The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News

Third Update from Lee Bircham

Wednesday 30 January 2013 - 1:22 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

A third update from injured defender Lee Bircham:

"After the operation on the Thursday morning they finally let me out of the hospital on the Sunday afternoon, once they were confident enough with me using the crutches. It felt good to be out and get home.

My dad and youngest brother Jack had found the bottom bed of a bunk bed somewhere and set it up downstairs for me to sleep and rest and to save me lugging myself upstairs etc. Also so I didn't feel 'out of it all' being stuck in the bedroom.

The kids loved me being back and it was a massive challenge to stop them jumping on me and wrestling (like I always do with them) and instead being very careful on my bad leg!

The first week back home recovering was really bad. Firstly it was my body getting used to coming off of all the hospital painkillers and morphine. When the painkillers wore off the pain was unbearable, so I had to take the hospital issued painkillers which then sent me to sleep within half hour or so, I was constantly half 'dopey' (no change my team mates some would say!). This was a killer because I could never stay awake for a film or anything and would have to watch it in about 3 – 4 installments. Obviously getting to sleep at night was tough because any movement was a killer and instantly woke me up.

All in all during this week I had become very 'fluey' but the hospital said this was to be expected as the body is dealing with all sorts of issues and getting used to having a bit of metal in it, which then left me open to all other sorts of sniffles etc. I suppose thinking about it, after the break laying down flat out on a freezing cold pitch for 30 minutes waiting for an ambulance didn't help!

Later on in Week 2 at home and I started feeling better. I was able to get up and about more with the crutches but due to the snow and ice outside I couldn't leave the house! Proper cabin fever. My daughter Lilly who's 6 is not too bad with it all, although my youngest child Alfie who's 2 made sure I was certainly never bored at home! He's loved me being at home and tells everyone 'like daddy's bad leg'. My wife Nicola has been superb and considering she's 6 months or so pregnant now she has never once said to me 'that's it, you are giving up football now!'. I'm half hoping she now notices how much I actually helped her out around the house now (no chance!!!!!).

Last Friday I had to go back to hospital so the doctors could remove the metal staples (they very rarely now do stitches I've been told) and to do some more x rays. All in all the after service information from the hospital and doctors has been shocking, they don't really talk you through the next steps etc. I had to constantly ask and it seems like they just want you out and send the next patient in. They pretty much just leave you to get on with it. I've got to go back in a month for the next check up. The x rays (below) shocked me to how bad the actual break was. It's amazing how mobile I actually am considering it really!

Luckily, I have plenty of good contacts within the game (especially with my brother Marc still involved and managing QPR reserve team). The offer of support and help has been brilliant and within 24 hours I'd been offered full recovery treatment from the likes of Bobby Bacic the Millwall physio, Steve Galloway (QPR physio) and Clarke Carlisle (Chairman of the PFA) offered to help with getting my treatment at Lilleshall or St Georges! Quite flattering for an old non league full back who simply just clips a half decent channel ball (only occasionally though Joycey would say)!

Lots of players and ex-players have called me who have had similar injuries and other long term injuries and offered their different advice plus I've had text correspondence from the likes of Djbril Cisse and ex QPR (and Aylesbury!) goalkeeper Chris Day who have both had the same operation and break as myself.

The current lads and management at Aylesbury Utd have been fantastic. Quite a few of the lads came to see me in hospital one night. Joycey came the next day and it was great seeing them all (yes even the Gaffer!!!). Joycey is top class and just looking at him makes me laugh (probably cos he's got a rubbery bulldog face). Jocey even joked that I was his 1st signing for next season already!

I Would like to thank everyone at Aylesbury for their help and concern but special mention to our Assistant Manager Glynn Creaser and Chairman Graham Reid who were there with me the whole time calming me down when I initially broke my leg and I will always be thankful for that.

Seems funny that since that night I haven't missed one minute of football yet because of the weather! We were due to have a game tomorrow night at London Colney and the games will be coming thick and fast after that, this is when I know I am gonna be feeling it bad. As the gaffer would tell you, I love my football and I am a nightmare if he subs me or even 'rests' me for a game let alone missing the rest of the season. DREADING IT!

With Marc being at QPR I went in to see the QPR physio on Saturday and he seemed very pleased with the progress I was making considering it wasn't even three weeks since I had broken it. He gave me a few exercises to do using the crutches putting weight on the bad leg whilst simulating walking. Then he started massaging the calf trying to loosen it up. The fluid in the calf is so extreme that you could hear it 'crunching and popping' as he was doing it! I’ve got to go back weekly to see him and hopefully he wants to get me swimming as soon as he can. All the doctors & physios are very keen for me to get weight back on the bad leg as much as the pain will let me, so I can build the muscle back up in my calf etc. Obviously this exercising has brought on new muscle pains and cramps of a night but considering the pain I have been in, this is nothing.

All in all, I am feeling so much better now and so much more mobile. Using the crutches and hopping about does make things so difficult at times but I just keep setting myself different goals and challenges each day. I know its a slow process but I'm really determined to get back on my own feet as soon as possible, not as much as the wife is though considering I am a self employed electrician and been told I can’t work for three months!

I can't wait to play a game again for Aylesbury and already missing it!

Thanks to everyone again


X ray showing the break before operation

X ray showing the break before operation

X ray showing metal rod and the break

X ray showing metal rod and the break

X ray showing metal rod and the screw

X ray showing metal rod and the screw

Manager Tony Joyce signs Lee up for next season!

Manager Joyce signs Lee up for next season!


London Colney Match Postponed

Tuesday 29 January 2013 - 3:04 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Tonight's match at London Colney has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

It becomes the fifth straight Aylesbury fixture that has been lost to the weather.

The match will now be rescheduled for a date to be advised.


London Colney Pitch Inspection

Tuesday 29 January 2013 - 09:54 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

An afternoon pitch inspection will take place before tonight's scheduled game at London Colney.

The result should be known by 4pm.


Two Games Rescheduled

Monday 28 January 2013 - 6:27 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

After the recent weather-enforced postponements, two Aylesbury United matches have been rescheduled.

The Ducks will be away at Stotfold on Tuesday 12th February, whilst Hertford Town will visit Bell Close on Wednesday 27th February.

Both matches kick-off at 7.45pm.


Haringey Match Postponed

Friday 25 January 2013 - 11:29 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Due to the pitch still being covered in snow, and with the threat of further bad weather, Saturday's match with Haringey Borough has been postponed.

Aylesbury United Are Off To Wembley!

Thursday 24 January 2013 - 5:22 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Three comments |

Aylesbury United FC are delighted to announce the first of their Football Specials: A behind the scenes tour of the New Wembley Stadium.

The tour will run on Saturday 2nd March and will also take in the afternoon SSMFL top of the table clash between Aylesbury United and AFC Dunstable at Bell Close, Leighton Buzzard.

The tour of Wembley will include:

- Behind the scenes look in the England dressing room
- Experience the tension in the players tunnel
-Take photographs from the best seats in the stadium
- Take the manager's seat in the exclusive press room
- Go on the route of champions, climbing the 107 steps to the royal box
Photo opportunities in the royal box with a replica of the FA Cup

In the afternoon we will be going on to Bell Close to watch Aylesbury United v AFC Dunstable. Tony Joyce's men are enjoying a great season, currently sitting third in the Premier Division, but will come up against a very good AFC Dunstable who are just two places behind them. With the teams featuring in a 2-2 draw last time, it's bound to be a close match.

The timetable for the day is as follows:

9:35am - Leave Aylesbury
11:30am - Wembley tour
1pm - Leave Wembley
2.15pm - Arrive at Bell Close
5.15pm - Leave Bell Close
5.45pm - Arrive Aylesbury

The cost of the day is £32 for adults and £21 for children. This includes transport for the day, ticket for the tour to Wembley and entry to the afternoon match. Discount cards are not accepted for this trip.

If you would like to reserve a place on this trip please contact Chris Penny on 07545 093308 or email and leave your name and a contact number. Places are limited and allocated on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately we cannot accept bookings after Wednesday 6th February due to Wembley's ticket policy.


Hertford Match Postponed

Monday 21 January 2013 - 4:49 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

With the Bell Close pitch currently under five inches of snow, Wednesday's match with Hertford Town has been postponed.

A new date for the match will be advised in the near future.

Aylesbury are next scheduled to be in action this Saturday, at home to Haringey Borough, but with no easing in the current weather conditions on the horizon that game looks in doubt already.


Stotfold Match OFF

Friday 18 January 2013 - 2:29 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Due to the snow, tomorrow's scheduled match at Stotfold has been postponed.

A new date for the fixture will be advised in due course.


Hadley Match Postponed

Wednesday 16 January 2013 - 12:41 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Tonight's scheduled match against Hadley has been postponed due to the frozen pitch.

The fixture will now be rearranged for a date to be advised.


Lunchtime Pitch Inspection for Hadley Game

Wednesday 16 January 2013 - 09:51 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Following the recent snowy conditions and freezing temperatures, a lunchtime pitch inspection will be held at Bell Close ahead of tonight's game with Hadley.

The results will be posted here and on Twitter (@aylesburyutdfc) as soon as they are known.


Ducks Clinch Wood Signing

Monday 14 January 2013 - 5:18 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

Aylesbury United have completed the signing of Shane Wood, brother of club captain Jack.

Wood senior has made 22 appearances for Dunstable Town this season, having rejoined for a third spell last season from Tring Athletic.

Welcome to the club Shane!


Premier Division Review - 12th January 2013

Saturday 12 January 2013 - 12:12 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Five comments |

With only seven matches played, there were some interesting developments in the Spartan South Midlands League following Saturday’s results.

Surprise of the day took place at Watchet Lane where 21st placed Holmer Green beat 4th placed St. Margaretsbury 3-0. New signing Rashid Obbadi netted after 26 minutes along with two goals from top-scorer Dean Allen giving the home side a much needed three points.

With fellow strugglers and basement side London Tigers also victorious – 3-2 at Colney Heath – just one point still separates the two, but the bottom five are now split by just three points as the relegation battle heats up.

It was a good day also for Hillingdon Borough and Biggleswade United who both find themselves towards the wrong end of the table.

Hillingdon beat Stotfold 5-3 helped by a brace from Jonathan Constant, recently returned to the club after short stints in the Southern League with Aylesbury FC and Hitchin Town.

Meanwhile, Biggleswade heaped the misery onto Tring Athletic with a second home defeat – United winning 1-0 courtesy of Robbie Freeman’s first half winner.

Back at the top of the table, Lewis Putman scored five times as Oxhey Jets cruised past Hertford Town 7-1. It was the second time in a month the free-scoring Jets have put seven past Town, and the fourth time of scoring seven or more this season!

AFC Dunstable were unable to build on their midweek 6-2 win at Tring Athletic as they fell to a 1-0 home loss to Harefield United, the winner arriving after 35 minutes through Daniel Fox.

Finally, a hat-trick from Billy Healey gave Hanwell Town a 4-0 win at Leverstock Green, with Ricky Pither also on target for the visitors.

Links: SSML Results | League Table | Top Scorers


Shrivenham Result Stands

Friday 11 January 2013 - 4:41 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Following Wednesday's dramatic events at Bell Close, the Berks & Bucks FA have ruled that the match will not be replayed.

With the scoreline at 4-0 in Aylesbury's favour, the match was postponed following serious injury.

Shrivenham FC honourably requested that the result be allowed to stand and, following a meeting by the Emergency Cup Committee, the request has been granted.

Aylesbury United will therefore advance to the semi-finals.

A brief match report of the action can be found here:


Second Update from Lee Bircham

Friday 11 January 2013 - 1:51 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Lee Bircham has sent as a second update having seen the surgeon after his serious injury:

"I've just seen the surgeon. He seemed quite happy with it – more happy than me anyway!

Verdict was it was a clean break. They have put a metal rod in now through the tibia bone via the knee and then screwed this all into place. A bionic bone so I'm gonna cause murder going through customs now!!

He did tell me that the pain is gonna get worse before it gets better (great!!) and the swelling will also get worse before it gets better.

Been told the Physio is due up this afternoon to get me using crutches properly and avoiding weight on my right side. The words used were "make sure you give the morphine a good go before we try it&qupt;. BLIMEY!

I might possibly be out tomorrow fingers crossed. Just feel really guilty as my wife Nicola is 5 months pregnant at the moment and what with my daughter Lilly who's 6 and my boy Alfie who's 2, I bet she could really do without another "kid" to look after. She of course hasn't said this but still makes me feel bad.

The doctor said I will be unable to work (I'm a self employed electrician) for 3 months which is a headache but not the end of the world (might even get to play Championship manager which I haven't played for about 15 years!) and then back training and playing within 6 months which really pleased me.

Obviously now gotta convince the gaffer Joycey that I'm worth another "look at" in pre season what with my bionic leg an all!

I would just like to give my Dad a special mention as he was there watching and it must have been very traumatic for him to see his son in pain like that and feel totally helpless. I don't like giving him any credit (as according to him I haven't had 1 good game in 25 odd years) but he was immense for me that night in hospital when it was a total shambles!

Thanks again to everyone.

Lots of love



Update From Lee Bircham

Thursday 10 January 2013 - 6:44 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Ducks defender Lee Bircham has sent us an update following his serious injury last night:

"Having just got out of recovery I thought I'd write an update for everybody.

Of course being Luton & Dunstable hospital I am very much lacking in too much info on what they actually done (but at least I've looked down and see that haven't chopped off the right leg, so that's promising!)

Very traumatic night really.

Can't believe how long I was on the ground for last night before the ambulance got there, must have not been too shy of half an hour with no pain killers! Very very painful and I was struggling at times to act the big tough man!

Finally after a few morphine stops we arrived about 10.15ish. It then took a good 3 hours to be seen!

X ray showed what I knew (as I saw my leg with my own eyes last night) that it was a double break. From the faces the staff were pulling I knew it was bad!

Then with gas and air they put it in a temporary plaster cast till they were ready to operate this morning.

Of course a really painful night "resting of eyes" followed!

They operated at about 10-10.30am. It was a 6 hour op, which has involved putting in a rod through the knee etc and supporting the double break from there. I was in resting room for a couple of hours as they were concerned with the pain I was in even though I was still away with the fairies.

Back in the ward now. Not sure how long I am in for but I would imagine it will be another day or 2 minimum.

I staying positive as I always do and just keeping my fingers crossed.

Even had a message from Djibril Cisse!

Massive thank you to everyone. I'm really humbled by it to be honest and its given me a couple of "lump in the throat" moments.



Lee Bircham

Thursday 10 January 2013 - 07:19 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Unfortunately the news on Lee Bircham's injury sustained during last night's game is not good.

Lee suffered a double leg break to the tibula and fibula, and will have an operation to repair his leg today.

We wish him well and a speedy recovery.


Shrivenham Match Abandoned

Wednesday 09 January 2013 - 9:35 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Aylesbury's Berks & Bucks Trophy Quarter Final with Shrivenham this evening was abandoned after 63 minutes.

In what was a dramatic evening at Bell Close, the Ducks had stormed to a 4-0 first half lead with goals from Field, Hatch, Reynolds and Wood.

The game had started in foggy conditions which never truly lifted and were causing difficulties from the outset.

If that wasn't enough, Lee Bircham was then taken out by a clattering challenge, suffering a suspected break to his standing leg.

After 10 minutes of stoppage the referee sensibly decided it was time to halt proceedings, and both clubs must now wait to learn the outcome.

Our best wishes for a speedy recovery are with Lee Bircham for a nasty looking injury.


Community Sponsorship

Monday 07 January 2013 - 09:08 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Our newly founded Football In The Community scheme are looking for sponsors to enable us the become the centre of footballing excellence within the Aylesbury Vale area.

In return we offer free advertising on the AUFC Community pages on a website seen by over 35,000 people every month, as well as a host of other benefits.

There are four sponsorship opportunities available:

Community Scheme Main Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Representative Match Sponsor
Loyalty Card Partner

For the full details of all the available benefits, please visit the newly created Football in the Community Sponsorship page.


The Match on 24th November

Monday 07 January 2013 - 08:25 am | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

The match on 24th November 2012 was in memory of Thomas Henry Birch, and was sponsored by family and friends.

Together with a collection at the game £600.92 was raised for Cancer Research.

Special thanks to A.U.F.C. directors, management, staff and players, also the Victoria Club and the Railway Club. Thanks also to Leighton Town Football Club for allowing us to collect at their ground.

Tom’s family would like to send their thanks to all who contributed to this worthy cause.

Members of Compost Corner,

Moff, Tom, Jacko, Dave, Pete and Andy


Premier Division Review - 5th January 2013

Sunday 06 January 2013 - 10:41 am | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | Two comments |

Whilst 2nd placed Aylesbury United were held to a 0-0 draw by Leverstock Green, league leaders Dunstable Town, 3rd placed St. Margaretsbury and 4th placed Oxhey Jets all racked up convincing wins in the weekend’s Spartan South Midlands Football League matches.

One positive for Aylesbury was the excellent crowd of 146, which bettered all Spartan League and all but two of the Southern League Division One Central attendances.

Five different scorers helped Dunstable Town rout Hillingdon Borough 5-0, with new signings from Hitchin Town Marc Leach and Tony Fontenelle joining Tony Burnett, Nathan Frater and Newman Carney (penalty) in finding the target.

St. Margaretsbury travelled to basement side London Tigers and came back with their 10th league victory in a row and the day’s biggest win of 6-1.

Terence Cariba had scored for Tigers just before the break to make it 1-2, but four second half strikes by the in form Mags, including top scorer Anthony Anstead rounding off a hat-trick, completed an impressive win.

Oxhey Jets also recorded a good result with a 4-0 win at Berkhamsted, with the deadly Lewis Putman and defender Steve Brown hitting braces – both scoring in either half.

Slightly further down the table London Colney and Ampthill Town both failed to capitalise on AFC Dunstable’s postponed match at Haringey Borough as neither were able to find wins – Colney held to a 0-0 draw at Hadley.

Ampthill meanwhile went ahead at Hatfield Town through new signing Dom Lawless’s second goal in two games since joining from Newport Pagnell Town, but eventually slumped to a 3-1 defeat to the Blue Boys whose scorers were Kingsley Elenya, Matt Hodges and Jason Kayila.

Hanwell Town moved up to 9th with a third straight win by thrashing Biggleswade United 4-0 at home, thanks to a brace from Billy Healey in the minutes either side of half time, and one goal each from Charley Baverstock and Ricky Pither.

Also gaining ground in the league are Tring Athletic, who recovered from their 4-0 home defeat by Aylesbury to beat Colney Heath 2-0, goals coming from Jack Sunderland and Tony Fields – and jump to 11th in the table.

Harefield United raced into an early lead against Holmer Green, with two goals in the first eleven minutes from Mark Sargent and Daniel Fleming putting them 2-0. Sargent added another to make it 3-0 before the break, and although Eliot Derby pulled one back for Holmer in the second half, the Hares weren’t to be denied their win.

Finally, a good crowd of 116 saw Stotfold and Hertford Town battle out a 1-1 draw. New signing Mason Todd scored a debut goal to give Hertford the lead, but Stotfold’s Kim Forsyth levelled just before the hour mark as the side’s shared the spoils.


Ducks Held by Determined Levy

Saturday 05 January 2013 - 6:19 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | One comment |

Aylesbury were held to a frustrating goalless draw in a game which saw the Ducks do everything but score.

The Ducks created a hat full of chances and could have been out of sight by half time but for some rusty finishing and good saves by visiting keeper.

Austin, Field, Reynolds and Hatch, to name but four, all went close on various occasions and although United weren't so dominant after the break still had enough opportunities to win the game.

With Aylesbury throwing everything forward the match continued to be an entertaining spectacle, and Levy contributed with chances of their own late on but the visitors' finishing was as unproductive as Aylesbury's and it finished without a goal.

With all the teams around them winning result means the Ducks lose ground at the top of the league table.

Full match report is now available.


Rescheduled Games

Wednesday 02 January 2013 - 4:29 pm | Added by: Admin to First Team, Club News | No comments |

The two recently postponed games, against London Colney and Berkhamsted, have now been rescheduled by the league.

The Ducks will travel to London Colney's Cotlandswick ground on Tuesday 29th January.

Meanwhile, Berkhamsted will now visit Bell Close on Wednesday 20th February.