Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Match report by Chris Howarth

Three goals, a clean sheet and a very much valued three points for The Ducks as they beat Dunstable Town 3-0 at the Meadow. Goals from Callum Mapley, Sonny French and Harry Jones tucked the game to bed before Dunstable Town had two men sent off in the last ten minutes.

Without a win in their last four, The Ducks flew out of the blocks to try and make sure they picked up all three today. In the third minute, a clearance from the Ducks back line caused an awkward bounce for the Dunstable defence, this subsequently allowed Max Hercules in behind, but his effort could only sting the hands of Connor Coulson in the Town goal.

Ten minutes in, Sonny French played a driven through ball to Hercules, he crossed towards Aaron Berry, but the ball was just too far in front of the striker to get on the end of.

2 minutes later Hercules won a free kick deep in the Dunstable half down the right-hand side, and it was from this free kick that United made the breakthrough. Jake Bewley whipped the ball in towards the back-post and Callum Mapley rushed onto the end of it to head home the opener. 1-0 Aylesbury

After 18 minutes, The Ducks kept coming. The Town defence misjudging a pass from Berry which put French in behind the lines. The midfielder cut back for Oran Swales to shoot but he was denied by Coulson, the rebound fell to Berry, but his shot was deflected over.

The resulting corner brought the second. Bewley’s short corner made its way to French on the edge of the box, he took one touch and drove a shot which snuck its way in at the near post. 2-0 Aylesbury

The game slowed down on 25 minutes as Greg Williams was down receiving treatment for a hard but fair challenge by Chris Wreh.

Town had their first real attempt after half an hour as Daniel Trif drove forwards and played Joe Mead down the right. His driven cross caused confusion between Wreh and Alex Taylor, but the former was able to recover the ball to have a shot on goal, however Archie Davis held onto the effort.

After 37 minutes. Two fantastic saves kept Dunstable in the game. French drove onto a pass from Hercules and set the ball back for Berry to drill a shot towards goal, somehow Coulson tipped the ball onto the post and was able to make it back onto his feet to deny Ollie Hogg off the rebound.

Into stoppage time of the first half, French managed to maraud his way through two Town defenders before having his strike blocked.

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Dunstable

The second half opened nothing like the first and United had to wait ten minutes for the first opening. After plenty of attempts at trying to have a shot on goal, Hercules managed to spin his man and drove a shot from his right foot. However, Coulson managed to hold onto it at the second attempt.

A minute later, Swales managed to find a route through the Town defence and drove towards it making space for a strike, his effort was drilled towards the bottom right corner but, again Coulson was there to make another great save. The Ducks made the first change of the game as Swales was replaced by Harry Jones.

After 63 minutes, The Ducks were 3 goals to the good. Williams chipped the ball down the right-hand side for Anthony Ball, he drove it across goal for Jones to tap in at the back post. He had only been on the pitch for four minutes. 3-0 Aylesbury

The Ducks defence held the Dunstable attack to a minimum of chances and kept pushing. With 68 minutes played, French played a ball towards Hercules, the ball deflected on its way through, but the Winger still managed to have an audacious crack on goal by volleying just past the post.

With 15 minutes to play, Ben Seaton was sent on to replace French in midfield. Dunstable had to wait until the last ten minutes to cause any real danger. Saul Williams swung a corner onto the head of Charlie Black, but he could only place it wide. The Ducks then replaced Berry with Tre Mitford in their last change.

Town trued to claw their way back but came up short on 84 minutes when James Lauder intercepted the ball 30 yards out and tried a shot, but it flew over the bar. No real trouble for the Ducks.

With three minutes to play, chaos broke out. Saul Williams put in a tough challenge on Hogg and the two went nose to nose in the afters. The two teams then broke out into a mass confrontation leading to Okito swinging an arm in Hogg’s direction.

The referee resorted to sending off Saul Williams for the challenge on Hogg. Gedeon Okito was also sent off for his part in the afters taking the visitors down to nine men. Hogg was booked for his part and a member of the backroom staff at Dunstable was also sent to the stands.

With a minute to go, the resulting free kick led to the Ducks hitting the bar. Bewley placed a cross towards Jack Wood who hit the bar with a header. The game closed at 3-0. A comfortable win for The Ducks which adds a much needed three points to the tally and a first win since the start of February.