The Evo-Stik League South

Aylesbury United News Story

Calor League/FA Cup Roundup

Saturday 12 October 2013 - 7:48 pm | Added by: Admin to Calor League, Club News | One comment |

With a number of sides still involved in FA Cup action, just the eight Calor League Division One Central matches were played today.

Daventry Town are one of the sides with cup commitments, albeit on Sunday, and second placed Dunstable Town took advantage by narrowing the gap to just one point by winning 2-1 at Egham Town, where Tony Burnett and Damen Pickering gave the Blues a 2-0 lead only for Egham to a stoppage time 'consolation'.

Third placed Barton Rovers were held to a 1-1 draw at Marlow, for whom Jon Bennett's dream start to his Marlow career continues with a 7th goal in 3 games since joining! He gave the hosts the lead on 64 minutes, but Tommy Hull cancelled it out just four minutes later to ensure honours even.

Down at the bottom, Chertsey Town's first league win of the season moved them off the foot of the table, as they won by the odd goal in seven at home to Aylesbury FC, in a match that Chertsey lead from the 10th minute and were twice two-goals ahead of their opponents.

Fellow strugglers Chalfont St. Peter also got their first home league win, as they beat local rivals Beaconsfield SYCOB 2-1. Scott Fitzgerald and an own goal put Saints 2-0 up in 30 minutes, and even though Brian Haule scored his third goal in third games, SYCOB were unable to prevent defeat.

Leighton Town now occupy 22nd spot after going down to a 1-0 defeat at home to their groundsharing tenants Aylesbury United, Jason Blackett's goal after 26 minutes proving decisive.

AFC Hayes announced a number of new signings this week, and they helped the Farm Park side to a 2-1 win over Kettering Town with Lawrie Shennan scoring twice before the break, before Kettering's own new signing, Scott Cross, scored after the break.

Mark Burgess's Northwood were able to build on their 8-3 win over Chertsey Town with a 3-0 win at Ashford Town (Mx), who are on a miserable run of form. George Nicholas, Oliver Sprague and Joakim Ehui scored the goals.

Lastly, St Ives Town beat Potters Bar Town 2-1 to move up to 6th in the table.

In the FA Cup, North Greenford United lost out to a stoppage time penalty giving Canvey Island a 2-1 win, but Rugby Town remain in the competition as they held Worcester City to a 0-0 draw.

Daventry Town take on Grays Athletic on Sunday.


One comment

One or more comments are waiting for approval by an editor.