Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Dunstable Town inflicted a fifth successive defeat on Aylesbury, as United's spectacular end of season collapse continues.

The result was some revenge for the 4-0 drubbing Dunstable received in the reverse fixture, and Aylesbury look a million miles away from the standard they set in that game back in November.

Whilst injuries have undoubtedly taken their toll, the facts show that United were without just three of the players who started that fixture and this was just another hugely disappointing performance.

The match started slowly with both teams struggling for quality, but the first decent opening came the way of the Ducks when Mead's cross in following a throw-in picked out Sam Swonnell for a free header but he could only direct the ball past the post.

The hosts quickly followed that up when Luke O'Malley ran onto a long ball which, not for the first or last time, wasn't dealt with by the defence. His early shot had the air of a spectacular strike and had to be smartly dealt with by Tom Vincent.

Swonnell had a shot deflected wide after an intelligent ball in from Neil Roberts, who had popped up on the left. Moments later Nathan Graham headed wide after Swonnell's clipped ball in allowed him to nip in ahead of keeper Taylor.

Aylesbury were making the better of the chances, but there defence was always looking frail and they were made to pay when a deep cross in left Mead exposed and he was out jumped by two players, Ryan Quinn making the telling contact and heading home. 1-0

Dunstable came close to doubling the score through O'Malley who tried to take matters into his own hands by going direct and running for goal with the ball, riding some half hearted challenges before his eventual shot was deflected wide.

Quinn might have done better when he went close again. Having turned his marker inside out with his twisting in the area, he went for goal but shot straight at Vincent.

Aylesbury recovered enough to force an equaliser on the half hour mark. Roberts' fine delivery from the right was met at the far post by Glen Hawkins who left Taylor no chance with his close range header. 1-1

The equaliser went a long way to restoring some confidence in the ranks, but it was soon shattered as Dunstable put the pressure back on and were ahead again within five minutes.

Firstly Elliott capitalised on a mistake by Lafayette to run clean through and lob the stranded Vincent, but his shot only found the roof of the net.

What proved to be the winner was created by O'Malley cutting inside and picking out the right ball for a suspiciously offside Elliott who finished past Vincent with aplomb, to cue heavy protests from United. 2-1

Dunstable kept up their strong finish to the half and almost added to their lead when Quinn collected Vincent's clearance but shot high and wide of the empty goal.

Half-time: Dunstable 2-1 Aylesbury

Ten minutes after the restart Aylesbury wasted a good chance to level when Hawkins blazed over the bar from inside the area, but the going was tough and was made even tougher when Roberts was forced off with an earlier sustained injury and replaced by Mark Jones.

The Ducks kept plugging away but were struggling to make an impression, and instead it was the home side who looked more likely to add to the scoring as their direct style caused the makeshift defence plenty of problems.

Lafayette turned a sent a low cross spinning towards his own goal, luckily Vincent was alive to the danger, then Elliott used his strength to fend off the attentions of Mark Boyce before seeing his shot held by the Aylesbury stopper.

O'Malley had another effort when he again got himself on the end of a long ball, but this time fired his low shot wide across the face of goal.

Swonnell saw a first time effort skew well wide of the target, and Marsh struck an ambitious effort well over the bar as Aylesbury continued to be frustrated in their efforts to get close to Dunstable's goal.

Things did improve in the closing stages of the match when the Ducks went close on a number of occasions. A free-kick from Mead curled just past the post with Taylor rooted to the spot, Hawkins fired wide at the near-post from Swonnell's ball in, and Lafayette headed straight at Taylor as United once again couldn't make their chances pay.

It was the Blues who had the final say when O'Malley got the better of Lafayette but once again pulled his shot across goal, and had to be content with his earlier assist and not a goal his performance deserved.

For Aylesbury it was yet another defeat, and with third placed Atherstone to visit in just two days time and the squad already down to the very bare bones it will be a huge test for the squad.