Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Corby Town

5 2

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (2-0)  
Alastair WORBYPlayer Image1
Curtis HARTLEYPlayer Image2
Sam WARBURTONPlayer Image3
16 66m Joe BURGESSPlayer Image4
Charlie WISEPlayer Image5
Gary MULLIGANPlayer Image6
James CLIFTONPlayer Image7
(c) Jake DUFFYPlayer Image8
14 78m Elliot SANDYPlayer Image9
Greg LINGPlayer Image10
12 82m Jordon CRAWFORDPlayer Image11
11 82m James IRELANDPlayer Image12
9 78m Ryan ROBBINSPlayer Image14
Robbie PARSONSPlayer Image15
4 66m Steve DIGGINPlayer Image16
Owen MONTGOMERYPlayer Image17
1Player ImageJack HOPWOOD
2Player ImageHarry JONES15 26m 
3Player ImageJake BEWLEY
4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)
18Player ImageDave O'CONNOR
6Player ImageMark RIDDICK
7Player ImageAnthony BALL16 64m 
8Player ImageLewis OSBORNE14 53m 
9Player ImageKen FEYI
10Player ImageSonny FRENCH
11Player ImageMax HERCULES
12Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS
14Player ImageBen SEATON8 53m 
15Player ImageJordan JENKINS2 26m 6
16Player ImageTy DEACON7 64m 
MManager ImageBen WILLIAMS
Match Report



Match report by Ian Pluck

The Ducks travelled to top of the table Corby Town having lost just one game in the last 11, that being at the hands of high-flying Halesowen Town. On paper, today’s match was the toughest of the campaign so far, with the free scoring hosts 5 points clear at the top of the table. Manager Ben Williams named an unchanged starting XI and welcomed Jordan Jenkins back to the bench after missing last week’s match against Wantage.

On a blustery day, the hosts were on the offensive from the start and took the lead in the 3rd minute. A cross from debutant James Clifton fell to Joe Burgess, who played the ball to top scorer Jordon Crawford, whose shot was deflected past Jack Hopwood. 1-0 Corby

It went from bad to worse for the Ducks four minutes later, as Anthony Ball was beaten to an aerial ball by Sam Warburton 25 yards from goal, with the ball falling to Greg Ling. The midfielder played the ball to Elliot Sandy, who finished clinically past Hopwood from the edge of the area. 2-0 Corby

From the kick off, referee Ruebyn Ricardo played a good advantage after a late tackle on Max Hercules wide on the left. The ball had been played to Lewis Osbourne who drifted infield and was fouled on the edge of the penalty area. Ken Feyi stepped up to take the free kick, but his attempt was high, wide and not so handsome.

In the 14th minute Clifton made good progress down the right, beating Jake Bewley and finding Crawford with a fine cross to the far post, where Crawford saw his shot well saved by Hopwood. Crawford turned provider three minutes later, tormenting Harry Jones before crossing to Sandy at the far post, who headed narrowly wide of the target.

In the 26th minute Ben Williams made a tactical change, replacing Jones with Jordan Jenkins, with skipper Jack Wood moving to right back. The Ducks had a period of possession as the half developed, passing the ball around neatly, although there was little penetration from their attacks.

Five minutes before half time a chipped ball by Warburton found Sandy on the left side of the penalty area, whose first-time volley was well collected above his head by Hopwood. As half time approached, Sonny French was penalised for handball 20 yards from goal. Clifton stepped up and forced Hopwood into a fine diving save to his left. The final chance of the half fell to the Ducks; French won the ball in the centre circle and spotted the run of Max Hercules. The young winger took the ball in his stride, but his left foot shot from 18 yards was weak and wide of the target.

Half-time: Corby 2-0 Aylesbury

The hosts started the second period as they had the first, on the offensive. A corner delivered from the right by skipper Jake Duffy was met by central defender Charlie Wise, but his header was cleared off the line by Hercules, with the follow up by Burgess gathered by Hopwood.

The Ducks made their second substitution of the match in the 53rd minute, with a limping Lewis Osbourne replaced by Ben Seaton. Two minutes later the hosts extended their lead and effectively sealed their win. Another corner from Duffy was this time met by Burgess, whose powerful header from 10 yards gave Hopwood no chance. 3-0 Cortby

Just past the hour mark, another driving run by French saw him leave two defenders in his wake, followed by a pass to Hercules, whose shot cleared the crossbar.

In the 68th minute a through ball saw Sandy advance towards goal, but Jenkins was penalised for a pull on the striker, with a penalty and a yellow card for Jenkins the result. Sandy stepped up to take the spot kick, but saw his shot well saved by Hopwood, diving to his left.

Two minutes later, the Steelmen did increase their lead. Clifton was fouled in midfield, but the referee played a good advantage, which saw the ball played out to substitute Steve Diggin on the right, who drilled a powerful cross into the penalty area where Crawford met the ball and directed a header past Hopwood. 4-0 Corby

Ten minutes from the end and Crawford got his third. After scoring with his left and then his head, this time it was his right foot to complete the “perfect” hat trick. Ling picked out a pass to Warburton overlapping down the left who pulled the ball back to the striker on the edge of the penalty area, who coolly stroked the ball home. 5-0 Corby

To their credit the Ducks didn’t give up and kept going to the final whistle, rewarded by two goals and a near miss. First, a free kick from the left was met by Dave O’Connor, who headed the ball down into the goal area, where Mark Riddick was on hand to score his first goal for the club. 1-5

Two minutes later, French again made good ground down the left, before passing to Feyi who shot over keeper Alastair Worby, but was unlucky to see his attempt come down off the cross bar before being collected by the keeper. One minute from time, another French through ball saw Ty Deacon beat the offside line and the advancing keeper to calmly walk the ball into an empty net to register his first league goal. 2-5

In truth, the two late goals were a mere consolation, but they were reward for the perseverance of the team on what could have been a humiliating afternoon at the hands of another of the firm favourites for promotion. Next up is a home match next Saturday against the first team to inflict a league defeat on the Ducks this season, Biggleswade FC.