Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Sunday 8th September 2019

The FA Cup: 1st Qualifying Round

The Meadow, Chesham Attendance: 208

Aylesbury United

0 3


  Half-time: (0-2)  
    5Jack HOPWOODPlayer Image1
    5Dave O'CONNORPlayer Image2
    5Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image3
    5(c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
    515 72m Jordan JENKINSPlayer Image5
    5Mark RIDDICKPlayer Image6
    5Ollie HOGGPlayer Image7
    514 34m Ben SEATONPlayer Image8
    5Sydney IBIEPlayer Image9
    6Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image10
    516 58m Melvy N'SOMIPlayer Image11
    Anthony BALLPlayer Image12
    58 34m Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image14
    5 72m Lewis OSBORNEPlayer Image15
    511 58m Harry JONESPlayer Image16
    Jacob HUTCHINSONPlayer Image18
      Ben WILLIAMSManager ImageM
    1Player ImageJames BRANSGROVE
    2Player ImageJamie BENNETT
    3Player ImageKyan GULLIVER
    4Player ImageJack FOLAN
    5Player ImageBilly JONES
    6Player ImageGus DOUGLAS
    7Player ImageDanny MCCULLOCK12 80m 
    8Player ImageBenji CRILLEY
    9Player ImageCallum IBE16 76m 
    10Player ImageEmiel AIKEN17 74m 
    11Player ImageSamrai GEBAI
    12Player ImageRyan MAXWELL7 80m 
    13Player ImageFrancisco 'Chico' RAMOS
    14Player ImageRyan REED
    15Player ImageCharlie YEXLEY
    16Player ImageDwade JAMES9 76m 
    17Player ImageOllie FORTUNE10 74m 
    18Player ImageNicky SYMONS
    Match Report


    Aylesbury disappointingly crashed out of the FA Cup with a humbling 3-0 home defeat by Essex Senior League side Walthamstow in a Sunday encounter at The Meadow to leave their unbeaten start to the season already seem a distant memory.

    It was a match which saw the Ducks - second best in every area of the pitch - concede three penalties (the first of which was saved) and convincingly beaten to such an extent that the scoring could ultimately have been higher.

    United suffered a blow in the loss of striker Ken Feyi in the warm up, and with it the focal point of so much of their attacking play this season, as he was replaced in the team by on-loan Hemel Hempstead youngster Sydney Ibie.

    Nevertheless, there was reason for early optimism as Aylesbury moved the ball about well in the opening exchanges, and Ibie had a couple of probing runs to the byeline.

    But Walthamstow arrived full of confidence thanks to their own strong start to the campaign, and quickly showed they meant business. United had already once struggled to clear their lines seconds earlier, and when it happened again the ball came to Callum Ibe his trickery made room for a shot but the ball flew well over.

    After just eight minutes and the Stages were gifted a chance to go in front when one ball over the top had the defence floundering and Dave O’Connor fouled his man for a clear penalty. Jack Hopwood made a good save and Aylesbury seemed to have been let off the hook.

    United were clearly rattled, though, and three minutes later a throw in from the right lead to a poor defensive header that came to Emiel Aiken whose shot was blocked by Jack Wood.

    On the quarter hour mark a rare moment of attacking quality from Aylesbury saw Sonny French drive through midfield with the ball before slipping it through to Ibie who snatched his shot wide of the near post.

    The next action of the game saw the visitors deservedly ahead. A fine ball through the defence released Samrai Gebrai and although Hopwood made a good sprawling save, Danny McCullock was first to react and fire home the loose ball. 1-0 Walthamstow

    Things got even worse 90 seconds later as Hopwood spilled a long shot and in desperately trying to retrieve the ball fouled his man. A change of penalty taker saw Billy Jones step up and make no mistake in sending the keeper the wrong way. 2-0 Walthamstow

    On 34 minutes manager Ben Williams opted for a substitution to try and change the course of proceedings, with Greg Williams coming on in place of Ben Seaton.

    Soon afterwards and United mustered their first effort on target when the ball was worked forwards to Ibie who controlled it on his chest before firing in a fierce shot that was beaten away.

    It marked the start of a brighter end to the first half as the Ducks ended the first period on top. Melvy N’Somi should have scored when a defence-splitting pass put him one-on-one with the keeper, but his woeful miscue only skewed badly wide.

    Half-time: Aylesbury 0-2 Walthamstow

    Unfortunately, Aylesbury weren’t able to keep their momentum going and the second period started with McCullock seeing a shot blocked in the area.

    The old cliche goes ‘goals change games’ and in the space of a minute Aylesbury went from seeing two shots cleared off the line, to their visitors extend their lead further to kill off the tie.

    Jack Wood’s header into the box from a free kick resulted in two efforts heroically cleared - the latter from Ibie - allowing Walthamstow to break quickly. When the ball came to Ibe he cut inside Jordan Jenkins only to be taken down for referee Mr Danaher’s third easy penalty call of the afternoon.

    Cue a third different penalty taker - Gerbai this time - who found the net to effectively end the contest. 3-0 Walthamstow

    Aylesbury tried in vain to get themselves back in the game but only had long shots from Wood and Dave O’Connor to show for their efforts.

    Instead, it was the visitors who had the better chances - notably a counter attack that saw substitute Dwade James break free before squaring to McCullock who shot wide with only Hopwood to beat.

    Greg Williams and Ibie had half chances, whilst Ollie Hogg curled a 25-yard free kick over the bar and as time ticked by it was clear this wasn’t to be Aylesbury’s afternoon.

    In stoppage time Walthamstow found themselves clean through again when Gerbai ran in behind the defence, but, apparently caught in two minds, he found himself smothered by the approaching Hopwood and the chance was gone.

    For the Ducks this was a thoroughly disappointing end to their FA Cup hopes for another season, but we wish the Stags well in the next round and for the season ahead.

    Aylesbury will be looking to bounce back immediately with another home game as Coleshill Town visit in the league on Saturday 14th September.