Aylesbury United News Story

Ducks Win As Tring Pay For Missed Penalties

Saturday 17 July 2021 - 8:34 pm | Added by: Ian Pluck to Club, First Team | |

First Half


  1.       Archie Davis

            Jamie Jellis

  2.       Anthony Ball

            Ben Hodges

  3.       Jake Bewley

            Kuda Sangoya

  4.       Liam McCrohan


  5.       Ollie Hogg


  6.       Pierce McNamara


  7.       Max Hercules


  8.       Ben Seaton


  9.       Aaron Berry


10.       Sonny French ©


11.       Lee Stobbs


On the hottest day of the year so far, it was a depleted squad that travelled to take on Tring Athletic.  With a number of players unavailable, Ben Williams chose to line up with Anthony Ball, Liam McCrohan and Jake Bewley as centre backs in a 3-5-2 formation.  The home side were first to threaten, with a corner from the right met by Kieran Turner, but his header clattered against the far post before rebounding away from danger.  On 15 minutes, McCrohan was unlucky to concede a penalty for a foul on Ollie Butler.  Evans Lamboh stepped up, but blasted his spot kick high and onto the bar.  Three minutes later, a cross field pass from Ball set Aaron Berry free on goal, but his shot was wide of the far post.  The Ducks took the lead on 21 minutes; Archie Davis threw the ball out quickly to Max Hercules, who moved the ball on to Ball overlapping on the right.  Another pinpoint diagonal found Lee Stobbs who cut inside his defender and placed a shot across keeper Jonny Pitts to open the scoring. 

The second half started with Tring pressing.  A poorly conceded corner led to their equaliser, with Butler flicking the ball goalwards and Turner in the right place to get the final touch.  Jamie Jellis, playing in a central role was beginning to dictate the play much more effectively as the half developed.  Straight after the restart, he picked the ball up on the right and crossed to Hercules in the 6 yard box, however the winger’s attempt went across goal and out for a goal kick.  On the hour, Tring were awarded a second penalty, as McCrohan was adjudged to have handled a cross; Turner stepped up and placed the ball to Davis’ left, but the keeper got down well to parry the ball out for a corner.  With 20 minutes remaining the Ducks were in front again.  Jellis found Ben Seaton on the right flank and he pulled the ball back to Sonny French, who buried a shot from 15 yards.  Four minutes later and the Ducks scored a third, with Jellis again prominent.  His pass to Stobbs on the right saw the striker drive to the bye line and pull the ball back to Hercules in the 6 yard box, who this time made no mistake, tapping home under pressure from a defender.  With three minutes remaining, the scoring was completed.  Jellis passed to Ben Hodges, whose pinpoint cross was met by Ben Seaton, rising highest in the penalty area to head home.

Although it was a hard work out with a smaller than ideal squad on such a hot day, the Ducks will take plenty of positives from the match, with players getting good minutes into their legs ahead of two key home friendlies in the coming week; first Academy 23 on Tuesday, before a Wycombe Wanderers XI visits on Friday evening.  Full details of both matches will be posted on the website and social media.