half.

With five minutes to go, Aylesbury came close again! Mitford latched onto a long ball in behind but was again denied by Hill in the Thame goal. Somehow the game was still level. Another chance came quickly after for the Ducks as Peake-Pijnan crossed in a free kick but Greg Williams could only head wide.

With three minutes to go, the home side took the lead. Goss had the beating of his man down the left-hand side and stood a cross up for West to head home. 2-1 Thame

Agonising for the Ducks. Despite the Ducks efforts of throwing the ball up the field, the game fizzled to a close with the home side claiming the three points.

The result means a Boxing Day defeat for the Ducks and a third defeat in a row. Mitford showed his penalty miss on Saturday hasn’t affected him as he netted another in a prolific spell. The Ducks now have to turn their attention to the way trip to Kempston Rovers on Saturday.