Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Saturday 13th April 2019

Evo-Stik League South Division One Central

Lincoln Road, Peterborough Attendance: 307

Peterborough Sports

3 1

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (1-0)  
    Lewis MOATPlayer Image1
    Mitch GRIFFITHSPlayer Image2
    Johnny HERDPlayer Image3
    Paul MALONEPlayer Image4
    15 6m (c) Richard JONESPlayer Image5
    12 59m Dan LAWLORPlayer Image6
    Dion SEMBIE-FERRISPlayer Image7
    Josh MCCAMMONPlayer Image8
    Mark JONESPlayer Image9
    Lewis HILLIARDPlayer Image10
    16 75m Avelino VIEIRAPlayer Image11
    6 59m Abduramane MAMADU SANO SANIPlayer Image12
    Dan BUCCIEROPlayer Image14
    5 6m Henry NKOBIPlayer Image15
    11 75m Jordan MACLEODPlayer Image16
    Dylan VENNIPlayer Image17
    1Player ImageArchie DAVIS7
    2Player ImageAnthony BALL8
    3Player ImageJake BEWLEY7
    4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
    5Player ImageCallum MAPLEY7
    6Player ImageSonny FRENCH7
    7Player ImageMax HERCULES14 83m 7
    8Player ImageAaron BERRY7
    9Player ImageMaciej TAJS12 79m 7
    10Player ImageTre MITFORD7
    11Player ImageHarry JONES7
    12Player ImageCollins TAKAITEI9 79m 
    14Player ImageConnor HEARN7 83m 
    15Player ImageBen WILLIAMS
    MManager ImageBen WILLIAMS
    Match Report



    Aylesbury made their first ever visit to Peterborough Sports, and - with a squad stretched to the limits - gave a commendable performance against the league leaders but ultimately found their quality too much.

    The depleted nature of the Ducks meant striker ‘Magic’ Maciej Tajs was drafted in for his first start for the club having not appeared since September, whilst Aaron Berry was deployed in an unfamiliar midfield role.and the bench occupied by youngsters Collins Takaitei and Connor Hearn alongside manager Ben Williams.

    Facing a side who had conceded only 7 home league goals, United knew their chances would be at a premium, but as they made a bright start the Ducks were unable to capitalise on those early openings.

    Sonny French caught the rearguard sleeping when he crept in behind the defence to receive a short free kick before flashing the ball across goal where it was begging for a touch that never came with Jack Wood the closest to making contact.

    On 19 minutes a gilt-edged chance came and went as a lofted free kick into the box was only headed out as far as Harry Jones who, just inside the box, flashed his shot disappointingly over the bar.

    Just prior to the Jones effort the Turbines will feel they should have been in front themselves when Lewis Hilliard was sent away through the middle, and he rounded keeper Archie Davis but saw his shot blocked. The ball was subsequently recycled where Hilliard was denied again.

    Midway through the half Davis produced a save that had the home supporters applauding as he flung out a hand to tip over a Paul Malone headed effort from a free kick.

    Nine minutes later Dion Sembie-Ferris made a surging run forwards before finding Joshua McCammon whose lofted shot cleared both the advancing Davis and the crossbar, as United continued to cling on to parity.

    Aylesbury were more than matching their hosts, but were finally undone 90 seconds before half time when Wood was penalised for a clumsy challenge in the box and Dan Lawlor stepped up to comfortably convert the spot kick. 1-0 Peterborough

    Half-time: Peterborough Sports 1-0 Aylesbury

    United once again came out trying to take the initiative and a turn and shot from Tajs early on was easily claimed by Lewis Moat, who was then challenged rather more by the same player at a corner kick whose header had to be tipped over.

    However, any hopes of Aylesbury taking anything from the game were then effectively ended by a killer second goal on 59 minutes. A defensive howler in the box contributed to an almighty mess, from which McCammon was able to profit and turn the ball in. 2-0 Peterborough

    With chances few and far between, Sonny French fired a snapshot into the side netting, before the home team added a third twelve minutes before the end.

    Young Henry Nkobi had entered the fray to replace Richard Jones after just six minutes, and gave an assured display which he then crowned with a debut goal. A corner kick was headed down into his path, and with far too much time and space he was able to turn and pick out the bottom corner. 3-0 Peterborough

    Six minutes later Aylesbury grabbed the goal their performance deserved when a long ball forwards saw Tre Mitford get the better of the defence to poke it beyond Lewis Moat and into the net for his 15th Ducks goal of the season. 1-3

    Jack Wood could then have scored a second ‘consolation’ in stoppage time when he met a free kick but guided it just past the upright.

    A decent showing from United in what was always going to be a tough ask, let alone with such limited options available to the manager. Next up - having played Corby and now Peterborough - Aylesbury complete their run of games against the top three when Bromsgrove Sporting visit The Meadow.