The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Saints March To Win Over Poor Ducks

Thursday 31 March 2011 - 4:15 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury's unbeaten run was brought to an abrupt end by a comprehensive 3-0 defeat at St. Margaretsbury.

From the outset it was impossible to tell which side were playing their third match of the week, or struggling at the wrong end of the table, due to United's lacklustre showing.

A second half brace of counter attacking goals by Joe Rudkin put the home side well in control, before the night got even worse when the reds notched a third through Ricky Light late on.

This was a rare occasion when the Ducks carried little goal threat, and although there was some urgency to their play in the closing moments it was too little, too late.


Aylesbury United Supporters Trust Meeting

Wednesday 30 March 2011 - 05:21 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

As many of you will know, last night the Aylesbury United Supporters Trust (21st Century Ducks) held a Special General Meeting for members.

The meeting, held at Aylesbury College, was very well attended and members were told of:

- Plans for next season

- Early discussions which were taking place with the College regarding a possible development which would include the provision of an all weather playing surface which could also be used by Aylesbury United FC

- Preliminary discussions wihch had taken place between representatives of the board of Aylesbury United and representatives of Aylesbury Football Club to explore the advantages and possibilities of a merger between the two clubs

Members were pleased to hear of the plans for next season and encouraged by talks currently taking place with the College. There was little enthusiasm for a merger with Aylesbury Football Club.

The meeting concluded with a motion being put forward that the following be released as Aylesbury United Supporters Trust's official position:

We continue to explore all reasonable options for a return to Aylesbury. However, there is nothing on the table at the moment which would encourage further discussion with Aylesbury Football Club at this stage

The motion was unanimously voted in favour by members and the meeting was closed at 9.15.


Melford On The Mark as Ducks Held

Saturday 26 March 2011 - 12:02 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury remain unbeaten in March, but they twice surrendered a winning position as they were held 2-2 by Hadley at home.

Dominating the first half hour, the Ducks had deservedly taken the lead through Lea Coulter in the 21st minute.

The game's main event was an injury to visiting keeper Adam Robinson, who collided with Mulholland, resulting in a near-25 minute stoppage.

From the eventual restart, Aylesbury were caught sleeping and Hadley equalised through Melford Simpson's smart finish.

After the more regular interval, United were once again on top and Ben Baines scored to put them ahead again after great play by Warren Garcia.

But once again they couldn't hold their lead, Simpson - Hadley's only genuine threat - heading home five minutes from time to level.

It was a definite case of two points dropped by a sloppy United, and they will be looking for better at struggling St. Margaretsbury on Thursday evening.


Ducks Grind Out Win Over Bottom Side

Wednesday 23 March 2011 - 4:26 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

Aylesbury kept up their good form with a routine 2-0 win over league basement side Langford.

Without ever really finding top gear, the Ducks strolled to victory against a Reds side who were more organised than in the two previous meetings, but offered little in way of threat to United's supremacy.

Ben Baines gave Aylesbury an early lead when he latched onto David King's killer ball and fired home, before Warren Garcia's clinical finish five minutes from the break doubled the score.

The second half was less eventful and chances were few and far between as United were comfortable in their lead, and left the field satisfied with their eventual three points.


Ducks On Top at Hanwell

Tuesday 15 March 2011 - 02:15 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury came from behind to win 3-2 at Hanwell Town and make it six games without defeat, courtesy of Edgeworth, Baines and Coulter goals.

The Ducks went a goal down midway through the first half when Charley Baverstock finished off a well worked team move.

It was an even first half but it was Aylesbury who had the better chances and they deservedly equalised when Paul Edgeworth followed in to score from close range at a corner kick.

United took the lead with a similar goal straight after the restart, Baines this time profiting with a tap in when Mulholland headed Jones’ free-kick back across goal.

And in an excellent start to the second half, Aylesbury took full control of the game through a fabulous Coulter effort after 55 minutes.

Momentum swung as the game went on and Hanwell came back strongly for a spell, and indeed pulled a goal back through Michael Buckley’s crisp finish.

But they didn’t have enough in the tank to complete a full comeback and were hampered late on when substitute (and ex-Duck) joint manager Jason Tucker had to limp from the field forcing his side to play the final few minutes with ten men, as Aylesbury did what they couldn’t on Saturday and successfully closed the game down.


Last Gasp Penalty Denies Duck

Saturday 12 March 2011 - 10:45 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Five comments |

Aylesbury's winning run was brought to an end by a stoppage time penalty kick as they were held to a 2-2 home draw by Hertford Town.

As in the sides' FA Vase meeting previously, this was a close run affair which really could have gone either way.

But it looked like the Ducks had secured the three points until a handball decision went against them two minutes after the 90 were up, from which Lee Roberts netted.

Roberts had earlier had a spot kick saved in an entertaining match, which saw the Ducks come from behind after Michael Nathan had given Hertford a 24th minute lead.

Aylesbury levelled with a brilliant move finished off with style by Daniel Jones shortly before the break, and were ahead through skipper Edgeworth's header from Jones corner kick.

The visitors weren't offering much threat as the game wound down, until disaster struck with the penalty kick and United had to settle for a disappointing point.


Ducks Win Again

Wednesday 09 March 2011 - 3:29 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Ten comments |

Aylesbury beat Holmer Green and moved up to fourth (for 24-hours at least) with a fourth successive win, and a third straight 2-0 result.

Yet again, 'patience' was the watchword for the Ducks, who didn't produce their best performance but plugged away and eventually got their reward.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the first half in a match of limited quality, and although United started the second period stronger they continued to be frustrated by their visitors.

That changed in the 74th minute though when a Daniel Jones corner was returned goalwards by John Mulholland, where the waiting Ben Baines headed in from 2-yards out.

The second arrived on 82 minutes, that man Coulter finding the net again, profiting from Baines good work and low cross into the box by tapping into the net.

It was just reward for United in the end, who shaded the second half and will look to keep their run going this Saturday at home to Hertford Town.


Pictures From Royston

Sunday 06 March 2011 - 03:18 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

We have added some pictures from yesterday's excellent win at Royston Town to the photo gallery, courtesy of Zana.

Additionally, there are further images available at Royston's own photo gallery.


Crows Downed by Ducks

Saturday 05 March 2011 - 10:06 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury achieved their best result of the season by winning 2-0 at Royston Town.

It was sweet revenge for the Crows' opening day win at Bell Close by the same shoreline as the Ducks executed their game plan perfectly.

Craig Townsend scored from a corner kick in the first half before Danny Jones rounded off an excellent second half move to settle matters.

Royston could point to a host of missed chances and plenty of dominance, but by the end Jack Sillitoe had only had one serious save to make.

Full time was greeted with mass celebration by players and fans and the gap closed on Royston to just two points.


Aylesbury Grind Out Win

Wednesday 02 March 2011 - 3:18 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Another Lea Coulter brace helped Aylesbury made it back to back wins again with a 2-0 home win over St. Margaretsbury.

The Ducks had to grind out the win though against a side whose performance belied their 20th place in the league.

A disjointed first half saw plenty of shots raining in from both sides, however they were mostly long range efforts with neither side finding much in the way of attacking rhythm.

United were better in the second half and opened the scoring when Coulter was given the benefit of doubt when running on from an offside looking position to score.

That was on the hour mark, and helped to open up the stubborn visitors, but it still took until the 81st minute before Coulter finally wrapped up the win with his second.

It was a solid win in the end for Aylesbury who can now travel to Royston Town five points behind the Crows.