The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



A goal late in the game ensured Team Bath's unbeaten record against Aylesbury remained intact. Danny Nicholls had named an unchanged team to that which dispatched of Northwood on Tuesday night, although the bench looked somewhat stronger.

The early stages suggested an easy win for the Ducks, as they controlled the match playing the ball around confidently. All they had to show for their efforts in the opening quarter hour was a Dean Powles header from Mead's free-kick which was comfortably held.

United did capitalise on their good start though. Jaggard was brought down outside the area, and Jonathan Bewers stepped up to curl home the free-kick to perfection for his first goal in green and white. 1-0 Aylesbury

Team Bath almost mustered an immediate response just moments later. Dean Smith came close with a shot on the back of a free flowing attacking move, before striker Sean Canham headed Danny Maye's cross over the bar.

Good work down the left by Mead presented Gary Crawshaw with a chance, but his header dropped narrowly wide of the far post. At the other end Jack Rashid had to be alert to smother a header from Adi Adams under pressure.

Bewers went close to doubling his side's advantage before the break, controlling a throw-in then firing over with his left foot, before Mr. Baker blew for half-time.

Half-time: Team Bath 0-1 Aylesbury

Drew Roberts made his return from injury to replace Crawshaw for the second half, but it was Team Bath who had the first effort on goal, Sean Canham again threatening. This time his half-volley went wide.

Five minutes later Rashid made his first save of the day. Bath's captain Marc Canham drove into the box and drilled a low effort towards goal which Rashid parried away at the bottom corner.

Roberts had an excellent chance to mark his comeback with a goal as he used his pace to spring the offside trap, turn the last defender and fire for goal. Chitty did well to save his low shot, and the ball trickled agonisingly wide of the far post.

Three minutes later Jaggard headed Roberts' hanging cross against the post, when he had all of goal to aim at. The following in Edgeworth failed to steer the rebound home under pressure from his marker.

The Ducks began to lose their way as the second half progressed, with some nervousness creeping into the away side's play. Sean Canham rattled the woodwork with a diving header with the game entering the last twenty minutes.

Roberts had another 1v1 with the keeper, having been released by Edgeworth, but again Chitty came out on top, saving the shot with his legs.

Jaggard was the last in a succession of players to be put clean through, his chance being created by Lazarus retrieving the ball in midfield then playing the killer pass, but the striker couldn't get his shot away before being tackled.

Team Bath counter attacked rapidly, and their quick movement and free passing undid United's defence, Sean Canham finally netting a goal after Aylesbury were unable to clear their lines. 1-1

Danny Nicholls brought on Jamie Kearns in an attempt to create a winning goal, but time wasn't on his side, and he couldn't get into the game. Roberts did have a final run down the left, but his cut-back didn't reach Jaggard.

An away point secured by Aylesbury, and at least it brings an end to the recent run of league defeats, but this was a game that could have been won had the chances on offer been taken.