The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Premier Division Roundup - 31st March 2012

Saturday 31 March 2012 - 9:50 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Three comments |

Royston Town battled back from a half-time deficit to cross the 90-point mark this afternoon as they beat AFC Dunstable 2-1 at Garden Walk.

A crowd of 234 witnessed the Crows maintain their three point advantage over Dunstable Town – established by results in midweek – despite having fallen behind to a Terry Billy in the first half. League leading marksman Kaan Fehmi netted twice to swing the match in Royston’s favour.

Dunstable themselves saw off strugglers Holmer Green 5-2 at Creasey Park, where Lee Roache scored a brace alongside goals from Peter Holmes, Nathan Frater and George Brinkman, with Andy Shed and Dean Allen hitting replies for the visitors.

In something of a surprise result, fourth placed Haringey Borough lost out 1-0 at home to Biggleswade United, who move up to 18th as a result. New signing Glen Lamacraft scored the winner after just eight minutes.

It means Aylesbury United are just two points behind in fifth, Stacey Field scoring twice to put himself third in the league top scorer’s list.

Reon Thomas scored and Tring Athletic won for the second time of the week, as they won away at St. Margaretsbury. A new signing in January, Thomas has been out injured a long time, and is now showing just how much Tring have missed his presence. Connor Waite scored the other goal for Athletic.

Colney Heath secured a third straight win by seeing off Broxbourne Borough 3-1 at home, Jamie Eames, Kevin Ashwood putting the home side two-up. Frazer John netted straight after the restart to bring Broxbourne back into the game, but Aaron Clarke reinstated Colney’s advantage in the 70th minute.

There were incredible late shows at both Leverstock Green, where Hadley won 3-0, and Hatfield Town where Stotfold fought back to draw 2-2.

After a fairly uneventful match, Hadley scored all three of their goals in stoppage time through Ricky Gibbs (2) and Dom Petrucci.

Stotfold did similar against Hatfield where they fell behind to two Lee Newman strikes, before Gareth Cottenden and Mark Ellis found the net with goals officially timed at 10 minutes and 14 minutes into stoppage time respectively!

Down at the bottom, Hertford Town won a six-pointer at Hanwell Town 2-1, where ex-Duck Chris Bangura scored the winner on the hour mark, whilst fellow strugglers Harefield United – Aylesbury’s Tuesday night opponents – lost out 3-0 at home to Berkhamsted.

Finally, Oxhey Jets took an early lead through Lewis Putman, but were defeated 2-1 in the end by London Tigers. Khalid Hassan and a Terence Cariba penalty swinging the game in Tigers’ favour.


On-Form Field Fires Ducks to Win

Saturday 31 March 2012 - 5:55 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Stacey Field rattled home another two goals to take his scoring run to eight games, and eleven goals in those matches.

It was a fairly comfortable afternoon for the Ducks against a Hillingdon side who have gone to pieces since the turn of the year, with only one win since January.

Field netted before the break as the home defence and keeper got in an awful mess.

Two goals in three second half minutes then extended the lead - Acheampong scoring after Baines' shot had been saved, before Russell Clark found the net with a superb dipping effort almost immediately.

Aylesbury's lead was rarely troubled after that, although the home side had what they believed was a strong penalty shout for handball denied, although it would have been very harsh.

Field wrapped up his day with another strike late on, and there was even time for manager Tony Joyce to enter the fray for the closing minutes as United ran out convincing winners.

Match report


Leighton Groundshare Secured For Another Season

Thursday 29 March 2012 - 3:57 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Six comments |

Aylesbury United are delighted to announce that the groundshare agreement with Leighton Town has been agreed for next season.

We are once again indebted to all at Leighton for their continued support in securing the deal and hosting us at Bell Close.

2012/13 will be Aylesbury's fourth full season of groundsharing at Leighton Town, and the sixth since being made homeless.


Field Scores Again, but Ducks Well Beaten

Wednesday 28 March 2012 - 07:51 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Stacey Field kept up his incredible scoring streak with a late goal, but it proved little more than consolation as Aylesbury were beaten 2-1 by Hadley.

It meant no extension to the Ducks' six-game winning streak, as they came up against a very impressive footballing side whose 15th place in the league seems somewhat surprising.

Hadley outplayed United for much of the first half, and it was no surprise when Dom Petrucci gave them the lead with a well taken goal five minutes from the break.

A disappointing United improved slightly in the second half, but Petrucci it was who added the second for Hadley when he ran through and finished past Sillitoe.

Field hooked in late on to score for the seventh successive match, and although it lead to some late drama including goalkeeper Jack Sillitoe heading wide at the death, Hadley earned a well deserved win.

Match report


Pictures From Oxhey Game

Monday 26 March 2012 - 09:02 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

Some excellent pictures from Saturday's narrow win over Oxhey Jets have now been added to the match report.

The action shots come courtesy of Mike Snell.

Click here: Oxhey Jets match report

There are also further images to be found on the Oxhey Jets website.


Premier Division Roundup - 24th March 2012

Saturday 24 March 2012 - 10:59 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

Once again, there was no change at the top of the Spartan South Midlands League table following today’s games, with both Royston Town and Dunstable Town enjoying away victories.

Royston had to battle hard to get a result at 10-men Hertford Town, where Luke Robins netted a brace either side of the Blues’ player-boss Marvin Samuels equalising.

For Dunstable, Lee Roache netted his fourth time in two games and his side’s 150th in all competitions this season to help Town to a 2-1 win at St. Margaretsbury. George Brinkman scored Town’s other goal, before Ricky Light pulled back a stoppage time penalty.

The third and fourth placed sides AFC Dunstable and Haringey Borough met at Creasey Park, and shared a 1-1 draw. Terry Billy gave the home side the lead just before the break, before Junior Diantomba brought Borough level in the second half. With Aylesbury winning the gap between the Ducks and Haringey is now down to just two points.

The gap is even greater between fifth and sixth now with Tring Athletic dropping more points as they fell to a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of mid-table Broxbourne Borough. Dean Williams gave the visitors the lead, Graham Hall equalising soon after, but Broxbourne held the lead at the interval when new signing Pietro Quarshie scored, before Fraser John added a third in the second half.

After their recent upturn in form, Leverstock Green were back in the losing habit as they were beaten 2-1 by Colney Heath who leapfrogged them in the table as a result. The prolific Louis Austin, who has been restricted by injury to just nine games this season, gave Green the lead, but goals from Steve Barker and Jack Coombs turned the game around and handed Colney the points.

Hillingdon Borough’s slide down the league continues as they lost 3-0 at Hadley, where Nick Chrysanthou, an own goal, and Alexis Nicholas were the goalscorers.

At the bottom of the table, two 0-0 draws did nothing to help the relegation battlers. Hatfield Town and Biggleswade United, two of the sides in the mire, shared a goalless encounter, as did bottom side Hanwell Town, who faced London Tigers.

Another struggling side, Harefield United, got not respite with a 3-0 defeat at Stotfold. Josh Cook scored midway through the first half, before second half strikes from Lewis Holmes and Gareth Cottenden.

Finally, Holmer Green’s home match with Berkhamsted was abandoned after 76 minutes due to a nasty injury to the home side’s captain, with the Comrades leading 2-0.


Jets Downed by Field Strike

Saturday 24 March 2012 - 4:56 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

A fabulous solo goal from Stacey Field secured Aylesbury's sixth straight win, as they saw off Oxhey Jets 1-0 at Bell Close.

Field collected possession on the right touchline, before going on a long run, past several desperate challenges before dispatching the ball past Mark Jessop in the goal.

The goal came completely out of the blue, Aylesbury having struggled to impose themselves on the game prior to that point.

United grew in confidence after the opener and had a few chances to extend the scoring as they remained on top for much of the second half.

Ten minutes from the end Jets hit back with a new found urgency, and put the Ducks under plenty of pressure, but the defence held firm for a second clean sheet of the week and another 3 points.


Aylesbury United End Of Season Presentation Dinner

Friday 23 March 2012 - 09:27 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

This year the End of Season Presentations will take place in the Harding Restaurant at Aylesbury College, on Friday 4th May 2012.

The format for the evening will be a three course sit down meal (choice of menus to be advised), followed by the presentations.

Cost of the function will be £25 per person, or £45 per couple. Tickets will be limited to 70, so to ensure your attendance at what promises to be a fine evening see Wendy at the turnstile at any home match before the end of the season. Alternatively email to, to book tickets.

There will be a raffle on the night, anyone who is able to donate a prize for the raffle please speak to Erika at any home match.

The supporters player of the year poll will take place at the match against Royston Town on Sat 21st April.


Hard Fought Derby Win for Ducks

Wednesday 21 March 2012 - 09:04 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury cemented their top five credentials with a hard fought win against nearest challengers Tring Athletic.

Both sides gave a committed performance, and the game had been looked to be heading for a goalless draw.

But Stacey Field popped up in the 79th minute to score in his fifth match in a row, and give his side a fifth straight win.

The result keeps up the pressure on 4th placed Haringey Borough, who were beaten by Hertford Town last night.

Match report


Premier Division Roundup - 17th March 2012

Saturday 17 March 2012 - 10:00 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Eight comments |

Big match of the day was in Dunstable, where a crowd of 359 saw Town take the honours in the derby as they beat AFC 1-0, Joe Bruce scoring the winner just before half time.

With Royston Town winning 3-1 at home to Hadley, where Luke Robins scored a brace, positions remain unchanged at the top of the table, though AFC Dunstable are now five points off top spot.

Fourth placed Haringey Borough saw off Hillingdon Borough 6-2 at Coles Park, Dean Fenton scoring four times, with Darrell Cox and Chris Morgan also on target for the home side, Lee Armitt and Chris Drake in response for Hillingdon.

Tring Athletic won their local derby at Berkhamsted 2-1, Matt Jarvis and Rob Duncan putting the visitors 2-0 up before Matt Wardle struck a late consolation for the hosts. That allowed Leverstock Green to leapfrog the Comrades back into 8th place by virtue of their 2-0 win at Broxbourne Borough with a goal in each half from Dan Griggs and Ben Butler.

After six straight defeats in all competitions, Harefield United returned to form and move ten-points clear of the relegation zone by winning 2-0 at Colney Heath.

Also down at the bottom end of the table, Holmer Green picked up a precious three points by winning 1-0 at home to Stotfold, Dean Allen scoring early on to secure the victory.

Fellow strugglers Hanwell Town threw away a 2-0 half-time lead at home to St. Margaretsbury who came back to draw 2-2, meaning Hanwell now occupy the bottom-spot, with Holmer Green overtaking them.

Finally, Hatfield Town still remain in trouble, losing out 6-4 at Oxhey Jets, Luke Beardsworth scoring twice for the hosts, and Steve Brown, Lewis Putman, Chris Killer and Anthony Shepherd all on target. Joe Brunt, Ashley Dray, Jay Welsh and Sean Sawyer all scored for Hatfield.

London Tigers vs Hertford Town was postponed due to Tigers’ ground problems.


Fourth Win For Flying Ducks

Saturday 17 March 2012 - 1:07 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury won 2-1 at Biggleswade United despite another below-par second half performance.

Despite never really hitting top gear, United went into a two-goal advantage courtesy of John Mulholland and Stacey Field.

Mulholland rammed home a loose ball to claim his 10th goal of the season - a mighty impressive feat for a central defender - in the 31st minute.

Although Field scored number two, it was all the work of Joey Acheampong who committed defenders and goalkeeper before squaring for Field to roll into the empty net.

A controversially awarded penalty gave Biggleswade a route back into the game on the stroke of half time, gratefully accepted by Sean Murray who easily converted.

Much like the previous Wednesday's game, this was very much a game of two halves.

As Aylesbury dropped off the pace in the second half, they gave the initiative to their hosts, but unlike Wednesday night there were to be no further goals.

The Reds threatened a few times but didn't have to quality to break United - well marshaled by the superb Mulholland again - down, and the Ducks were able to claim their fourth straight win.

Match report and photos


Ducks Take Points From Game Of Two Halves

Wednesday 14 March 2012 - 09:30 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Four comments |

Aylesbury's age-old habits of making life hard for themselves once again came to the fore as they only just sneaked a win against Berkhamsted.

With one of their best first halves of the season, United were 3-0 up by the break and the game looked dead and buried.

United's goals all came from their in form frontline, Joey Acheampong scoring a sublime curling opener, before Stacey Field netted twice having earlier missed a couple of good chances.

But the visitors came back strongly, and an early goal quickly had Aylesbury on the back foot when Matt Wardle scored with eight second half minutes played.

Things got even worse when substitute Connor Calcutt turned the ball in at the near post to reduce the arrears further.

Aylesbury had to defend strongly for the remainder of the match as Berkhamsted threw the kitchen sink at them.

In the end time ran out on the visitors after what had been the proverbial 'game of two halves' and United secured their third straight win.

Match report


Premier Division Roundup - 10th March 2012

Saturday 10 March 2012 - 10:51 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

No change at the top once again this afternoon, as all three of the top three sides were victorious.

Leaders Royston Town and second placed AFC Dunstable both secured 3-0 home wins against London Tigers and Broxbourne Borough, whilst Dunstable Town recorded their biggest away win of the season, crushing Hatfield Town 7-2 in a match played at London Colney.

Nathan Frater and Jon Cooper both scored braces, whilst Matt Judge, Nick Jackson and Peter Holmes were also on target, with Joe Brunt scoring Hatfield’s goals in either half.

Another big scorer of the day were St. Margaretsbury, who racked up a 6-2 home win against Hadley. In form Steve Tutalmo scored two, as did Leigh Rose, with Brett O’Connor and Ricky Light (penalty) also weighing in with goals, whilst Dom Petrucci struck Hadley’s goals.

Biggleswade United were able to ease their relegation worries with a big 5-0 win at fellow strugglers Harefield United, with five different players on target – John Bitting, Sean Murray, Ryan Nicholl, Martin Russell and David Parker.

Holmer Green’s 5-2 defeat at Aylesbury means they now sit at the foot of the table, with Hanwell Town moving above them by virtue of their 1-0 win over Tring Athletic, Myles Stephenson netting the winning goal.

The Ducks were able to close the gap to fourth place Haringey Borough with the London side losing 2-1 at Stotfold, where Lewis Holmes scored deep in stoppage time to complete a turnaround. Dean Fenton had given the visitors a 25th minute lead, prior to Mark Bryant levelling after 69 minutes.

Leverstock Green lost further ground in the table with a fourth straight league defeat, going down to a 3-1 home defeat to local rivals Berkhamsted. Dan Griggs levelled for the Pancake Lane side to level Dale Sears’ opener ten minutes earlier, with Frankie Jowle and Matt Wardle netting later on.

Two goals in each half gave Colney Heath a 4-0 win at Hertford Town, despite being reduced to 10-men. Ian Cooper and Jamie Eames were the men to score the goals for the visitors.

Finally, mid-table sides Hillingdon Borough and Oxhey Jets played out a scoreless draw.


Ducks Win Eight-Goal Thriller

Saturday 10 March 2012 - 7:09 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury United kept up their recent unbeaten run with a 5-3 defeat of Buckinghamshire neighbours Holmer Green.

It wasn't until a 90th minute Daniel Jones penalty hit the net that the three points were finally secured by the Ducks after a fascinating, rollercoaster game.

Aylesbury went in front with barely two minutes played when Stacey Field converted Joey Acheampong's low ball, and against the league's second bottom side many expected the floodgates to open.

It didn't happen and instead the visitors fought back to take a 2-1 lead with goals by Chris Pape and Dean Allen.

Aylesbury always looked a threat going forwards and levelled when John Mulholland headed in Jones' corner kick, following which Holmer were reduced to 10-men when Steve Nott-Macaire was shown his second yellow card.

When the Ducks made it 4-2 with an Acheampong and Field goal either side of the break it looked like it would be plain sailing for the second half.

But the plucky visitors simply refused to lie down, ex-Duck Andy Shed scoring a belter on 69 minutes to bring his side back into contention.

There were a few nervy moments as United seemed determined to live dangerously, their defence looking less than secure, but Jones converted the late penalty after a foul on Acheampong to finally settle matters.

Match report and photos


April Fixtures Released

Thursday 08 March 2012 - 09:09 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury United's remaining fixtures to the end of the season have now been released.

The Ducks could play a role in the destination of the league championship, with challengers Royston Town visiting Bell Close in the penultimate game on Saturday 21st April.

The month starts with a trip to Harefield United on Tuesday 3rd April, before three home Saturday matches against Haringey, St. Margaretsbury and then Royston.

For the final match of the season, United will make the trip to London Tigers - although the exact venue for this game will be confirmed nearer the time.


United Recover to Beat Broxbourne

Wednesday 07 March 2012 - 08:47 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury recovered from conceding an early goal to eventually beat Broxbourne Borough 3-1.

Anthony Stockman shocked the Ducks when his low drive snuck in with just five minutes on the clock.

But the lead didn't last long as United came back strongly, and Joey Acheampong found the net with a well taken finish having got the better of the defender just ten minutes later.

Aylesbury were then rewarded for their strong start to the second period when Acheampong netted a second, before Stacey Field scored a screamer to make it 3-1.

Broxbourne's cause wasn't helped by the dismissal of striker Dean Williams just before United's third goal, shown two yellow cards in succession for dissent.

It meant for a comfortable last thirty minutes, the Ducks having further chances to score without being able to extend their lead.

Match report


Premier Division Roundup - 6th March 2012

Wednesday 07 March 2012 - 08:24 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

A total of five matches were played last night in the Molten Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.

With a 5-1 crushing of struggling Hatfield Town, Royston Town re-established a three-point lead at the top of the table, although the Crows have now played one game more than the Dunstable sides.

Matt Standen gave Royston an early lead and that’s how it stayed until the break, with Kaan Fehmi, Luke Robins (2) and Ross Collins netting second half goals to ensure a comfortable win. Daryl Smith struck Hatfield’s response.

Leverstock Green’s worrying downturn in form shows no side of halting as they slipped to 8th following a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of London Tigers, whose Jamal Miah and Erhad Ponxha scored second half goals.

Haringey Borough returned to winning ways after their weekend draw with Aylesbury, further consolidating their 4th spot with a 3-1 away win at Harefield United. Dewayne Clarke opened the scoring in the first half, before Harefield levelled through Jack Todd after the break.

Parity only lasted six minutes though before Chris Morgan gave Borough the lead again, before Junior Diantomba scored late on.

At The Recreation Ground, Colney Heath extended their winning run to four matches as they once again came from behind, this time seeing off Oxhey Jets. Lewis Putman gave the visitors a third minute lead, but two goals from Aaron Clarke and one from Ian Cooper after the break gave Colney the three points and a 3-2 win.

Elsewhere, Biggleswade United held Hillingdon Borough to a 0-0 draw, Hillingdon’s early season promise rapidly fading away in spookily similar fashion to last season.

Finally, the second semi-final of the Premier Division cup saw St. Margaretsbury shock Dunstable Town to make the final. Dunstable were leading by two goals at the break through ex-Ducks Craig Henney (pen) and Nick Jackson. The Reds hit back though and a Leigh Rose hat-trick and one from Martin Stickland sent them through with a 4-2 win to a final with Royston Town.


Premier Division Roundup - 3rd March 2012

Saturday 03 March 2012 - 10:33 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Only one of the top three sides managed a victory this afternoon – Dunstable Town – who eventually broke down a stubborn Harefield United with a 42nd minute goal to go on and win 5-0 with Nathan Frater scoring a hat-trick.

As a result Town draw level on points with Royston Town (who reclaimed top spot in midweek by beating Tring) as they were came from two-goals behind to share the points 2-2 at St. Margaretsbury – Kaan Fehmi scoring the equaliser from the spot.

AFC Dunstable’s thirteen game winning streak was brought to an end by Tring Athletic, where the sides played out a goalless draw.

The only side to make ground in the league were Colney Heath, who battled back from a 0-2 half time deficit at Biggleswade United to win 4-2, leading marksman Ian Cooper netting a brace which sees his side move up to 8th in the table.

Shock result of the day went to Hertford Town who put their recent miserable run behind them to beat 7th place side Leverstock Green 5-0 on their own turf. Despite a plethora of debutants on show for the visitors, it was old boys Dave Hunt (2) and Lee Roberts (3) who fired the Blues to victory.

At the foot of the table, Hanwell Town claimed an important point in a 1-1 draw at Berkhamsted, whilst third bottom Hatfield Town were beaten 1-0 at London Tigers courtesy of Erhad Ponxha’s 49th minute strike.

Hadley recovered from their midweek defeat by Aylesbury to see off the third of the bottom three clubs Holmer Green with a 2-1 win. Dom Petrucci and Ben Luck put Hadley 2-0 ahead, before Callum Clarke pulled a goal back for the visitors.

Hillingdon Borough moved down to 10th after a 1-0 defeat at home to Stotfold, Josh Cook scoring the only goal in the 68th minute, and elsewhere Broxbourne Borough and Oxhey Jets shared a 1-1 draw.


Ducks Draw at Haringey

Saturday 03 March 2012 - 9:12 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Late goals in each half denied Aylesbury what would have been a tremendous win at Haringey Borough, but a 2-2 draw and a point from Coles Park was well deserved.

A draw was the right result from a game where the two sides were evenly matched for much of the contest.

Aylesbury's goals both came from excellent Jones corners - Mulholland tapping in the first and Russell Clark - on at half time for his debut - heading in the second.

Borough are on a long unbeaten run but rarely looked a side who have netted 6 goals 3 times in their previous 7 unbeaten matches, as United defended well again.

But tiredness crept into their game after their energetic exploits of three nights earlier.

A well worked goal in first half stoppage time saw Dean Fenton level for Haringey, before five minutes from time Darrell Cox scored after the ball fell kindly for him to ensure the points were shared.

Match report