The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News Story

Premier Division Roundup - 7th April 2012

Saturday 07 April 2012 - 9:05 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

Royston Town took another step towards the title this afternoon as their gap was extended to five points at the top of the table due to Dunstable Town faltering at Hadley.

The Crows saw off relegation threatened Hanwell Town 2-1 with the help of first half goals from Carl Edwards and Luke Robins, whereas their nearest challengers Dunstable could only manage a goalless draw in their game.

Hanwell, along with Hatfield Town - defeated 4-2 at Hertford Town – are now both 3 points adrift in the relegation zone as Holmer Green took a big step towards safety by coming from behind to win 2-1 at Broxbourne Borough.

Dan Broom gave Borough the lead in the first minute of the second half, but goals from Gareth Williams and Gary Pape gave the away side a precious win.

Hertford’s win over Hatfield was a dramatic affair, Dave Hunt giving the home side a two-goal advantage, before Hatfield drew level gain through Ashley Dray and Terry Caswell either side of the break.

Billy Healy and Hunt completing his hat-trick twelve minutes from time secured the win to ensure Hertford’s Premier Division status remains intact for another season.

Also safe from the drop are Biggleswade United, whose Ade Yusuff netted a hat-trick (two penalties) in a 4-2 home win over Oxhey Jets. Chris Butler was the other scorer for United, whilst Alexis Bernal and Lewis Putnam netted for Jets.

Harefield United dropped a place to 19th due to their 1-2 home defeat to London Tigers. Khalid Hassan gave Tigers the lead, before Charlie Crane levelled on the stroke of half time for the Hares, but Artiomas Barinovas netted the winner half an hour from the end.

Back at the other end of the table, after two defeats third placed AFC Dunstable were back to winning ways by beating Colney Heath courtesy of Gareth Harnaman’s 40th minute strike.

Aylesbury’s defeat meant Tring Athletic were able to close the gap to 5th place back to just 3 points. They beat Stotfold 1-0 at home with Connor Waite’s 46th minute goal proving decisive.

Leverstock Green – who announced that manager Steve Heath will be leaving at the end of the season – appear to be in freefall and now occupy 10th in the league after their latest defeat, losing 3-1 at near neighbours Berkhamsted.

Matt Wardle put Berko ahead, only for recent signing James Bent to equalise just three minutes later. In the second half a Frankie Jowle penalty and another from Wardle four minutes later gave the Comrades the win.

Finally, in the mid table, Hillingdon Borough moved up to 12th with a 1-0 win at St. Margaretsbury, where Adem Salih’s 18th minute own goal was the solitary effort.


One comment

One or more comments are waiting for approval by an editor.