Aylesbury United News Story

Ducks demolish Dynamos 7-0 in pre-season El Quackico

Wednesday 28 July 2021 - 1:20 pm | Added by: Paul Snell to Club, First Team | | Used tags: , , ,

It may only have been a friendly, but it will be a game long-remembered by Ducks fans and players, as a rampant United tore apart their local rivals in this pre-season Quackico derby.

The Ducks lined up with three changes to the one that started the game against Wycombe Wanderers on Friday – Ty Deacon in place of Aaron Berry, Kuda Sangoya replacing Jake Bewley, and Ben Seaton in for Ollie Hogg.

Starting XI
1. James Weatherill
2. Anthony Ball
3. Kuda Sangoya
4. Jack Wood
5. Liam McCrohan
6. Mark Riddick
7. Max Hercules
8. Ben Seaton
9. Ty Deacon
10. Sonny French
11. Lee Stobbs

The match started with the Ducks probing down both flanks. With almost 10 minutes gone, a quick one-two down the right unleashed Anthony Ball who drove forward and hit a low cross across the six-yard-box, and Max Hercules was there to meet it on the half volley and put it past the Dynamos Dan McAteer goalkeeper.

1-0 Ducks (Hercules 9’)

Two minutes later a short corner between Hercules and Seaton led to a cross that was narrowly headed over by Liam McCrohan. Both sets of wingers, Ball and Stobbs on the right and Sangoya and Hercules on the left were starting to cause the Dynamos difficulties. The combined pressing of Deacon and Stobbs harried a defender into a mistake, but Deacon’s cross rolled through the six-yard box past everyone. Then it was Sangoya’s turn to cause trouble, beating his man into the box, but finding his cross blocked by a defender for a corner – which was this time narrowly headed over by Wood.

As good as the Ducks’ play had been, they were gifted a second goal from a Dynamos mistake. A defender played the ball back to his goalkeeper who was charged down by Ben Seaton. McAteer beat Seaton taking him away from goal, but under further pressure from Seaton proceeded to kick the ball weakly straight to Ty Deacon, who – rather sheepishly at the opportunity presented – rolled the ball into an empty net.

2-0 Ducks (Deacon 22’)

The wingers continued to cause trouble, Hercules firing a shot in from the edge of the area that McAteer caught. There was then a lengthy stoppage as the Dynamos’ Dave Brown was caught by a heavy challenge in midfield, which forced him off to be replaced by Will Salmon. From the free kick came the Dynamos’ best opportunity of the match. James Weatherill, who had made a couple of simple saves earlier in the game, came to claim the cross and dropped it having been barged. But the referee waved play on, and the Dynamos blazed it over the empty net.

Weatherill kick-started the move that led to the Ducks’ third. A goal kick released Hercules down the left, who drove inside, beat his man, and struck a left-footed shot past McAteer’s left to make it three.

3-0 Ducks (Hercules 31’)

Three minutes later, it was four. A lobbed pass over the defence by Sonny French unleashed Deacon who calmly but skilfully hit his left-foot shot to the goalkeeper’s right for his second of the game.

4-0 Ducks (Deacon 34’)

McAteer was then spared further embarrassment when a miskick went straight to McCrohan, whose first-time effort at goal went high and wide. There wasn’t too long to wait for the next goal though, as Sangoya battled to win back the ball – as he had done all game – he poked it through to Stobbs who took a powerful shot. McAteer got a hand to it, but it wasn’t enough and the Ducks had hit five in the first half.

5-0 Ducks (Stobbs 37’)

There was still time remaining in the first half for a couple more opportunities, such was the Ducks’ dominance. The best of which fell to Hercules. The ball was headed clear from a corner only to fall to him. He wound up his shot, seemingly in slow motion as the ball dropped from the sky, but his effort went narrowly wide.

HT: Ducks 5-0 Dynamos

Unsurprisingly with such a comfortable cushion, Ben Williams chose to make multiple changes at half-time, bringing on Jordan Jenkins, Aaron Berry, Pierce McNamara, Jamie Jellis, and Jamie Rudd, for his first pre-season appearance.

Second-half XI
1. James Weatherill
2. Anthony Ball
3. Kuda Sangoya
4. Jordan Jenkins
5. Liam McCrohan
6. Mark Riddick
7. Jamie Rudd
8. Ben Seaton
9. Aaron Berry
10. Pierce McNamara
11. Jamie Jellis

The Ducks started the second half much as they’d finished the first – with Jellis shooting over, Seaton shooting at the keeper, McNamara shooting wide, and then Jellis again just scuffing his shot under pressure from a defender when well-placed.

Then, the moment of the match. Rudd played Sangoya down the left, who cut it back to Jellis, who was chopped down but managed to get the ball to Rudd, who backheeled it to Sangoya near the touchline. He took one touch, and then curled a looping shot over McAteer into the top right hand corner of the net.

Ducks 6-0 (Sangoya 53’)

Williams then rang further changes, with Ball, Sangoya, Riddick and Seaton replaced by Harry Jones, Sonny French, and two trialists. The substitutions disrupted the Ducks’ flow somewhat – in that they failed to have another opportunity on goal for at least 10 minutes. When they did, Jellis was starting to find his range, stinging the goalkeeper’s hands with a shot that went out for a corner.

Five minutes later a header from Aaron Berry opened up the Dynamos’ defence, putting Jellis through, and he didn’t make any mistake one-on-one in curling his shot past the goalkeeper to make it seven.

Ducks 7-0 (Jellis 73’)

With such a lead, the Ducks perhaps unsurprisingly lost a bit of momentum for the remaining quarter of an hour or so, allowing the Dynamos a few ultimately harmless shots. But Weatherill did pull off a terrific save low to his left to preserve his clean sheet, having had almost nothing to do for 90 per cent of the match.

There was just time with a few minutes to go for Sonny French to get behind the defence, but a combination of the chasing defender and the goalkeeper's save did enough to prevent an eighth for the Ducks.

A crushing victory for the Ducks over their near neighbours, the biggest margin of victory in any game between the two sides.

There is one final pre-season game for the Ducks, away against Risborough Rangers on Saturday at 3pm, before the competitive season kicks off with the visit of Fairford Town to The Meadow in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round on 7 August.