Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Harry Jones gave the Ducks a glimmer of hope midway through the second half as United fell to defeat against play-off standing Corby Town.

Both sides flew out of the box with chances at either end. First Town went close, Jordon Crawford received the ball wide on the left-hand side, he cut inside onto his right foot but could only curl the ball wide of the post. The Ducks responded well with a chance of their own, Aaron Berry rose high and chested the ball down for the on-rushing Tre Mitford. However, he struck direct at Corby stopper Dan George.

After 12 minutes, Harry Jones muscled his way beyond the Town back four and took a poke towards goal, but he also couldn’t direct the ball past George in the Steelmen’s goal. The game fell slow, both sides looked strong in possession but failed with their end-product.

With 26 minutes played, Corby kept pressing. Joel Carta produced some outstanding footwork before setting wide for Crawford, he put the ball up high for Connor Kennedy, but his header flew over the bar.

Just after the half hour mark, the Ducks regained control of the game. Max Hercules and Anthony Ball worked the ball well down the right-hand side, the latter set Berry on the edge of the box, but his effort was blocked well by the Town defence.

Corby Town showed their class minutes later, opening the scoring ten minutes before half time. Sam Warburton delivered a wonderful cross high for Elliot Sandy to head into the top corner. 1-0 Corby

The Steelmen grabbed a second on the stroke of half time. Carta stood up his man down the right-hand side, twisted the ball back onto his left foot and crossed nicely onto Stephen Diggin’s head and he placed it beyond Archie Davis. 2-0 Corby

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-2 Corby

United made a change at half time with Ben Seaton being replaced by Collins Takaitei.

The Ducks exploded out of the blocks after half time pressing to pull one back, Max Hercules drove at the Town defence and made space for himself down the left wing, he cut back for Mitford but just before the striker could get onto the ball, Warburton stretched in to clear it away.

Corby made a break on the Ducks advances and could’ve made it 3 on 48 minutes. Sandy found the ball in space just inside the box and fired towards goal, the ball slowly drifted beyond everyone and rolled agonisingly close but bounced off the post and back into play.

Direct on the hour mark, the Ducks pulled one back. Takaitei held the ball up well down the left wing, he cut back for Hercules to swing a lovely cross towards Jones. He rose highest and headed the ball into the top corner. 1-2

With 20 minutes to play, Town were again denied by the woodwork. United fell stagnant and no one shut down Kennedy who was thirty yards out. He released a rocket of a shot that flew towards goal and thundered off the cross-bar.

The Ducks came back at the visitors and were expertly denied on 78 minutes. Jack Wood rose highest from Callum Mapley’s long ball, Wood headed across goal towards Mitford, but his header was unbelievably tipped over the bar by George in the Corby Town goal.

With five minutes to play, United thought they had their leveller. Takaitei got up to meet Jake Bewley’s cross and he headed the ball towards goal. The ball looked to be travelling in, but Jordan Francis stretched a leg out to clear it off the line.

The game closed with the Ducks falling to a 1-2 defeat. United will now have to turn their attention to another tough fixture against top of the division, Peterborough Sports.