The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Ducks Held by Stotfold

Saturday 29 January 2011 - 10:44 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

A disappointingly dismal second half resulted in Aylesbury being held 1-1 at home by Stotfold after a thoroughly entertaining, and dominant, first half performance by the Ducks.

Paul Edgeworth kept up his excellent scoring record against Stotfold by equalising in the 25th minute after the visitors had gone ahead against the run of play courtesy of Dean Hamilton's brilliant strike.

The 1-1 half-time scoreline didn't at all reflect the first half though, as Aylesbury had chance after chance and should have been well out of sight.

As it was, they were made to regret their missed opportunities and a forgettable second period meant chances were scarce, and it was two points dropped for United.


Ducks Edged Out of County Cup

Wednesday 26 January 2011 - 01:05 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Aylesbury's last hope of silverware this season evaporated in cruel fashion as they lost 2-1 at home to Wantage Town.

The Ducks took an early lead against their high flying Hellenic League opponents through John Mulholland, but he was to go from hero to zero as his second half mistake allowed Wantage to turn the game around.

There was no disputing that the visitors were the better side as they made the ducks work had throughout with their quality on the ball.

They deservedly equalised five minutes after the break as the pressure finally told, before Mulholland's rare mistake handed the visitors victory.

It was cruel on Aylesbury who had battled away and defended well only to be beaten by one moment of madness.


Late (Missed) Penalty Rescues a Point

Saturday 22 January 2011 - 11:01 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

A controversial late penalty award spared the Ducks' blushes as they had to battle from two-goals down to draw 2-2 at Biggleswade United.

Following an utterly forgettable first half, the second period was much more entertaining and started in the worst possible manner for Aylesbury who gifted their hosts a two-goal lead.

First Connor Waite turned in a deflected effort which looped over the helpless Sillitoe, before a quality effort from Joe Bradbury made it two five minutes later.

But with half an hour still to play, Aylesbury managed to regroup and eventually began to force some telling pressure on their opponents, and John Mulholland reduced the deficit from a corner kick.

Controversy ended the game when goalkeeper Kevin Lane brought down substitute Joey Acheampong - the referee deeming the offence inside the area and awarding the penalty.

This was a dramatic event in itself as Lane saved Edgeworth's spot kick, Baines couldn't convert the rebound before Danny Jones got the telling touch to steer the ball home and rescue a point for his side.


Friendly falls foul of the weather

Monday 17 January 2011 - 12:37 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | Two comments |

Unfortunately tomorrows planned friendly against New Bradwell St Peter has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch

Friendly Arranged

Monday 17 January 2011 - 01:22 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Following Saturday's postponement, Aylesbury have arranged a friendly at New Bradwell St. Peter.

This will take place on Tuesday 18th January, kick off at 7.30pm (weather permitting!).


St Margartesbury Game Off

Saturday 15 January 2011 - 03:53 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Following a pitch inspection at St Margaretsbury this morning, the game has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch

Pitch Inspection at St Margaretsbury

Friday 14 January 2011 - 09:15 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

There is a pitch inspection at St Margaretsbury at 10.30 tomorrow morning ahead of our scheduled fixture with them.

We will post the results of the inspection here as soon as we have the information tomorrow morning.


Ducks Back On Track

Saturday 08 January 2011 - 10:41 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Seven comments |

Aylesbury got a much needed three points with a 3-1 win over struggling Harefield United at Bell Close.

In a scrappy match, United were made to work hard for their victory by a rejuvenated side who had won their last two outings.

Harefield looked vulnerable in the first half though and Aylesbury took a two-goal lead through Ben Baines and Jack Wood.

It could have been more had the Ducks exhibited a bit more attacking inventiveness, but as it was an own goal quickly made it 2-1 instead.

Harefield looked a different side after the break, aided by a couple of substitutions, and had a number of chances to level the game.

But Aylesbury held firm and eventually scored a decisive third as Danny Jones rifled home late on and get the Ducks back on track.


Ducks Drubbed at Chalfont

Monday 03 January 2011 - 11:13 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Aylesbury's return to action didn't go to plan as they were comprehensively beaten at league leaders Chalfont St. Peter.

From the off the hosts were in a different class to United, and it took just 13 minutes for the deadlock to be broken as an inswinging free-kick was touched in ahead of Jack Sillitoe.

Saints successes this season have largely been built on the quality of their counter-attacking play, and one such move had United two-down midway through the half as Charlie Strutton netted.

Terrell Lewis made it three just after the break, and as Aylesbury's defence continued to ship goals too easily Strutton added another two to complete his hat-trick and put his side five up.

There was some late consolation for the beleaguered Ducks though when Lea Coulter smashed home in stoppage time to at least reduce the arrears, but it was a win at a canter for Chalfont.