Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

The Ducks began 2019 with the best possible start. Ollie Hogg and Tre Mitford fired United to a huge 2-0 win in the big derby against Aylesbury F.C.

Both sides flew out of the gates with chances early in the derby. The Ducks made the first move in the opening minute as Ollie Hogg touched a bouncing ball out of his feet and dispatched a shot into Moles keeper Nick Bennion’s hands. F.C. went straight back up the other end as Ty Deacon ran down the left-hand side and cut the ball back to Ryan Young who fired over.

On the 7th minute, the Ducks nearly had the lead. Jake Bewley whipped his free kick over the wall, but Bennion was there to push the ball over for a corner. United could’ve again taken the lead ten minutes in, Tre Mitford controlled Hogg’s ball well down the right-hand side before beating his man and drilling a low cross in towards Ben Seaton, but his effort was well blocked by the Moles defence.

After an exciting opening, the local derby died down with the next chance coming in the 26th minute, when Mitford found the ball on the edge of the box but fired over the bar.

In the five minutes before half time, two F.C. players found themselves in the book. First Brian Haule was booked for a hard challenge on Seaton, then Jordan Jenkins found himself with a yellow after handling the ball stopping a promising counter attack for the Ducks.

The last chance of the half went to United, as a Ducks’ corner was cleared only as far as Mitford, but he could only direct his effort over the bar. The ‘El Quackico’ was level at half time.

Half-time: Aylesbury United 0-0 Aylesbury FC

It was all to play for in the second half, and both sides came out of the blocks just as quick as the first half. However, it would be United that would strike first in the derby. In the 51st minute, the Ducks moved the ball quickly in the build up before Horatio Hirst set the ball to Hogg who touched out of his feet and drilled low into the bottom corner. 1-0 Aylesbury United

F.C. tried to fire straight back as Young found himself beyond the Ducks’ defence and sold Davis but could only roll his effort wide. Max Hercules was then booked for a handball in the 54th minute.

The Ducks desire began to show as they kept pushing. In the 57th minute, Hirst escaped two Moles defenders excellently before rolling Mitford through but his effort was fired into the side netting.

From the resulting goal kick, it was 2. The Ducks back line cleared the goal kick away and Mitford used his pace to latch onto the ball beyond the F.C. back line. He charged down on goal and smashed the ball into the bottom corner. 2-0 Aylesbury United

The Moles attempted to hit back ten minutes later, Harry Scott cleverly lost his defender but his effort rolled just wide from distance. F.C. striker Deacon was then booked for leaving a foot in on Archie Davis.

With fifteen minutes to play, Hogg showed no signs of tiring as he charged around the pitch hunting down the ball and eventually robbed it off of Dan Carr before curling a shot wide. Harry Jones then replaced Seaton in the Ducks’ first change.

In the 80th minute, F.C. began pushing again. A corner from the right caused a scramble in the box which ended in Deacon striking wide. Goalscorer Mitford was then replaced by Aaron Berry for the Ducks.

With 4 minutes to play, the referee played advantage for a foul on Hirst as the ball rolled along to Jones to strike just over. The Ducks defence held strong against the pressure and the game closed at 2-0.

A massive derby day three points for the Ducks as they seal the bragging rights. Three points, Clean sheet and a very Happy New Year.