The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Jets and Ducks in Six-Goal Thriller

Tuesday 30 October 2012 - 09:10 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

A pulsating 3-3 draw saw Aylesbury claim their first ever point at Boundary Stadium against a very good Oxhey Jets side.

Jets went ahead in the 29th minute when Lee Inch fired home from the edge of the area.

The lead was deserved on balance of first half chances, but United clawed themselves back level when Field fired home on the stroke of half time.

Field struck again early in the second half to turn the game in United's favour, but Jets hit back again and, after a barrage of pressure, eventually scored from the penalty spot.

Aylesbury weren't done and went ahead once more with their own penalty kick as Field convincingly stepped up to complete his hat-trick.

Just five minutes later and the undeterred home side drew level once more as Luke Beardsworth headed home at a corner kick.

The end to end action continued for the remainder of the match and both sides had chances for a winner but had to be content with a point apiece.

Full match report is now available.


Premier Division Review - 28th October 2012

Sunday 28 October 2012 - 10:34 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Twelve comments |

In yesterday’s Premier Division matches, Dunstable Town stormed back from being a goal down to win 6-1 at Hatfield Town and retain their stop spot, as nearest challengers Aylesbury United and Oxhey Jets were once again victorious.

Trailing at the interval to a 10th minute Shane Wood own goal, the league leaders fought back with six second half goals courtesy of Tony Burnett, Wood (scoring at the right end!), a Lee Roache brace, Nathan Frater and Danny Hutchins.

Aylesbury saw off Ampthill Town 4-1 at Bell Close, and third place Oxhey Jets overcame Colney Heath 3-0 at Boundary Stadium, where Steve Brown, Lee Inch and Lewis Putman were the scorers to extend Jets’ unbeaten run to 12 matches.

AFC Dunstable lost in the league at Creasey Park for the first time this season as two goals from ex-Duck Lewis Pritchard helped visitors Berkhamsted to a 3-1 win. New signing Myles Stephenson was the other Comrade on target, with Dunstable’s Ryan Smith netting a debut goal just before half-time to level the match at 1-1 at that point.

London Colney came from behind to win 2-1 at home to Haringey Borough and move up to 5th in the league. Dwayne Clarke gave Borough the lead, but Matt Newman’s 19th goal of the season in the 19th minute and a Dave Keenleyside second half penalty secured the points for Colney.

Recovering from the previous week’s defeat to Dunstable Town were St. Margaretsbury, who beat Stotfold 4-2 at home.

Winning on the road were both Tring Athletic, 2-0 at Biggleswade United with Connor’s Waite and Smith both on target in the first half, and Hanwell Town who won by the same scoreline at Harefield United.

Holmer Green were condemned the their 9th home league defeat of a possible 9 by Hillingdon Borough who took a 2-0 win away from Airedale Park with early goals from Rob Laney and Kyle Matthews doing the damage.

Also down at the bottom, 15 spectators were treated to a gritty early season ‘six pointer’ between London Tigers and Hertford Town which finished goalless.


Field Brace Helps Ducks To Win

Saturday 27 October 2012 - 10:06 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Four comments |

Stacey Field returned to the scoresheet with a brace that helped the Ducks to a 4-1 win over fifth placed Ampthill Town.

Field scored in the 3rd and 60th minute, either side of a Zac Reynolds strike just before half time.

Shaun Cooksey pulled a goal back for Ampthill with 7 minutes remaining, only for Ben Baines to add a United 4th in stoppage time.

The league's other leading sides, and United's next two opponents - Oxhey Jets and Dunstable Town - also both won meaning no change once again to the top 3 in the table.

The full match report, courtesy of Ian Pluck, is now available.


Sad News

Friday 26 October 2012 - 07:47 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury United are saddened to learn of the passing of former Assistant Manager Terry Back after a traffic accident on Wednesday (24th October).

Terry was part of the successful management team with Cliff Hercules who led the club to Ryman League promotion and an FA Cup 1st Round tie at Port Vale.

His larger than life character, sense of humour and enthusiasm for the game made him a great and well respected member of the club.

After leaving the Ducks Terry gave managerial and chairmanship service to clubs including Enfield, Arlesey Town and Walton & Hersham.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this sad time.


Ducks Bow Out As Jets Fly On

Wednesday 24 October 2012 - 07:53 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury were knocked out of the Challenge Trophy 3-1 by in-form Oxhey Jets this evening at Bell Close.

The night got off to a disastrous start as the visitors netted with just two minutes on the clock when Ben Poulton headed home.

Jets could have extended their lead before United grew into the game during the remainder of the half, having a couple of good openings come to nothing.

The half ended just how it started though, with an Oxhey goal putting clear daylight between them and the Ducks - Butler burying a fine 25-yard shot into the top corner.

Aylesbury battled well after the break and an early goal for Ben Baines gave them genuine hope of a comeback, but they couldn't make the most of their spell on top.

Instead, it was Jets who found the net again when Bywater crashed home from close range following a corner kick to send United out.

Full match report is now available.

There is also a report with pictures available on Oxhey's website:


Premier Division Review - 20th October 2012

Saturday 20 October 2012 - 10:12 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

The Spartan South Midlands Premier Division top three remained unchanged once again with the leading trio all victorious.

A hat-trick from Lee Roache helped table-topping Dunstable Town to a 5-3 win over St. Margaretsbury, whose long unbeaten record in the league stretching back to August was brought to an end.

Second placed Aylesbury beat London Tigers 2-0 at home, but big winners of the day were third placed team and midweek cup opponents for the Ducks - Oxhey Jets - who thrashed Leverstock Green 7-1 at Pancake Lane.

Jets were 4-0 at the break courtesy of league top scorer Lewis Putman, Danny Tilbury, Ian Bywater and Gavin Hart, with Putman going on to complete his hat-trick in the second half along with a late goal from Lee Inch. Craig Sharples found the net for the home side, but it was an afternoon to forget for Levy.

Ampthill Town and AFC Dunstable have been engaged in a running battle for 4th spot of late, and the two sides met at Ampthill Park where AFC came out on top of a ten-goal thriller 6-4.

Town threw away a 2-0 lead given to them by Stephane Kemoagna and Michael McKenzie as the Dunstable fightback started before the break – Dean Hitchcock making it 2-1 by the interval.

Kemoagna scored again to make it 3-1 Ampthill, before a flurry of five Dunstable goals in 12 second half minutes – Hitchcock, BJ Christie, Graham Clark, Christie again, and Richard Harker – swung the match for the away side and although McKenzie scored to make it 4-6 the three points went to AFC.

Haringey Borough were unable to make the most of Ampthill’s loss and move up the table as they were held to a 2-2 home draw by Tring Athletic.

Borough lead through Joe O’Cearuill’s 28th minute penalty before Tring came back to lead 2-1 at the interval courtesy of a Stewart King brace. Roland Namquita found the net midway through the second half to earn his side a point.

Stotfold’s fine recent form has seen them now take 10 of 12 available points in October as they beat London Colney, whose own recent form has the complete opposite, 2-1 at Roker Park, though it took a stoppage time goal from Nagweshe Sagwate to win the match.

Moving up to 9th place are Hadley courtesy of a 3-2 win over Harefield United. After a goalless first half, The Hares twice levelled the match after Selmet Karagozlu and then Dom Petrucci had given Hadley the lead, Grant Kemp and Mo Hashi equalising respectively, before Josh Noyes hit the winner seven minutes from time.

Buoyed by a raft of new signings, Hatfield Town were 4-1 winners at Berkhamsted where an own goal gave the visitors a 2nd minute lead, before Jack Coombs made it two with 17 minutes gone. Lewis Pritchard pulled a goal back for the hosts, but Jay Welsh re-established Hatfield’s two-goal advantage before the break, and Matt Hodges added a fourth from the penalty spot late on.

Holmer Green moved off the bottom of the table with a first win since 25th August as they won 2-0 at Hertford Town, Tom Alabaster scoring early and Dean Allen adding the second in stoppage time.

Fellow strugglers Biggleswade United lost 2-1 at Colney Heath, whilst Hanwell Town fought back from 2-0 down at Reynolds Field to draw 2-2 at home against another of the bottom markers, Hillingdon Borough.


United Bounce Back With Win

Saturday 20 October 2012 - 4:57 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Seven comments |

Goals in each half from Ben Butler and Ben Baines gained Aylesbury a 2-0 win over London Tigers as they bounced back from their FA Vase defeat.

This was a much harder game than pre-match league positions suggested, as Tigers arrived at Bell Close with just the four points to their name.

They proved hard to break down and Jack Sillitoe had been the busier goalkeeper for the opening half hour.

Ben Butler finally made the breakthrough after 35 minutes when he fired in Paul Edgeworth's low ball from close range.

The second half saw United more dominant and the second goal came from a good move down the right ending with Ben Hammond crossing, Field flicking on, and Baines scoring.

Further chances to extend the scoring came Aylesbury's way as the visitors tired, Jack Wood and Stacey Field both notably going close, but it ended 2-0 with a pleasing clean sheet to boot.

Full match report is now available.


Jets Challenge Trophy Match Rearranged

Tuesday 16 October 2012 - 2:51 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

The postponed Challenge Trophy match between Aylesbury United and Oxhey Jets has been rearranged.

The tie will now take place a week later than originally planned, on Wednesday 24th October, kick-off 7.45pm.


21CD Quiz Night

Tuesday 16 October 2012 - 07:27 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

The Aylesbury United Supporters Trust (21CD) are hosting a quiz night on Friday 19th October.

This will take place at Eskdale Community Centre, Stoke Mandeville (close to the railway station), starting at 8pm.

Entry costs £5 per person or £20 for a team of four.

Bottled alcoholic drinks will be available on the night.

For tickets contact Erika Robinson on 07986 484711 or contact any member of the 21CD Committee on matchdays.


Council Meeting October 17th

Monday 15 October 2012 - 07:41 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury Vale District Council are holding a full meeting on Wednesday 17th October 2012 at 7.30pm.

This meeting is in support of the motion for the council to look deeper into United's return to Aylesbury, and the general need for Aylesbury to have a sporting facility/arena.

We need as many people to attend (admission is free!) and show the council our support for our club

The meeting will be taking place at The Gatehouse, Gatehouse Road, Aylesbury

In absence of a midweek fixture please attend and show your support. Colours and vocal support essential!


No Great Eight for United

Sunday 14 October 2012 - 5:31 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

There was to be no eighth straight win as Aylesbury's FA Vase campaign was brought to an early end by Kidlington with a 2-0 defeat Bell Close

The Ducks took to the field with a hugely depleted squad meaning manager Tony Joyce had to field himself in midfield.

Aylesbury battled well and created plenty of chances, but they trailed at the interval to Jack Dunmore's goal - an excellent strike although there was an element of good fortune in the buildup.

The second half was much of the same and the visitors doubled their lead early on to effectively kill the contest, once again lady luck not on United's side as Sillitoe's punch rebounded off a Kidlington player into the net.

It really wasn't Aylesbury's day in front of goal as numerous chances went unconverted - one effort coming back off the post - and as late frustrations spilled over Tony Joyce was dismissed for a second yellow card.

United couldn't make the breakthrough to set up any late drama, and it's Kidlington who go through to the 2nd Round.

Full match report now available.


Oxhey Match Postponed

Sunday 14 October 2012 - 09:33 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

Oxhey Jets drew 1-1 with Hanwell Town after extra time in the FA Vase yesterday necessitating a midweek replay.

This means our scheduled Challenge Trophy fixture has been postponed, and will be rescheduled for a later date.


Chaplaincy and Welfare at Aylesbury United

Tuesday 09 October 2012 - 08:55 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Six comments |

Aylesbury United football Club is committed to providing a confidential chaplaincy and welfare service to anyone involved with the club. Historically the Ducks have always had a chaplain, until the early 2000's, when there was an eight year gap, ended when chairman, Graham Read, decided to reinstate the office and approached Martyn Shaw, who was serving on the club's committee and coaching with the youth and reserve teams.

Fundamentally, the role of a sports chaplain is to offer pastoral and spiritual support wherever appropriate; to staff, coaches, players and fans. For each sporting organisation, the chaplain can be a valuable independent listening ear, helping its members through the challenges of life. This confidential support helps athletes of all faiths and beliefs to share concerns or personal issues that they may not be willing to express to their coaches.

Chaplaincy in professional English football has grown significantly in recent years with there now being chaplains at two thirds of the ninety-two clubs playing in the Premier and Football League, and an increasing number of non-league clubs appointing chaplains as well.

Chaplains are involved at all levels of their club offering pastoral and spiritual support to people of all faiths and people of no faith. This involves visiting the football club on a weekly basis and being available beyond that when times of crisis arise or individuals need ongoing support. On the playing side this may mean supporting a player with a long term injury or helping a young player cope with the disappointment of being released by the club. For all staff it may include listening to and caring for a member of staff who has recently been bereaved, supporting individuals through a redundancy process or scattering the ashes of a fan at the stadium.

As well as the pastoral nature of a chaplain's role the spiritual aspect is being embraced by football more and more. Particularly on the playing side managers and coaches are seeing that this dimension is important for players and the chaplain is able to help in this, whatever the faith of the player.

"Chaplains can be of help to all sorts of people involved with sport, when crisis, need, or difficulty comes. I commend the idea of sports chaplaincy and the work of Sports Chaplaincy UK to you." Sir Alex Ferguson, CBE, Manager, Manchester United.

Aylesbury United Club Chaplain & Welfare Officer, Martyn Shaw, is a qualified Counsellor and Clinical Supervisor, a qualified, ordained Christian Minister, and a qualified FA Coach. He is the fourth generation of his family to be involved with Aylesbury United, a member of Sports Chaplaincy UK & the Association of Christian Counsellors.

Martyn Shaw

For further details, contact:

Rev Martyn Shaw
01296 397856 - 07763 476140


Ducks Go Through in Dramatic Game

Tuesday 09 October 2012 - 08:37 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Aylesbury advanced to the quarter finals of the Berks & Bucks Trophy by winning a 9-goal thriller 6-3 at Sandhurst Town.

A match of talking points aplenty saw the Ducks lead after just 4 minutes when Ben Hammond smashed home a top corner shot.

The lead was doubled through Louis Austin's first goal for the club with half time approaching and it looked like being a comfortable night for the Ducks.

But some complacency set in and casual defending allowed the hosts to net twice in quick succession to draw level before the interval.

After the break Sandhurst edged in front on 58 minutes, but their lead only lasted 2 minutes as Hammond scored again - this time from the penalty spot - to make it 3-3.

United's depleted squad had struggled with several players carrying niggly injuries, but they dug deep to find an eventual winner.

Bircham delivered a peach of a free-kick and Mulholland rose to guide the ball home.

There was still time for two stoppage time goals to give the scoreline a more flattering look - as Austin ran riot late on, Ben Baines and Austin the men on the scoresheet.

A seventh straight win for Aylesbury then, and manager Tony Joyce will be thankful that his walking wounded have the extra day to recover with United's next match on Sunday in the FA Vase.

Full match report now available.


Premier Division Review - 6th October 2012

Saturday 06 October 2012 - 9:54 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

The Premier Division top three remained unchanged following this afternoon’s matches, with Dunstable Town, Aylesbury United and Oxhey Jets all victorious.

Goals from Newman Carney, Tony Burnett and Lee Roache gave Dunstable a 3-0 home win over Harefield United to keep their unbeaten record going, Aylesbury beat Biggleswade United 3-1, whilst Oxhey Jets won 2-1 at London Colney.

4th placed Ampthill Town came unstuck as they lost 2-1 at home to Berkhamsted. Connor Calcutt and Josh Chamberlain putting the Comrades in command, before Shaun Cooksey pulled one back late on for the hosts.

AFC Dunstable won their sixth league match in a row with a 3-0 win at Colney Heath’s Recreation Ground. Lee Burgoyne and top scorer BJ Christie had the OD’s 2-0 up with 17 minutes gone, before Hayden Wills added another after the break.

After an indifferent start to the season, Haringey Borough have put together a decent run of league form and moved up to 6th with a 2-0 home win over lowly Holmer Green. Roland Namquita and Darrell Cox goals in the second half ensured Holmer still have just the four points this season.

September ended with a big defeat for Tring Athletic, but they have started October in free-scoring form and built on their midweek 6-1 win over Hertford Town with a 5-1 win over basement side London Tigers today.

Rejuvenated striker Vinnie Iannone netted a hat-trick, whilst his strike partner Stewart King hit a brace – with both scoring one from the penalty spot. Tigers’ ‘consolation’ came from Emmanuel Njodzeka.

Sneaking up the table are St. Margaretsbury who grabbed a fourth straight league win (six in all competitions) at out of form Hertford Town. It was a dramatic match which saw Hertford go ahead through an own goal, only for Anthony Anstead to level just a minute later. He went on to score all three of his sides goals, with the eventual winners coming two and five minutes into stoppage time!

After winning in the Premier Division Cup in midweek, Stotfold finally put an end to a six-match winless run in the league as they won 3-2 at fellow bottom half side Hatfield Town.

Stotfold took the through Nyasha Sagwete midway through the first half, only for Hatfield to come back and take the lead in the second with goals from Matt Hodges (penalty) and Dean Barker with his first since signing from Cockfosters before the visitors came back again to win as Lewis Holmes and Sean Herr scored within four minutes of each other.

Hillingdon Borough staged a fightback to draw 2-2 at home to Leverstock Green, where Tobi Akin’s brace had given the visitors a two-goal lead, before Borough’s Jimmy Froud and Jonathan Constant salvaged a point.

Finally, also sharing a point each, were Hadley and Hanwell Town with both goals coming in the opening 19 minutes. Ricky Pither opened the scoring for Hanwell after just four minutes, before Terry Smith put through his own net to give Hadley the equaliser.


Ducks See Off Biggleswade

Saturday 06 October 2012 - 5:00 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Four comments |

First goals of the season from Ben Baines and Zac Reynolds, either side of another from Ben Butler, gave Aylesbury a 3-1 win over Biggleswade United and a sixth straight victory.

The Ducks were well below their best but lead 2-0 at the end of an uninspiring first half.

Baines headed the first after 36 minutes from Bircham's free-kick, before Ben Butler made it two a minute from the break when he headed home Acheampong's cross.

Aylesbury then conceded immediately after the restart to make life customarily difficult for themselves when Josh Dance's low shot cannoned in off John Mulholland.

The game was finally made safe when Reynolds netted after a fine passing move, sweeping home Field's low cross having continued his run into the box.

United could have added to their scoring as visiting keeper Waters finished the match busily, rounding off a very satisfactory afternoon for the Ducks.

Full match report from the game now available.


Another Ducks Field Day

Tuesday 02 October 2012 - 08:24 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Four comments |

Stacey Field scored his second hat-trick in three days as Aylesbury saw off a dogged Berkhamsted team 3-2 in the Challenge Trophy.

United made hard work of their win though, having twice lead the tie only to allow their hosts back into the match with equalisers soon afterwards.

Field's opener arrived with 90 seconds played when he latched onto a spilled ball by Carl Tasker to fire home.

The lead only lasted until the 15 minute mark when Jordan Frederick curled home a great strike, and Berkhamsted went on to be the better side but it remained level at the break.

After the interval Field quickly re-established the advantage from the penalty spot after Austin was fouled, but again the Comrades levelled soon afterwards as a corner kick was turned in for an own goal.

Aylesbury - and Field - weren't to be denied though and he claimed the matchball for the third time this season when stooping to head home Lee Bircham's superb cross from the left.

As was to be expected, United had to see out a large amount of pressure in the closing stages but defended excellently to advance to the last 32 and a match with Oxhey Jets.

Full match report is now available.