Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Sandhurst Town

3 6

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (2-2)  
1Player ImageJack SILLITOE7
2Player ImageLee BIRCHAM7
3Player ImageZack REYNOLDS7
4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
5Player ImageJohn MULHOLLAND8
6Player ImageBen HAMMOND8
7Player ImageBen BAINES8
8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS7
9Player ImageLouis AUSTIN9
10Player ImageStacey FIELD12 27m 7
11Player ImageBen BUTLER7
12Player ImageRussell CLARK10 27m 7
14Player ImageTony JOYCE
15Player ImageMichal KORPALA
16Player ImageMatt TIMBERLAKE
MManager ImageTony JOYCE
Match Report


Two goals from Ben Hammond on his full debut and a first two goals in Aylesbury colours for Louis Austin helped the Ducks advance to the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy quarter finals by winning a dramatic nine-goal thriller 6-3 at Sandhurst Town.

It meant a seventh straight win of the excellent run of form United are in, but at times the result as in doubt as a depleted squad were hindered by further knocks testing their resilience to the limit. But Aylesbury dug deep and finally secured the game with an 82nd minute winner, having thrown away a two-goal cushion to trail 3-2 at one point.

Another barnstorming start to the game saw two early efforts from Stacey Field come to nothing, before Louis Austin was taken down on the corner of the penalty area running between defenders. The free-kick was taken square to Ben Hammond who crashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner to give United a fourth minute lead. 1-0 Aylesbury

The Fizzers had their first shot at goal soon afterwards when John Mulholland’s clearance was charged down, the ball breaking kindly for the dangerous Perry Coles whose shot was dived on comfortably enough by Jack Sillitoe.

In the tenth minute a bizarre incident between Field and a Sandhurst player resulted in a yellow card for Field, who came out of the challenge with a shoulder injury and was clearly in some discomfort. After soldiering on for seven more minutes he was replaced by Russell Clark – leaving United with only Joyce and Timberlake as remaining subs (with Korpala on the bench in name only).

Aylesbury were firmly in control of proceedings at this point and had good chances to extend their lead when Mulholland met a free-kick but saw his header fly off a defender for a corner kick, the first of which came to nothing, the second punched clear by the keeper.

Austin had a goal disallowed for offside, before the same player met a Lee Bircham cross but was unable to generate the power needed to test the stopper.

He went closer still two minutes later when Hammond picked up a poor defensive header before squaring for Austin whose well placed shot was cleared behind en route to goal.

The home side proved they were still capable of attacking threat when a decent shot from the edge of the box was well blocked by United’s defence, whilst Sillitoe had to be alert to beat away another effort by Coles after he ran at the Ducks backline.

Austin finally got the goal he and Aylesbury deserved on 39 minutes. After a good build up down the left both Baines and Butler were unable to turn the ball in, before it broke to the arriving Austin who smashed it in past the men on the line and off the underside of the bar. 2-0 Aylesbury

Butler then had a great chance when he was presented with the whole goal to aim at seconds later, but the goalkeeper made a block when he shouldn’t have been able to, but even with a two-goal advantage the match really should have been beyond Sandhurst.

As some complacency grew into Aylesbury’s game, sloppy defending allowed the hosts to draw level in a flash. Firstly Bircham was unable to clear a long, crossfield ball, allowing Glen Faircloth to twist one way, then the other, before finding the net. 1-2

Sandhurst drew level in stoppage time to complete a hideous five minutes for United. A deep ball in from wide saw Matty Day get to the ball ahead of Mulholland and head past Sillitoe. 2-2

Half-time: Sandhurst 2-2 Aylesbury

Once again, Aylesbury started the second half well and Hammond struck a free-kick straight into the wall, Austin fired over on the volley after Baines’ cross from the byeline was palmed away by the keeper, before the hard working Baines was denied by the keeper who sprung from his line quickly to smother.

The resulting corner was volleyed goalwards by Mulholland but blocked in the area, whilst Butler also saw an effort turned away as United kept the pressure on.

Completely against the run of play disaster struck, as the Fizzers completed their comeback with a third goal. Day went on a long run and cut inside from the left flank before planting a low effort beyond Sillitoe, who will be disappointed not to have got down quickly enough to save. 3-2 Sandhurst

Having established the lead for the first time, Sandhurst would have been bitterly disappointed that it lasted just two minutes. Conceding numerous fouls throughout the second half, one such challenge sent Austin tumbling in the box for a penalty, from which Hammond made no mistake to score his second of the night. 3-3

Three minutes later a free-kick from Zac Reynolds flew wide, before the game entered something of a lull.

Aylesbury’s walking wounded were having to muster all the fight they could in the closing stages, with Butler the latest to pull up – joining a role call of Field, Williams, Bircham and Mulholland struggling their way through as Tony Joyce kept himself warm on the sidelines.

United dug deep, and in the 82nd minute swung the game back in their favour. Another free-kick conceded by Sandhurst proved costly, as Bircham played in a fine delivery right onto the head of Mulholland, allowing the big defender to simply redirect the ball into the net. 4-3 Aylesbury

There was nearly a spectacular equaliser for the Fizzers when a fabulous dipping effort dropped just over Sillitoe’s bar, but it was Aylesbury who finished the stronger and two stoppage time goals gave a healthier, if slightly flattering, complexion to the game.

On 92 minutes Austin did brilliantly to beat two defenders on the byeline, his cross-shot spooning off a combination of defender and goalkeeper and hitting the inside of the post, where Baines applied the final touch of a header to make sure the ball was in. 5-3 Aylesbury

A minute later and Austin completed his great night’s work of two goals and two assists with number six for his side when he ran through and confidently finished. 6-3 Aylesbury

In the end it was a comfortable-looking conclusion to the match for the travelling Ducks and a second six-goal haul in ten-days for Aylesbury, though in reality the match had been anything but comfortable.

With a slightly extended break Tony Joyce will be hoping those players with niggles are fully recovered for Sunday’s FA Vase tie against Kidlington.

Minute by Minute Updates

A first start for Ben Hammond tonight, in place of the unavailable Steve Hatch. Also unavailable is Joey Acheampong, with Louis Austin in as direct replacement

Bottom Meadow is almost identical to North Leigh and Holyport as visited by Aylesbury last season with just the one 'flat pack' style stand on the halfway line

I hate tempting fate, but it will be 7 straight wins for United if victorious tonight...

19.50 and still no sign of the home team coming out. Must be mind games!

We're underway at Bottom Meadow

0. Field allowed to come inside from the right, low left footed effort comfortably dived on by the keeper
1. Hammond links up with Austin before crossing, slid wide by Field but from an offside position
3. Austin wins free-kick on the corner of the box running between defenders...
4. GOAL! 1-0 Aylesbury. Field rolls the free kick inside to Hammond who crashes home an unstoppable top corner shot
7. Mulholland clearance charged down, ball breaks through for a Coles shot which Sillitoe dives to catch
10. Field booked
12. Field down with an injury to his rib area by the look of it
14. Now Sandhurst's captain is down injured
27. Aylesbury sub: Clark on for Field who was struggling
27. Shutts booked
28. Free-kick met by Mulholland at the far post, out for a corner kick...
First one poor, second one punched clear by the keeper
29. Austin goal disallowed after being slid through, offside
30. Bircham cross in met by Austin but can't generate enough power on his header to test the keeper
32. Hammond received poor defensive header, did well to pick out Austin square whose placed finish is cleared behind for a corner...
Punched out by the keeper again
34. Sandhurst ball forwards flicked on but they're offside
37. Good shot from the home side well blocked by Aylesbury on the edge of the box
37. Austin beats the offside trap, hangs up a cross which the keeper tips away
38. Coles runs at the defence, shot beaten away by Sillitoe
39. GOAL! 2-0 Aylesbury. Austin follows up to rifle in off the bar after Baines and Butler unable to squeeze home
40. Butler with an open goal blocked by the keeper
Williams pulled up in the build up... we don't need another injury! Korpala isn't here so only Joyce/Timberlake on the bench
41. GOAL! 1-2 Sandhurst. Bircham makes a mess of a clearance allowing Coles to turn him inside out and fire across the box where a striker finishes
43. Handball awarded by Mitchell for an Aylesbury free-kick on the byeline
44. Ben Baines took the ball off Mulholland's head
45. Austin played in, attempted lob shot deflected behind for corner... punched out yet again!
46. GOAL! 2-2. Deep ball headed in by Matt Day getting ahead of Mulholland
47. Coles comes inside and fires wide

HT: Sandhurst 2-2 Aylesbury - Some very casual defending has seen the Ducks throw away a two-goal lead

Second half has kicked off...

How long before we see Joycey on?!

Matt Timberlake has returned to the bench with outfield kit on!!!

4. Austin wins free-kick on edge of the box
Hammond's effort hits the wall and goes straight through to the keeper
6. Williams sets Baines away, gets to the byeline before crossing which is palmed away by the keeper to Austin who can only fire over on the volley
9. Keeper off his line quickly to deny Baines after ball put over the defence
9. Corner volleyed goalwards by Mulholland but blocked en route to goal
12. Butler effort turned away by the keeper
13. GOAL! 3-2 Sandhurst. Comeback complete as Day steps in and plants a long shot past Sillitoe
14. AYLESBURY PENALTY! Won by Austin
15. GOAL! 3-3. Ben Hammond scores penalty
18. Free-kick from Reynolds goes wide
Field, Williams, Bircham, Mulholland, and now Butler, all looked injured at some point tonight
21. Mulholland heads clear, ball drops to Coles who volleys wide
33. Near post corner comes to nothing
34. Curling effort from Coles after Cummings levered the ball back to him easily caught by Sillitoe
37. GOAL! 4-3 Aylesbury. Bircham puts a free-kick on Mulholland's head who guides it home
39. Fabulous dipping effort comes in from Sandhurst, just over the bar
41. Hammond audaciously tries his luck with a 40-yard free-kick with the keeper out of his goal, goes over
45. Shot from Austin straight at the keeper
47. GOAL! 5-3 Aylesbury. Austin beats two men on the byeline, his low effort spoons off a defender where Baines heads in to make sure
48. GOAL! 6-3 Aylesbury. Austin scores!