Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Tuesday 29th October 2019

BetVictor Southern League Division One Central

The Carlsberg Stadium, Biggleswade Attendance: 118

Biggleswade FC

2 1

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (2-1)  
    Tyler JOSEPHSPlayer Image1
    Michael SIMPSONPlayer Image2
    Luke OSWICKPlayer Image3
    Danny PAYNEPlayer Image4
    Dan NEWTONPlayer Image5
    Nathan GEORGEPlayer Image6
    16 83m (c) Tom COLESPlayer Image7
    Lawrie MARSHPlayer Image8
    17 74m Scott JOSEPHPlayer Image9
    12 76m Jack MORIARTYPlayer Image10
    Ryan INSKIPPlayer Image11
    10 76m David LENTONPlayer Image12
    Adam DRAKULICPlayer Image14
    Charlie JOYPlayer Image15
    7 83m Sam KELLYPlayer Image16
    9 74m Sean MCMONAGLEPlayer Image17
    1Player ImageJack HOPWOOD7
    2Player ImageDave O'CONNOR5
    3Player ImageJake BEWLEY8
    4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
    5Player ImageJordan JENKINS7
    6Player ImageJamie JELLIS8
    7Player ImageHarry JONES15 70m 7
    8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS16 70m 7
    9Player ImageKen FEYI8
    10Player ImageSonny FRENCH7
    11Player ImageSydney IBIE17 55m 6
    12Player ImageAnthony BALL
    14Player ImageLewis OSBORNE
    15Player ImageTy DEACON7 70m 
    16Player ImageDavid MANU8 70m 
    17Player ImageBen SEATON11 55m 7
    MManager ImageBen WILLIAMS
    Match Report



    Aylesbury’s unbeaten start to the league season was ended, at the tenth time of asking, by Biggleswade in an eventful game at Langford Road Stadium.

    Manager Ben Williams was looking for a reaction after the dire FA Trophy exit at Sevenoaks and rang the changes with Jamie Jellis handed a first start since returning to the club on loan, Greg Williams and Sydney Ibie recalled, and Ken Feyi and Harry Jones back in action after significant layoffs.

    The Ducks were much improved whilst they dominated the opening 25 minutes of the game, only had one goal to show for their efforts as Feyi marked his return with a headed effort.

    Unfortunately a defensive mistake and a contentious red card swung the game in the hosts favour, but even playing for most of the night with ten men Aylesbury put in a spirited display and were unlucky not to come away with something.

    After a slow start to proceedings United slowly increased the pressure and a great ball in from Jellis in the 12th minute saw a defender just get there ahead of Jones to put the ball behind.

    The resulting corner kick initially came to nothing, but when Jellis recovered possession he whipped in a delightful near post cross where Feyi nipped in ahead of the defence to head home. 1-0 Aylesbury

    Biggleswade had been playing some neat football and a number of testing crosses had been well dealt with by the Aylesbury defence, and when their first shot on goal arrived on 19 minutes it was a wayward one from Danny Payne from a half cleared cross.

    A minute later and the Ducks were close to a second when a combination of French and Ibie won the ball back to tee up Feyi for a curling effort that came back off the top of the crossbar.

    FC then had a chance to go close when Scott Joseph won a corner which was flicked just wide by Tom Coles, before Aylesbury themselves went close from a flag kick two minutes later when Bewley’s delivery was dummied at the near post and in the scramble Feyi saw his shot blocked.

    On the half hour mark Sonny French on a typical driving run saw space open up in front of him, and his fierce effort was rather unconvincingly batted away by Tyler Josephs, who was a relieved man to see the flag go up against the following-in Harry Jones - though he got the finish all wrong anyway.

    This was a crucial moment in the match - and instead of sitting pretty with a two-goal cushion, a defensive blunder a minute later saw BIggleswade draw level. A long ball forward saw debutant Joseph give chase, and in trying to head the ball back to keeper Jack Hopwood, Dave O’Connor didn’t get enough on it, giving Joseph the chance to steal in and score easily. 1-1

    Almost immediately, United had a chance to restore their lead when yet another telling ball in from Jellis found Ibie, but having got on the end of the cross the Hemel Hempstead loanee met the ball with his shoulder and it dropped wide.

    Just five minutes after conceding, Aylesbury’s evening went from bad to worse when Dave O’Connor was penalised for a foul that referee Mr Hartley deemed a ‘last man’ offence and in a flash branded a red card. It seemed a little harsh and the speed at which the card was brandished maybe suggested the referee could have given himself some more time to consider, but he was clear in his mind and United were left to play 55 minutes with ten men.

    To compound their misery Ryan Inskip stepped up and delivered a swerving free kick around the wall that gave Hopwood no chance, to put his side ahead for the first time. 2-1 Biggleswade

    Aylesbury regrouped and with their reshuffle seeing Jack Wood switch to central defence and Jones dropping in at right back, were able to maintain their attacking dimension. The half ended as it had been for most of the night - end to end - but with no further clear chances finished 2-1.

    Half-time: Biggleswade 2-1 Aylesbury

    An early second half substitution saw Ben Seaton enter the fray for Aylesbury, who nearly found the equaliser just before the hour mark when Wood dived in to meet Bewley’s excellent corner delivery but his effort was straight at the keeper.

    Six minutes later and Joseph slotted a clear chance wide after a flowing move involving his fellow new signing Jack Moriarty - a Stevenage youth teammate of Jamie Jellis who joined Biggleswade on loan a week earlier and was making his first start.

    Jellis it was who had the Ducks’ next chance when he fed on Feyi’s ball forward but dragged his shot wide across goal.

    Aylesbury kept up their search for the equaliser, and after a double substitution saw the introductions of Ty Deacon and Ken Feyi, they hit the bar for the second time of the evening when another telling corner from Bewley was flicked goalwards by Jordan Jenkins only to rebound off the woodwork.

    Another two corner kicks were both scrambled away as the pressure kept up, before Ben Seaton fired the last meaningful chance of the game well wide after Bewley’s searching cross fell to him.

    Eventually time ran out for United and their hopes of extending their unbeaten record, but this was a credible performance - particularly after the depletion in numbers for so long and with displays like this it won’t be long before a return to winning ways.