Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Aaron Berry struck gold for the Ducks with a rocket into the top corner, as United toppled Yaxley F.C. 2-1 at the Meadow.

Having only won 1 in their last 8, The Ducks aimed to achieve their first three points since New Year’s Day. The visitors also had their eyes set on the points having gone without a win in their last 6 only claiming 3 points of a possible 18.

Two teams both with a huge point to prove showed their intent from the off. 3 minutes in the Ducks went close, United moved the ball well flowing past the opposition, the ball was drilled into Aaron Berry’s feet and on the turn, he struck the ball just wide of the post. 2 minutes later, the visitors had a chance of their own. Matthew Sparrow drilled a cross from the right in towards Thomas Walmsley, the striker shot towards goal but it rolled into Archie Davis’ hands.

The Ducks found themselves with a huge opportunity 10 minutes in. Tre Mitford was brought down on the edge of the box and Callum Mapley stepped up to take the free kick. The defender drove the ball low beyond the wall but also the post. Jake Bewley got himself into trouble with the officials two minutes later when he clipped Sparrow’s ankles bringing him down for a Yaxley free kick. Bewley received a yellow card for his offence.

The Ducks took the lead with 20 minutes played in tremendous fashion. Another great spell of possession from Aylesbury lead up to Bewley charging down the left-hand side, his through ball was deflected but dropped kindly at the feet of Berry. 25 yards out he rolled the ball out of his feet and picked out the top left corner with a rocket. 1-0 Aylesbury

United began to dictate play, holding possession well. On 25 minutes, it should’ve been two. Mitford latched onto a Sonny French ball and took it beyond the goalkeeper, however from a tight angle he miss-hit his effort and the ball rolled wide at the near post. Huge chance from the Ducks.

The first half fell to a close with only one key chance before it, in the 38th minute, Greg Williams drove a shot from 30 yards but it flew over the bar for a goal kick.

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 Yaxley

The second half began slow, a polar opposite to the first. The Ducks dictated possession but couldn’t find an end product. A chance finally appeared 10 minutes into the second half, Bewley picked out Williams head with a cross and it looked a certain goal until James Blake in the Yaxley goal somehow tipped the ball up and onto the bar.

5 minutes later, Aylesbury made their dominance in possession pay. Ben Seaton picked out Mitford beyond the Yaxley defence and this time he made no mistake by picking out the bottom corner. 2-0 Aylesbury

With 25 minutes to go Aylesbury kept the pressure on, Ollie Hogg’s corner was headed clear but only as far as Seaton who volleyed high over the bar. Bewley then made way for Harry Tucker in the Ducks’s first change.

The match fell quiet, both defences standing strong to any ideas each side had. With 15 minutes to play, The Ducks made another change with Harry Jones replacing Berry. With 6 minutes to play, Yaxley had an effort on target as Daniel Cotton struck from distance, but his effort didn’t trouble Davis.

Yaxley went close again, this time Sparrow drilled a cross into the six-yard box but Dalton Harris could only turn it wide. With three minutes to go, the visitors had one back. Charley Sanders rolled his man with a turn and fired beyond Davis to get Yaxley back into it. 1-2

Yaxley kept coming, Cotton this time found the ball down the left and cut inside before drilling into the side netting. The Ducks made their last change in the dying embers of the game, Seaton was replaced by Max Hercules.

The game drew to a close and The Ducks sealed the three points. United dictated play for 80 minutes but the visitors made it tough in the last 10 and made sure the Ducks defence were on their toes. The Ducks first win since New Year’s Day and they will now look to the midweek fixture at home to Maidenhead United.