Aylesbury United News Story

Pre-Season Completed With A Win At Rangers

Saturday 31 July 2021 - 8:32 pm | Added by: Ian Pluck to First Team, Club | |

First Half


  1.          James Weatherill

                Max Hercules

  2.          Kuda Sangoya

                Ben Hodges

  3.          Jake Bewley

                Harry Jones

  4.          Jack Wood ©


  5.          Dave O’Connor


  6.          Mark Riddick


  7.          Anthony Ball


  8.          Jamie Jellis


  9.          Ty Deacon


10.          Sonny French


11.          Pierce McNamara


The Ducks travelled to visit Risborough Rangers for their final pre-season friendly before the competitive action starts next weekend.  Again, unavailability of key members of the squad forced Ben Williams’ hand with his team selection, but it was a strong looking squad that lined up against what has become familiar pre-season opposition.   The Ducks started well, on the front foot and dominating the play.  In the 16th minute, good work by Jamie Jellis saw him beat the despairing lunge of home skipper Joel Read and slide the ball through to Sonny French.  His shot was lifted over home keeper Jack Brooker and was on its way into the net, but Josh Urquhart got back well to clear the danger.  Four minutes later the Ducks did open the scoring; French picked the ball up in midfield and switched the play to Pierce McNamara on the left.  The wide man cut inside his defender and fired a right foot shot from 20 yards into the bottom corner of the net to open his account for the Ducks.  Despite dominating play in the opening exchanges, the Ducks conceded six minutes later.  A deep corner from the right was headed back by Read into the 6 yard box, where Asher Yearwood got in front of Jack Wood to stab home from 5 yards out.

The second half started well for the Ducks.  Only three minutes had passed before the lead was retaken; a cross to the far post was collected by Jellis, who jinked inside and fired a shot on goal, to see it deflect past the unfortunate Brooker into the net.  On the hour the Ducks brought on Max Hercules and Harry Jones for Kuda Sangoya and McNamara.    Hercules was at the heart of the best chance of the second half soon after he entered the fray.  Ball threw the ball to O’Connor, who swept a first time pass wide to the winger; he left the full back for dead and crossed to Jellis, whose first time shot was well saved by Brooker.  Hercules was looking lively, making a number of electrifying runs down the left, leaving the defenders for dead and firing in dangerous crosses, which unfortunately were wasted as there was no one in position to convert.  On 70 minutes, Anthony Ball came off second best in a challenge with Davis Haule, which left the Ducks defender in a heap on the floor, the victim of what looked like an elbow to the head, although the officials didn’t see an offence.  Ball was replaced by Sangoya as a result.  With five minutes remaining, the result was secured.  Great interplay between Hercules and Sangoya on the right saw the latter fire a low cross into the box.  It was missed by Ty Deacon, but fell to Harry Jones, who made no mistake at the far post to score the Ducks’ third goal.  The game ended on a worrying note as Mark Riddick was injured in a challenge in his own penalty area and had to be helped from the pitch with an injury to his ankle.  Despite this, it was another encouraging win to follow up the result against AVDFC on Tuesday evening.

The focus now switches to the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round match against Fairford Town on Saturday 7th August, where we prepare to welcome fans to The Meadow for the first competitive match since the FA Trophy defeat against Margate in November.  We look forward to seeing you all as we embark on what looks to be another exciting season for the Ducks.