The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Pictures From Yesterday

Sunday 29 January 2012 - 03:55 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

We have added some pictures from yesterday's home win against London Tigers to the photo gallery, courtesy of Zana Bayley.

Premier Division Roundup - 28th January 2012

Saturday 28 January 2012 - 3:39 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Six comments |

At the top of the table, Royston Town bounced back from last weekend’s FA Vase elimination by winning away at Harefield United. The Crows bounced back from conceding to Jack Reader’s 9th minute goal by going on to record a crushing 6-1 win courtesy of braces from Matt Standen and Kaan Fehmi, and solitary strikes from Luke Robins and Tom Malins.

The makeup of the top 4 remains the same as the chasing pack of Dunstable Town, AFC Dunstable and Haringey Borough were all victorious.

Dunstable Town’s Lee Roache scored a hat-trick in the first 29 minutes at Berkhamsted to secure his side a 3-0 win, whilst a goal in each half from Craig Butler and new signing Dean Whitaker helped AFC Dunstable to a 2-0 home win against Oxhey Jets.

Haringey Borough won an entertaining encounter at Leverstock Green 4-3. After the home side had scored first, Haringey equalised on the half hour mark, took the lead four minutes later, and were ahead from that point.

Veteran former Aylesbury striker Mick Swaysland scored two goals for 5th place Tring Athletic at United’s next opponents – Hadley, but on each occasion the home side levelled to leave a final score of 2-2.

The Ducks’ win over London Tigers saw them move up to 7th in the table with both Berkhamsted, and Hillingdon Borough – defeated 2-0 at home to strugglers Hatfield Town – losing.

Biggleswade United are now just three points above the relegation zone as they suffered yet another defeat. Chris Butler gave them the lead at St. Margaretsbury after just 2 minutes, but an own goal and a late Chris Powell effort turned the match around 2-1 in the Saints favour.

Also down at the bottom, in addition to Hatfield’s win, Holmer Green gained a massive three points with a 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Hertford Town – who, after their recent improvement in form, are now back down to 18th, ex-Duck Andy Shed netting Holmer’s second.

Elsewhere, Stotfold are up to 14th with a 2-0 win at fellow mid-table outfit Colney Heath, and Broxbourne Borough shared a 2-2 draw with bottom side Hanwell Town.


Super Joey Tames the Tigers

Saturday 28 January 2012 - 11:20 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Seventeen comments |

Joey Acheampong's late heroics saved the day for Aylesbury in injury time with the match seemingly headed for a draw after Erhad Ponxha levelled on 85 minutes.

The first half ended goalless, but the biggest talking point came after 29 minutes when John Mulholland was headed by his opposite number Dimitri Larin at a corner kick.

Larin came off far the worst, suffering a nasty head injury and heavy landing for his efforts, suffering a fit whilst on the ground and requiring swift paramedic treatment. Thankfully, he was able to later walk to the ambulance but was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

The game restarted after 20 minutes, but it wasn't until the second half when the deadlock was broken - Paul Edgeworth scoring for the third game in a row when he lashed home Stacey Field's cross.

United, defending well, looked on their way to a satisfying 1-0 win, but the visitors had other ideas and stepped up their game before finding an equaliser late in the day.

But Acheampong secured the three points for United in stoppage time, going on a slalom run before finishing supremely.

Match Report


Premier Division Roundup - 21st January 2012

Saturday 21 January 2012 - 3:50 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Dunstable Town’s draw with Aylesbury allowed town neighbours AFC Dunstable to draw level with them on points thanks to their 4-2 at St. Margaretsbury where two goals in the last six minutes secured the win for AFC. With Royston Town involved in FA Vase action the gap between top and 2nd/3rd remains 4 points.

At the other end of the table, a healthy crowd of 117 saw Hanwell Town end their miserable 10-match losing streak which stretched back to November by beating Harefield United 4-2. Myles Stephenson, Jordan Wells-Gardner and Arafat Kabuye all struck for the home side to give new manager Tommy Williams his first victory in the job.

With Holmer Green holding out for a good away point at Tring Athletic courtesy of a goalless draw, Hatfield have closed the gap but still remain bottom for now.

Berkhamsted were the big winners of the day – leapfrogging Aylesbury into 8th place by virtue of their 5-1 win at Hatfield Town. Debutant Kerkston Macpherson, signed from Broxbourne Borough, opened the scoring but Lee Newman gave the sides parity going into half time. A second half brace from Lawrence Bunker put Berko back in control, with Josh Chamberlain and Aaron Usmani adding further goals late on.

There are now 12 points separating 3rd and 4th place as Haringey Borough were held to a 1-1 draw by Colney Heath, whose Ian Cooper scored a 92nd minute penalty to cancel out Chris Benjamin’s earlier strike and rescue the point for his side.

Hertford Town were sent crashing to a 3-0 home defeat, their second in succession, by Hillingdon Borough, whilst Broxbourne Borough were also away winners – 2-0 at Biggleswade United for whom alarm bells must be ringing now as their awful form continues.

Colin Jenkins 19th minute goal gave Oxhey Jets an impressive 1-0 home win over Leverstock Green, whilst, finally, Stotfold and London Tigers shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

In the FA Vase both the remaining SSML sides were sadly eliminated. Both Royston Town and Ampthill Town lost 2-1 at Bournemouth and Oadby Town respectively.


United Make Their Point

Saturday 21 January 2012 - 10:34 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Three comments |

Only a stoppage time leveller prevented Aylesbury taking all three points from Dunstable Town, but one was a more than satisfactory return against the league's 2nd place side.

The Ducks shocked their hosts by taking a 2-0 lead into half time with goals from Paul Edgeworth and Lewis Hallford, despite an onslaught from the Blues.

After the break the heavy pressure on goal continued and eventually had to tell as Town hauled themselves back into proceedings and eventually levelled with twenty minutes remaining.

Aylesbury dug deep and looked to have completed their smash and grab raid when Ben Baines netted late on.

But Dunstable ended a dramatic game by drawing level once again, deep into stoppage time, and the Ducks had to be content with a strong point.


Player News

Tuesday 17 January 2012 - 01:23 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Three comments |

Just to keep all Ducks fans updated Luke Flood is still an Aylesbury United player, however he has moved house and travelling to games has been and will be tough from now on. Luke is a great lad who I have a lot of time for and he has asked to stay signed on as a player and will be back in the squad when he can.

Leaving the club will be Kevin Ayodele. Kevin rejoined the club but was unfortunately injured in his first game and with the good displays at right back from Sam Slatter he has found it difficult to reclaim his place in the side. Good luck Kevin.

I have acted quickly to void this defensive gap in the squad and signed young defender Joe Donaldson from New Bradwell St Peter. Joe is a strong lad and will add good competition.

Also joining us is Russell Clark, a midfield player signed from Berkhamsted, and Warren Smith who is an attacking midfielder or forward who came on for the last few minutes at Hanwell

All three signings are young players who have talent and will feature this season but are players that I feel l are for the future of the club as well.

We have a good squad of players at present and it is now a good time for young players to gain experience from our senior players as we start looking to the future to build this great club more solid foundations as we go in to 2012 and beyond.



Premier Division Roundup - 10th December 2011

Sunday 15 January 2012 - 04:34 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

A last minute goal from Carl Edwards ensured Royston Town maintained their five point advantage over Dunstable Town at the top of the table after Saturday’s matches. First half penalties from Royston’s Kaan Fehmi and Colney’s Jamie Eames had left the score evenly poised before the late winner.

The two Dunstable outfits, Town and AFC in 2nd and 3rd respectively, were both victorious with Town claiming a 3-1 home win over bottom markers Hanwell Town – who remain 7 points from safety. AFC were 2-0 winners at 6th placed Leverstock Green, who fall further away from the chasing pack as a result.

4th and 5th sides Haringey Borough and Tring Athletic both had successful away days, with Haringey gaining a 2-0 win at Hertford Town thanks to a brace from Chris Benjamin, whilst Tring condemned Hillingdon Borough to their biggest home defeat of the season – 4-0. The impressive Reon Thomas scored his 4th goal in 5 games since joining from Amersham Town to get the ball rolling for Tring, with Matt Jarvis, an own goal, and Graham Hall also on the scoresheet.

Broxbourne Borough made it back to back league wins with a 4-2 home result against Stotfold, where Jordan Watson scored a second half brace for the Goffs Lane side after John Tikare and Chris Doyle had fired them 2-0 ahead after just six minutes.

Hadley’s Rob Quattromoni scored the game’s only goal as they beat Biggleswade United 1-0 in what was United’s fifth straight defeat, whilst London Tigers twice came from behind to also win at home - 3-2 over Oxhey Jets with Wadah Adhmidi netting the winner twelve minutes from time.

Finally, Harefield United shared the spoils with St. Margaretsbury in a 1-1 draw. Keemo Maphela put the hosts ahead in the 31st minute with his fifth goal in six games, only for Dave Edemee to level in the second half.


Ducks vs Comrades OFF

Saturday 14 January 2012 - 03:48 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Six comments |

Unfortunately today's match against Berkhamsted has been postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Although some parts of the ground are in the sunlight and thawing out, a large proportion - including the far goalmouth - are under increasing shadow and remain rock hard.

The game will now be rescheduled for a future date.


Pitch Inspection

Saturday 14 January 2012 - 02:47 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

A pitch inspection is taking place today at Leighton at 10.30. An update will be posted here once that has been completed.

Its a funny old game

Sunday 08 January 2012 - 02:36 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

The Ducks returned from the game against Hanwell Town with what on the face of it was a comfortable win. However, the scoreline doesn’t necessarily reflect the balance of play, such was the effort the bottom of the league team put into the game.

The game, played under a setting sun, was dominated by the hosts in the first half, and had they been able to capitalise on their possession could have been ahead at the break. However, it was livewire striker, Joey Acheampong, in the form of his life at the moment, who made the breakthrough 12 minutes from half time, after outpacing the home defence and finding the corner of the net.

The half time team talk paid dividends as the Ducks looked much more dangerous in the second period, scoring twice more in the space of two minutes midway through the half from Paul Edgeworth and a second from Acheampong. Hanwell who showed that under their new management they are not going to be easy opposition for anyone, played good football throughout, belying their lowly league position and scored an impressive goal themselves from Dean Worman with 15 minutes remaining, the least their efforts deserved. However, it was the Ducks who would have the final say, Danny Jones adding the cream on the cake in the last minute direct from a free kick, although perhaps the final scoreline was slightly flattering for the Ducks.

Match Report


February Fixtures Released

Friday 06 January 2012 - 03:08 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

The SSML have today released the fixtures for February which are as follows:

Sat 4th Feb Hadley Home

Weds 8th Feb Hatfield Town Home

Sat 11th Feb Harefield Utd Away

Sat 18th Feb Tring Athletic Home

Sat 25th Feb Colney Heath Away

These will be added to the fixture list on the site when Luke returns from his short break.


Warren Garcia

Friday 06 January 2012 - 03:06 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Following discussions with Aylesbury FC, the club have agreed to waive our rights under the FA seven day approach rule to allow Warren Garcia to join them on a dual registration basis.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Warren for his contribution to the club over the last two seasons and wish him every sucess for the future.


Ducks Blown Away by BJ

Tuesday 03 January 2012 - 02:17 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Following an impressive Boxing Day victory over Leverstock Green, the Ducks made the short journey to Creasey Park to take on AFC Dunstable full of confidence.

In a match played under a sunny sky, but a bitterly cold wind, the first half was mostly one way traffic. The Ducks, with the strong wind at their backs, were camped in the opposition half for the majority of the time, but failed to make their dominance count, going behind 8 minutes before half time to a break away goal from AFC’s leading scorer BJ Christie.

The second half was a more even match, with both sides having opportunities to score, including two credible penalty shouts for the Ducks, but in the end the defences came out on top with no further goals for the bumper Bank Holiday crowd to witness.

As a result, the Ducks dropped a place in the league to 9th, but should be heartened by good displays over an unusually quiet holiday programme, against two teams who are both in the top 5. Without doubt the team can draw positives from these two performances, and will hopefully carry this forward to Saturday’s match at struggling Hanwell. A repeat of this form should see them capable of bringing home the full 3 points.

Match Report