The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News Story

Premier Division Roundup - 21st April 2012

Saturday 21 April 2012 - 9:36 pm | Added by: Admin to Club News, First Team | One comment |

With the league championship and relegation issues (realistically, if not mathematically) decided the previous week, there was only pride to play for in the Molten Spartan South Midlands Premier Division this weekend.

Champions Royston Town went down to a 3-0 defeat at Aylesbury United, where Stacey Field scored another two goals in the first half, to take his total tally to 29 in the league this season, with Melford Simpson also on target.

Second placed team Dunstable Town were 6-3 winners at now relegated Hanwell Town. Craig Henney, Dean Brennan, Peter Holmes and Nathan Frater (2) put Dunstable 5-0 up before the hour mark, before Keith Rowlands pulled a goal back for Hanwell from the spot. Former Aylesbury winger Nick Jackson scored again for Dunstable, but further late goals from Rowlands and Liam Coles in stoppage time reduced the deficit again.

The other relegated team, Hatfield Town, had further misery heaped on them by St. Margaretsbury – as they lost 6-0 at their ‘home’ for the day at Colney Heath, where Anthony Anstead, Dave Edmee, Ricky Lght, Leigh Rose (2) and Stevie Tutalamo all found the net.

AFC Dunstable won a rollercoaster home match against Hadley 3-2. Ben Luck put the visitors ahead on the half hour mark, before goals from Gareth Harnaman and Richard Harker swung the game within ten minutes of the second half starting. Ivan Machado levelled the match, but Dunstable’s Hayden Wills struck with ten minutes remaining to secure the points.

The battle for fourth spot between Haringey and Aylesbury, and fifth between Aylesbury and Tring is still yet to be determined, as Tring won 4-1 at Haringey Borough courtesy of four second half goals from Tony Fields – two of which came from the penalty spot. Lloyd Opara had given Borough the lead on the half hour mark, also from the spot.

Aylesbury’s next opponents – London Tigers – shared the spoils with Colney Heath in a 3-3 draw. Colney were 2-0 up through two Kevin Ashwood goals, but second half efforts from Terence Cariba, Wadah Ahmidi, and Khalid Hassan saw the Tigers mount an impressive comeback, only to be denied by Jamie Eames’ 90th minute leveller.

Biggest home win of the day went to Hillingdon Borough, who made it three in a row with a 5-0 thrashing of Broxbourne Borough. Daniel Mehmet and Chris Baah both scored braces, with Adam Bunce also on target.

Stotfold also fired five, as they won 5-1 at Hertford Town. Lewis Holmes gave Stotfold the lead inside a minute, before Kojo Appenteng equalised almost immediately. Holmes went onto complete a first half hat-trick, along with a Josh Cook penalty and a Sean Herr goal after the break completing the rout.

Steve Heath, taking charge of Leverstock Green at Pancake Lane for the final time, grabbed a narrow 1-0 win over Harefield United with top scorer Lewis Pritchard scoring a 68th minute winner.

Berkhamsted won 3-1 at home to Biggleswade United, helped by two Josh Chamberlain goals, and, finally, Oxhey Jets beat Holmer Green 1-0 thanks to Ben Poulton’s goal in the 70th minute.


One comment

One or more comments are waiting for approval by an editor.